• New Hampshire Central Railroad (NHCR) Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by Dick H

If other situations, where railroads have stored cars, especially tank cars, are any indication,
look for protests from residents in the area where the cars are stored. A similar situation
just took place on the Saratoga and North Creek RR in NY. In that case, the railroad changed
their plans and did not bring in the cars. However, the town attorney advised the selectmen,
that federal law would prevail over any local attempt to prohibit the cars from being stored
in the area. In the NHCR case, perhaps most of the cars will be stored out in the boonies,
so out of sight, out of mind, will keep the NIMBY action to a minimum.
  by NHV 669

Back when they previously maxed out the storage there, they had tank cars poking out nearly all the way to the diamond....

The NIMBY's up north are worried about turbines and Northern Pass killing their views, I doubt they'll notice these cars until the local rag writes something.
  by MEC407

Photo by Gary Knapp:

https://neverhomeboy.smugmug.com/Pan-Am ... -zTtLT47/A" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by bigfreight

NHCR just came thru Lancaster with the Pan AM rental unit headed south with one boxcar and 24 tank cars all with flammable placards .
  by RAJ21985

Thank you for the updates! What a great looking engine- is this being utilized in addition to their engine, or is this a replacement for the time being?
  by bigfreight

NHCR headed north thru Lancaster with one boxcar. At Page Hill Road right now. NHCR has leased this engine from Pan Am for 90 days. NHCR7324 is N Stratford at the car shop. they need it daily for the car shop and switch Rymes Oil tank cars and cannot really spare it for the Groveton to Whitefield line and this project with the tankcars going into storage. Pan AM 52 has very distinct horn on it and looks pretty good in its heritage MEC paint job. I will enjoy watching while it is down here. I would think it probably used get over this way back in the MEC day's.
Last edited by bigfreight on Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by svobronco

Should be in addition to the 7324. It's got to be costly to shuttle a loco from N Stratford to Groveton every time there needs to be a move, I'm sure StL&A doesn't do it for free. I wonder if they could get the 44 Tonner back from the state? It's still lettered for them....
  by bigfreight

PANAM52 came thru Lancaster headed south toward Hazen with 1 box car and 20 tank cars . All the tanks cars so far have SHPX reporting mark.
  by bigfreight

Yes they are going into storage for a period of 12 to 18 months. Should be a total of 350 cars.
  by Reader#108

I got to chase it yesterday and speak with Mr. Jeffrey. Heck of a nice guy.

As bigfreight had stated......350 cars to be stored. You can see them from the diamond in Whitefield.
All blocked off with signage and an orange temp gate.

They will not run Sunday :-)