• Amtrak Autumn Express Thread

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by ngotwalt

Ok, so I went and consulted and old official guide, and these figures are ballpark, so get out probably a minimum of 20 minutes before and be prepared to wait possibly 30-45 minutes for it. But here it possible schedule based on the October 1942 Official guide.
Dpt:
NYP: 8:00
NWK: 8:10 (locomotive change, could add 10 minutes, maybe...)
Easton, PA: 9:49
Bethlahem: 10:09
Allentown: 10:20
Emmaus: 10:31
Alburtis: 10:42
Topton: 10:55
Lyons: 11:02
Blandon: 11:18
Reading: 11:32
Wernersville: 11:48
Wormelsdorf: 12:00PM
Lebanon: 12:32
Annville: 12:41
Hershey: 12:54
Hummelstown: 1:02
Harrisburg: 1:22

From there on out, I would consult an Amtrak Keystone service timetable.

Cheers,
Nick
  by ThirdRail7

jackintosh11 wrote:Will the locomotives switch back to electric power during the photo stop at Lancaster?
"Probably.'
jackintosh11 wrote:I'd guess around 5:00 at zoo, 3:15 at Harrisburg
A little late for Harrisburg but spot on for Zoo. Remember, there is a photo shoot in Lancaster which will eat up a significant amount of time.
hazmatmess wrote:Amtrak has the train number as 805 for both days. Are they going to use the same number over the radio while on NS tracks? Or does NS have a special number for Amtrak trains?
NS has a special number for the train on both days.
ngotwalt wrote:Ok, so I went and consulted and old official guide, and these figures are ballpark, so get out probably a minimum of 20 minutes before and be prepared to wait possibly 30-45 minutes for it. But here it possible schedule based on the October 1942 Official guide.
Dpt:
NYP: 8:00
NWK: 8:10 (locomotive change, could add 10 minutes, maybe...)
Easton, PA: 9:49
Bethlahem: 10:09
Allentown: 10:20
Emmaus: 10:31
Alburtis: 10:42
Topton: 10:55
Lyons: 11:02
Blandon: 11:18
Reading: 11:32
Wernersville: 11:48
Wormelsdorf: 12:00PM
Lebanon: 12:32
Annville: 12:41
Hershey: 12:54
Hummelstown: 1:02
Harrisburg: 1:22

From there on out, I would consult an Amtrak Keystone service timetable.

Cheers,
Nick
Pretty impressive, Ngotwalt. If you show up at the above times, you are unlikely to miss the train..but you may have to wait 20 minutes or so.
  by hazmatmess

liftedjeep wrote:Let's put it this way.......
I too had inquired about when the Autumn Express would be through a certain area. Is there anyone on the forum who is also riding the excursion either one of the two days that would be willing to give "live updates" as to the train's location throughout the day via Railroad.net? In other words, maybe once a half hour or hour, post the excursion's whereabouts?
I know that's a lot to ask, especially when you're trying to enjoy the trip AND paid for it, but I know all of us "not as fortunate foamers" would greatly appreciate it!
Just throwing the idea out there...Thanks!
Ben

I will be on the train on Sunday. I will post when we leave NY Penn, Newark. Should have no problem posting when we hit Bound Brook NJ and Easton Pa. All depends on cell coverage. I will do my best to post more.
  by njtmnrrbuff

Remember that the train departs NWK Penn at 8:30. Arrival into NWK will probably a few minutes later then 8:10 but for those who want to photograph the train coming into NWK Penn, get those cameras ready at 8:10.
  by GirlOnTheTrain

A suggestion to those wanting a play by play: there are plenty of Amtrak-related foamer groups on Facebook that I'm sure will be littered with updates.
  by AmtrakLocomotiveEngineer

From posts on Facebook, the train is scheduled to stop in Lancaster at 245pm for a photo op. Looking at the public timetable, it will be following train #670 east out of Harrisburg.
  by bokres

The Morning Call, Lehigh Valley's newspaper, has the following timetable in today's edition.
Crossing Delaware into Easton about 10:00 a.m.
Through Freemansburg into south Bethlehem about 10:30 a.m.
Allentown rail yard about 10:45 a.m.
Harrisburg 1:50 p.m.
Lancaster 3 p.m.
No times given between Allentown and Harrisburg because Amtrak didn't want to commit to possibly unsafe viewing spots but did say that the train will be going through Emmaus at about 50 mph.
  by Jeff Smith

naugatroll wrote:A suggestion to those wanting a play by play: there are plenty of Amtrak-related foamer groups on Facebook that I'm sure will be littered with updates.
Facebook? Never heard of it. Post updates HERE! :wink:
  by hazmatmess

Same here: don't have, don't want it, glad I got rid of it. I will post here on Sunday as I will be on the train. Going to Bound Brook tomorrow to see it.
  by SouthernRailway

Sounds like Secaucus is the place to be for those of us in Manhattan who want to see the train cruise through? I assume that it won't be going through the EWR airport station.
  by njtmnrrbuff

Tomorrow morning, I will be in Union and later in the day, either Hamilton or Princeton Jct. On Sunday, I will be in Cranford near Park Ave.
  by jackintosh11

Any word on how it'll be boarding in Penn Station? I have some ClubAcela passes, I might just use those if it means I can get on early.
  by ngotwalt

Okay so update, the North end of the Amtrak General boarding lounge is reserved for AXP. Boarded at 7:35ish, tracks 9&10, both escalators.
Nick
  by mzu2006

Just started moving