• CMQ Motive power

• Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).
Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).

Moderator: MEC407

by Dcl1332

690 wrote:At least some of the traffic Pan Am is running through Keag never went over CMQ to begin with. A lot of it went via NBSR-CN instead of NBSR-ST-CSX. That traffic is some of the traffic that Pan Am is trying to recapture, not necessarily trying to take traffic away from CMQ (although obviously if they can, they will, and vice-versa).
That would make sence. I think what surprise me with Pan Am it takes a 20 to 30 car train to Keag and on a number of times it's just the engines coming back. CMQ trains on job 1 & 2 there running about what they were before. I am not sure I think we're CMQ loss some business was on the jobs from Brownville junction to Northern Maine junction (sorry can not think of the number). But those train are still running strong.

It's nice to see that CMQ is having to add some power right now to handle the trains. Forganted part of that now is because 9004 is down and looking to need some work at Derby, but that's only four units they own that are down right now (note that includes 2005 and 502 which have never run a day under the CMQ banner). I have to give them credit they been doing a good job of gettting themselves out of the MMA shadows.
  by Dcl1332

Looks like CITX 3071 and 3082 are back on lease. Nice to see them back. Is there any update on how repairs are coming on 9004 and 9022 (haven't seen or heard much about it sence it was painted).
  by 690

Afaik the 9022 hasn't run at all since the CMQ got it, from what I was told there was some sort of persistent problem with it that keeps popping back up (or doesn't go away with in the first place).
  by KSmitty

Didn't one of them have a bad block?
I was thinking it was 9022.
  by 690

9014 was supposed to get the prime mover switched out at some point; unsure if that has happened or not yet, but I think the issue with the 9022 is an electrical one, not a mechanical one.
  by Dcl1332

690 wrote:9014 was supposed to get the prime mover switched out at some point; unsure if that has happened or not yet, but I think the issue with the 9022 is an electrical one, not a mechanical one.
I remember reading that 9014 was to have that done at some point. With 9022 that would make a lot of sence otherwise why would you paint a locomotive with a mechanical issue that you have to take it appart to fix, or use for parts. Hopefully it will be running soon.
  by KSmitty

Dcl1332 wrote:I remember reading that 9014 was to have that done at some point. With 9022 that would make a lot of sense otherwise why would you paint a locomotive with a mechanical issue that you have to take it appart to fix, or use for parts. Hopefully it will be running soon.
You would paint everything at once, regardless of its mechanical condition as long as it is deemed repairable and is expected to be back in service. The reason is simple. Painting was done by outside contractors. You run all your units through the booth while its operating, and while the out-of-town folks are here. Second you send someone away, then call them back you dramatically add to the cost. Sure the paint might get beat up a little if you have to pull part of the hood for a major component swap. But a few scratches will reflect better upon a companies image than someone else's 30 year old paint job will.
  by jwhite07

What happened to all of the GP38-3s that CMQ was supposed to get? 3812 appeared with much acclaim back last summer, but since then... not a word of more. Weren't they getting eight of them?
  by doublestack

jwhite07 wrote:What happened to all of the GP38-3s that CMQ was supposed to get? 3812 appeared with much acclaim back last summer, but since then... not a word of more. Weren't they getting eight of them?
Here's 3812 working west out of Brownville last week, third unit back.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wat0h9HcmBI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

video by Maine Train Chaser
  by jwhite07

What happened to all of the GP38-3s that CMQ was supposed to get? 3812 appeared with much acclaim back last summer, but since then... not a word of more. Weren't they getting eight of them?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wat0h9HcmBI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks. That fourth unit, 3815 - perhaps another from the group, just not repainted?
  by Dcl1332

jwhite07 wrote:

Thanks. That fourth unit, 3815 - perhaps another from the group, just not repainted?
3815 did come out of the same shop as 3812 at the same time so It could be. I have ask the same question a couple of time on this form and as of right now it's an unknown what's going on at AMP beside CMQ my not be getting the original number we were told. Do to the fact that the B23-7 are going strong with the exception of 2 (note they are suppose to be replaced by the GP38-3) and a number of the SD40-2 being released it may be some time before we know more.
  by Dcl1332

Well good news from AMP two long term lease from LTEX. 3816 just finished and 3817 in the paint shop. 2 and 3 of the GP38-3.

Photo by Kevin Burkholder

http://www.railpictures.net/photo/607925/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by Dcl1332

Updated list of the present lease units CMQ after yesterday news. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.
23 total units (if my count is right).

GP38-3 / GP38M-3 (EMD)

4x CEFX 419, 420, 3803, 6537
4x LTEX 3812, 3815, 3816, 3817

GP35U (EMD)

12x LTEX 2516, 2522, 2525, 2535, 2540, 2542, 2550, 2556, 2558, 2561, 2573, 2574,

SD40-2 (GMD)

3x CITX 3071, 3082, and 3091

At Derby not on lease 3 units

SD40-2 (GMD) CITX 3053

SD40-2T (EMD) PRLX 2856 and 2858

Credit to http://www.thedieselshop.us/CMQ.HTML" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, Kevin Burkholder, jjoyce1, ksmitty and CN9634 for the information.
  by Dcl1332

News on the AMP front. 3816 has left AMP and spotted in Bison Yard in Western New York on the way to CMQ.

sources Matthew Langworthy
  by mkittredge

3816 came through St. Johnsbury, Vt. at 14:00 on last Friday. Does anyone know if CMQ has taken delivery? And if not already when?

Mike