• Amtrak Autumn Express Thread

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by liftedjeep

Obviously I know that anything is possible, but can anyone guesstimate about what time during either one of the two days that the excursion will be through the Philadelphia area? Id really like to get pictures either along the Keystone Corridor or NEC. I'm just hoping it's not too dark by the time the train passes through. Thanks!
  by liftedjeep

jackintosh11 wrote:I'd guess around 5:00 at zoo, 3:15 at Harrisburg
Thank you Jack!
  by CentralValleyRail

just checked both days are sold out...

13 cars is the official count plus the 3 engines.
  by jackintosh11

The conductor on last year's Autumn Express told me they purposefully undersold the train and didn't sell the rows that don't have a window, at least last year. I assume they did the same this year.
  by Stephen B. Carey

Does this trip have assigned seating? Or better question, have the previous trips had assigned seating?
  by deathtopumpkins

Last year's did not.
  by Nicholas Chen

2014 did not as well.
  by CLamb

Any advice on tracking it for those of us who want to photograph it on the Lehigh line and don't have a scanner?
  by rwk

All tickets gone? Oh well. The train's route is so close to me though, like at Emmaus, Macungie. We could go there to see it go by. When was the last time a public train excursion went between Allentown and Reading? Anyone know? The special excursions the past few years (Aug 2013 Lehigh Limited, Nov 2014 Autumn Express, and last year's 765 trips from Bethlehem to Pittston) didn't travel that portion. 765 did in July 1988 between Bound Brook, NJ and Reading, PA and 2102 in May and October 1988 between South Hamburg-Temple and Jim Thorpe via Allentown. Those are the last public trips I'm aware of that traveled that route. I'm sorry I can't ride it, but my mom didn't think she could handle it this time.
  by Sisko24

rwk wrote:I wonder what the ignorant people in Lehigh and Berks County will think when an Amtrak train whizzes by on a normally freight only line? When was the last time the public could ride the tracks between Allentown and Reading? None of the excursions the past few years covered that segment, the Aug 2013 Lehigh Limited, the Nov 2014 Autumn Express, or last year's 765 trips from Bethlehem area to Pittston. In July 1988 the 765 did cover that segment as well as 2102 in May and October 1988.
I was on one of the previous Autumn Express trips which went up along the Susquehanna, across the bridge at Rockville and back down on the Columbia secondary. We traversed quite a few sections of track that hadn't see passenger rail in quite a while. There were quite a few very surprised looks from drivers, pedestrians and others as we cruised by. I remember in particular, one woman coming out of her house and looking at this long Amtrak passenger train going along her backyard. It was amusing to see her expression. But all in all, most of the onlookers seemed pleased and many waved enthusiastically, especially parents and their very excited young kids. Looking forward to this trip particularly as I missed last year's excursion. Even better for me, this one leaves from one of my 'home' Amtrak stations. Yee-haw!! :-D
  by hazmatmess

Amtrak has the train number as 805 for both days. Are they going to use the same number over the radio while on NS tracks? Or does NS have a special number for Amtrak trains?
  by bokres

Does anyone have a time frame for when the train will come through Bethlehem, Emmaus and Macungie?

Just an ignorant Lehigh County resident.
  by liftedjeep

Let's put it this way.......
I too had inquired about when the Autumn Express would be through a certain area. Is there anyone on the forum who is also riding the excursion either one of the two days that would be willing to give "live updates" as to the train's location throughout the day via Railroad.net? In other words, maybe once a half hour or hour, post the excursion's whereabouts?
I know that's a lot to ask, especially when you're trying to enjoy the trip AND paid for it, but I know all of us "not as fortunate foamers" would greatly appreciate it!
Just throwing the idea out there...Thanks!
Ben