• CMQ Motive power

• Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).
Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).

Moderator: MEC407

by MEC407

KSmitty wrote:...one of the 2 (2002, I think) in Rockland suffered freeze damage...
How'd they manage to do that? Is it beyond repair? I know they're looking to dump the B23s anyway, but still, freeze damage is so preventable...
  by 690

They were drained properly for the transit down to Brunswick, then their mechanics added the necessary fluids to get them started again, they were idling overnight, and the 2002 shut down for whatever reason and the freeze damage occurred. The railroad certainly didn't let it happen intentionally, and they did make an attempt to get it going again (iirc they might have even got it running again), but with their impending replacement, it wasn't really worth the effort involved, especially with traffic down dramatically on the Rockland Branch.
  by Dcl1332

690 wrote:They were drained properly for the transit down to Brunswick, then their mechanics added the necessary fluids to get them started again, they were idling overnight, and the 2002 shut down for whatever reason and the freeze damage occurred. The railroad certainly didn't let it happen intentionally, and they did make an attempt to get it going again (iirc they might have even got it running again), but with their impending replacement, it wasn't really worth the effort involved, especially with traffic down dramatically on the Rockland Branch.

So it sounds like if they need 2002 up and running again they more then likely can get it running again. It's not like 2005 that more then likely will never run again. Surprised that they only leave one active locamotive on the Rockland branch even with the low traffic because if 2001 gose down you have nothing unless they plan on using a Pan Am locamotive again.
  by Dcl1332

Dcl1332 wrote:
690 wrote:They were drained properly for the transit down to Brunswick, then their mechanics added the necessary fluids to get them started again, they were idling overnight, and the 2002 shut down for whatever reason and the freeze damage occurred. The railroad certainly didn't let it happen intentionally, and they did make an attempt to get it going again (iirc they might have even got it running again), but with their impending replacement, it wasn't really worth the effort involved, especially with traffic down dramatically on the Rockland Branch.

So it sounds like if they need 2002 up and running again they more then likely can get it running again. It's not like 2005 that more then likely will never run again. Surprised that they only leave one active locamotive on the Rockland branch even with the low traffic because if 2001 gose down you have nothing unless they plan on using a Pan Am locamotive again.
Well I gess It was a quick repair. I just saw a post on Facebook including a photo (link below) from Thomas Coulombe and 2002 is working the Rockland Branch. So it looks like 5 of the B23-7 are up and running again.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/themonoli ... 1413510002" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by 690

No, the 2001 is now out of service.
  by KSmitty

Amazing how quickly they can fix something when something else breaks...lol
  by Dcl1332

690 wrote:No, the 2001 is now out of service.

Just down for maintionance or down with a major problem?
  by KSmitty

Electrical issues. From what I understand, its now in the same place 2002 was. Done until 2002 dies, or they need power on the branch because business is boomin'...
I'll let you guess which is more likely to happen first.
  by eustis22

if only the CMQ reestablished the passenger trips to Rockland. They could use that BAR 502 they got sitting around doing nothing.
  by MEC407

502 needs, I suspect, a pretty decent amount of work before it could reliably pull anything. I agree that it would be great to see it back in service someday, and the Rockland Branch is hard to beat for coastal scenic beauty.
  by KSmitty

MEC407 wrote:502 needs, I suspect, a pretty decent amount of work before it could reliably pull anything. I agree that it would be great to see it back in service someday, and the Rockland Branch is hard to beat for coastal scenic beauty.
4 traction motors, and a bunch of electrical gremlins worked out. It was put away in good mechanical order, but not electrical, if that makes sense. It might be easier/cheaper to rewire the unit and upgrade it to -2 specs.
  by Backshophoss

IF 502 is rewired,changing to Dash 2 specs would be not be cheap,as you are changing the Hi-Voltage and the control systems
in a F unit carbody,rewire "in kind" would be easier to pull off.
And it would be a historical type restoration.
  by Dcl1332

The other problem right now is that CMQ would also need some passenger cars. I know there are some old BAR passenger cars left at Derby including Burnt Hill but how much work would be need to fix them up. I don't think any of them have ran since MMA took over. Think around that time most of the passenger equipment was sold off including 100.
  by MEC407

P&W's cars might become available in the not-so-distant future if new owner GWI decides to take P&W out of the excursion business. I imagine they won't be cheap, though.

Another possibility might be for CMQ to rent one or two of NBSR's passenger cars for special events like the Lobster Festival, the Blues Festival, or a foliage special.

That said, I don't think CMQ has even the slightest desire to be in the excursion business either. It would require, among other things, expensive insurance that might not be offset by whatever money they'd make from ticket sales.

A more likely scenario for excursions on the Rockland Branch might be an occasional Amtrak/AARPCO/MBRRE special. And, perhaps someday, MEC 470 steam excursions (presumably with Downeast Scenic's passenger cars). If BAR 502 is rebuilt, it could tag along as 470's helper/backup.
  by KSmitty

When CM&Q has used passenger equipment. They've taken 1, maybe 2 system tours, they borrow equipment from Vermont Rail System. But I don't know if that stuff is set up for excursion or business...