• What will Trump mean for Amtrak?

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by John_Perkowski

Except for the possibility that President Trump may have DOT/FRA relax the rules on passenger safety, let's not descend into a discussion of existing policy please.
  by Steampowered

David Benton wrote:Mr Trump does not strike me as a detail man( to put it mildly). While he may " openly lament the lack of high-speed rail in the United States", I'm pretty sure he would have no idea of the costs or logistics involved.
In 8 years what did Obama do, nothing. Im sure if they dedicated money it would be built
  by David Benton

Steampowered wrote:
David Benton wrote:Mr Trump does not strike me as a detail man( to put it mildly). While he may " openly lament the lack of high-speed rail in the United States", I'm pretty sure he would have no idea of the costs or logistics involved.
In 8 years what did Obama do, nothing. Im sure if they dedicated money it would be built
- High speed rail started in CA
- 110 mph running in Michigan
- Talgos
-!10 mph running on St.Louis line
-Tiger rebuilds of Amfleet 1 cafes
- Bilevel order

strange definition of nothing.
  by Rockingham Racer

David Benton wrote:
Steampowered wrote:
- Talgos
- Bilevel order

The President didn't have much to do with those directly. Funds are authorized in a different branch of the government, called the Legislature. Remember Obama's call for high speed rail at the beginning of his tenure? It didn't go too far because Capital Hill wouldn't let it. And it's going to be the same for Trump, unless he decides to donate some of his personal fortune. :wink:
  by Steampowered

David Benton wrote:
Steampowered wrote:
- Talgos
- Bilevel order

I think Nancy Pelosi relative was hired to do the CA project. California should just be dropped from the union for financial irresponsibility
  by electricron

David Benton wrote: In 8 years what did Obama do, nothing. Im sure if they dedicated money it would be built
- Talgos
- Bilevel order

strange definition of nothing.[/quote]
But few of these are actually fully in service. HSR tracks construction has started in California, but not the new trains. Miles of 110 mph service in Michigan, new BiLevel "Surfliners" on order, but not even the first pilot car has been completed much less entered service. New Talgos trains are running on the Cascade trains, but not more trains between Portland and Seattle, which is the ultimate purpose for these trains. A few miles of 110 mph service in Illinois, but most of the corridor should be at 110 mph by now and isn't, and like Michigan the new trains for this service haven't even had the first one built. Tiger rebuilds of Amfleet I cafe cars into coach cars completed, but not most of the new Viewliner II diners or sleepers yet.

Lots of projects partially complete, but few fully implemented. Sadly after 7 years, more should be fully implemented of completed by now. It's difficult to come out and propose funding more Amtrak projects politically with the slow pace of past Amtrak projects. It is easier to say yes for new projects when past projects arrive on time and below budget - it's more difficult to do so when the past projects are delayed and broke the budget.
  by electricron

David Benton wrote: - High speed rail started in CA
- Talgos
- Bilevel order

But few of these are actually fully in service. HSR tracks construction has started in California, but not the new trains. Miles of 110 mph service in Michigan, new BiLevel "Surfliners" on order, but not even the first pilot car has been completed much less entered service. New Talgos trains are running on the Cascade trains, but not more trains between Portland and Seattle, which is the ultimate purpose for these trains. A few miles of 110 mph service in Illinois, but most of the corridor should be at 110 mph by now and isn't, and like Michigan the new trains for this service haven't even had the first one built. Tiger rebuilds of Amfleet I cafe cars into coach cars completed, but not most of the new Viewliner II diners or sleepers yet.

Lots of projects partially complete, but few fully implemented. Sadly after 7 years, more should be fully implemented of completed by now. It's difficult to come out and propose funding more Amtrak projects politically with the slow pace of past Amtrak projects. It is easier to say yes for new projects when past projects arrive on time and below budget - it's more difficult to do so when the past projects are delayed and have broken the budget.
  by Woody

electricron wrote:
David Benton wrote: - High speed rail started in CA
- Talgos
- 110 mph running on St.Louis line
- Tiger rebuilds of Amfleet 1 cafes
- Bilevel order
But few of these are actually fully in service. HSR tracks construction has started in California, but not the new trains. Miles of 110 mph service in Michigan, new BiLevel "Surfliners" on order, but not even the first pilot car has been completed much less entered service. New Talgo trains are running on the Cascade trains, but not more trains between Portland and Seattle, which is the ultimate purpose for these trains. A few miles of 110 mph service in Illinois, but most of the corridor should be at 110 mph by now and isn't. ...

Lots of projects partially complete, but few fully implemented. Sadly after 7 years, more should be fully implemented or completed by now. ... difficult to [propose more] so when the past projects are delayed and have broken the budget.
An excellent example of Obama derangement syndrome. You think of Obama and you can't think straight. Now you blame him for CAF and Nippon-Sharyo, while actually, your examples suggest that private business can't make deadlines. LOL.

And over and over you are WRONG to suggest that as a group the Stimulus projects should have been completed by now, except for those that have been done and service begun (e.g., the Vermonter route).

The Stimulus deadline, passed by Congress, is for the paperwork and check-writing to be finished in this fiscal year. To get it done by September, most or all of the states are hurrying to finish by the end of June. There may be some states that slip the deadline, but they not will approach the delays of Nippon-Sharyo and CAF, those prodigies of private industry. Maybe any delays you see are projects funded by FY 2010 appropriations, which don't have a deadline this year (New Haven-Hartford-Springfield ?)

Two new frequencies on the Talgo's route Seattle-Portland will be added this year, take it to the bank. The biggest unfinished business is the new Tacoma station, where local interests squabbled about the proper location. It used to be that one party liked to make speeches about keeping government close to home, at the state and local level, not concentrating all powers in D.C. Now you are suggesting that Obama should have intervened in Tacoma to decide the location of the new station in that fair city?

Most of the projects upgrading the Raleigh-Charlotte segment of the Piedmonts and Carolinian have been completed, with work underway on the new Raleigh station.

Double tracking, new signaling, and new station facilities in and around Albany seem to be making good progress.

The very short segment of 110-mph in Illinois was more a photo-op than a real project. The full first phase of upgrades on 70% of the route St Louis-CHI will kick in by the end of the 2007 fiscal year, tho lacking new bi-levels.

Last but not least, you absurdly blame Obama for broken budgets on these projects. Are you saying Obama invented cost over-runs and broken budgets? And exactly which, if any, of the Stimulus projects have gone over budget?

Obama proposed investing about $4 Billion a year after the 2010 budget. Congress shot down that proposal, year after year. Lessee, if Obama had got the $4 Billion a year that the haters squashed, we'd probably have new single-level cars on the assembly line, a follow-up order for more Viewliners, an order for new diesel locomotives, and more 110-mph routes out of CHI: CHI-Indy-Cincy, CHI-TOL-CLE, and CHI-St Paul. That's about $25 Billion diverted from Amtrak infrastructure to tax cuts for the richest of the rich. But you think it's Obama's fault?
  by electricron

For what it is worth, I didn't add politics to this thread, keeping my comments just to Amtrak. Politicians have not been running or managing Amtrak. While many projects are finally getting done, I'm still not impressed with all the problems and delays Amtrak has experienced.
Of course, most of the Amtrak projects aren't being managed by Amtrak. Many states have been managing them, although the ultimate user will be Amtrak. Maybe Amtrak should have been a more active participant managing these projects? Then again maybe not, as the projects with the most delays have been managed by Amtrak.
Last edited by electricron on Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by Tadman

Moderator note

48 hour cooling off period. This thread is not about Obama at all. This thread is not about Trump's personality or mentality. It's about his policy and execution of the policy. Please keep it on topic. Please also remember that although politics is hard to keep out of a thread like this, it's easier to derail the topic so an extra helping of tact and thoughtfulness is required.