• All things Pennsylvanian AND Keystone West

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by westernfalls

Maybe, one of these days, ThirdRail7 will quit with the intrigue and give us a hint of what he's talking about.
ThirdRail7 wrote:If you wait until next month, (Jan at the outside) the Pennsylvanian is likely to have a slightly different look, particularly on the Keystone corridor. :wink:
chuchubob wrote:Train 42 on January 25 looked remarkably similar to train 42 on Thanksgiving Sunday, except with the usual six cars instead of seven.
David Benton wrote:Was it an ACS64 to Harrisburg?
Fan Railer wrote:Perhaps whatever was planned fell through?
ThirdRail7 wrote:Actually, it changed and changed back. You missed it that quick. However, other things may be afoot.
  by Rockingham Racer

Don't knock ThirdRail7. He does his best to keep us informed, within the constraints of what he's allowed to put our to the public.
  by ACeInTheHole

I like ThirdRails riddles, they give you something to solve rather than letting the cat out of the bag all at once.
  by ThirdRail7

Rockingham Racer wrote:Don't knock ThirdRail7. He does his best to keep us informed, within the constraints of what he's allowed to put our to the public.
Which is becoming more and more difficult. Anyway, don't worry about it. As I indicated, one of the changes came and went in a blink of an eye.
  by Jeff Smith

MassTransitMag.com
PA: Officials Considering New Funding Option for Commuter Rail Line

"I think there's a pretty strong case for the addition of more trips from Amtrak through to Pittsburgh as an economic tool for the Johnstown region and other areas," state House Transportation Committee Chairman state Rep. John Taylor, R-Philadelphia, said. "People could get in and out of Pittsburgh for the day. Now, you really can't get there via Amtrak, work for the day and get back."

Committee members have been in recent discussions about who could lead the plan and how to best position it for federal dollars, Taylor said. He said he's been working with a group preparing proposals for state Transportation Secretary Leslie Richards.

"Our recent idea would be to push for federal government funding under the new transportation act," Taylor said. "We're looking for the initiating entity, which seems like it would be PennDOT."

PennDOT also has been weighing the possibility of adding a second train each day for passenger service through Amtrak on the tracks: Norfolk Southern's main line, which connects Johnstown, Greensburg and Altoona and other stops to Pittsburgh already, PennDOT spokesman Richard Kirkpatrick said.
  by Suburban Station

Well now that's interesting. I wondering if they will bring back the fort pitt (which was the wrong train at the time). Johnstown, Latrobe, and Greensburg all have reasonably nice stations. Pittsburgh has plenty of capacity at the station..even the old station is in good condition and level with the platforms
  by Amtrak67 of America

The one change to the Pennsylvanian that will be starting sometime this month that I'm sure will outrage the buffs is that the ACSES will be flipped on the Harrisburg Line(Keystone) and because many diesels aren't equipped with acses yet, the electric will be tied on the front of the diesel to Harrisburg station where the electric will be cut off. That's what I heard a few weeks back and I don't think that plan changed.
  by Rockingham Racer

That scenario would not outrage me.
  by Jeff Smith

Will it be a toaster? Or 642? Or 704? (wait, that's 3rd rail, never mind...) :wink: Sooper rare....

Don't mind me, just indulging myself.
  by jp1822

Let's say there were enough cab cars to go around and the Pennsylvanian would operate cab car forward on the NEC in all situations, would it now be more feasible or easier to do the engine change in Harrisburg, as opposed to getting down in between the high level platforms to the track at Philly? The only train that now has its power switched out is the Pennsylvanian. IF a means could be done to do it in Harrisburg (pending enough cab cars) could the engine change revert back to Harrisburg? The crew base at Harrisburg has grown a bit since all electric service has resumed on the line. I always viewed the engine change at Philly much harder and trying to move it back to Harrisburg might actually save Amtrak some labor costs - and be safer. The business class car would have to be moved next to the locomotive. Just curious..........
  by Amtrak67 of America

Just like I posted the other day, 42-43 is running with an electric ahead of the diesel over the Harrisburg Line because of the new acses rules in affect for half the line. Yours truly is running one of them today. ;)
  by Jeff Smith

Mr. America ( :wink: ), why drag the diesel along on the electrified portion? Why not, similar to New Haven, just switch off the electric for the diesel and vice versa?

I hope sometime I can catch up with you in that territory; the PA'n, even having only ridden it once RT, is one of my favorite rides.
  by ThirdRail7

Jeff Smith wrote:Mr. America ( :wink: ), why drag the diesel along on the electrified portion? Why not, similar to New Haven, just switch off the electric for the diesel and vice versa?

I hope sometime I can catch up with you in that territory; the PA'n, even having only ridden it once RT, is one of my favorite rides.

This is one of the things I was alluding to. With ACSES in effect, and most diesels not being equipped, an electric would need to lead over the HAR line. As such, they decided to MU the engines at their point of change, which is PHL. This is because HAR doesn't have an effect pit or maintenance base for the equipment. HAR is basically a turnaround point and forward inspection point. It is not a designated repair facility for the equipment. At HAR, the lead engine is quickly cut off and doesn't require a back up move. The same goes for train 42. They can quickly add ahead and the whole kitten kaboodle gets cut at PHL.

This kind of ties in to JP's point:

jp1822 wrote:Let's say there were enough cab cars to go around and the Pennsylvanian would operate cab car forward on the NEC in all situations, would it now be more feasible or easier to do the engine change in Harrisburg, as opposed to getting down in between the high level platforms to the track at Philly? The only train that now has its power switched out is the Pennsylvanian. IF a means could be done to do it in Harrisburg (pending enough cab cars) could the engine change revert back to Harrisburg? The crew base at Harrisburg has grown a bit since all electric service has resumed on the line. I always viewed the engine change at Philly much harder and trying to move it back to Harrisburg might actually save Amtrak some labor costs - and be safer. The business class car would have to be moved next to the locomotive. Just curious..........
There are no facilities to repair the equipment at HAR. They already exist at PHL, which (like New Haven) also doubles as a midpoint relief base in the zone. PHIL has inspection pits built underneath the platforms, has an engine house and a repair facility for the coaches. Duplicating this operation for the few Keystone starts and the Pennsylvania wouldn't save labor costs, nor would it be safer since HAR is in the middle of a major modification.

As for the cab cars, I do think you would be able to squeak by since the Vermonter no longer needs them, but it would car for car. There isn't room for error.
  by ACeInTheHole

Amtrak67 of America wrote:Just like I posted the other day, 42-43 is running with an electric ahead of the diesel over the Harrisburg Line because of the new acses rules in affect for half the line. Yours truly is running one of them today. ;)
So much for the excitement of running a diesel. lol
  by chuchubob

Thanks for the heads up, Mr America.
train 43 arriving PHL from New York
power moving in for the change at PHL
train 43 departing PHL for points west