• Interesting Consist Discussion for the South Side

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by Diverging Route

I just saw a 4-pack depart South Station: GP-R-R-F-15xx. I guess it's good for a Fairmount Shuttle...
  by JonY12

Diverging Route wrote:I just saw a 4-pack depart South Station: GP-R-R-F-15xx. I guess it's good for a Fairmount Shuttle...
Saw a similar consist but with HSP-46 2030 leading on the Middleborough Lakeville Line. Cab car is 1521
  by Komarovsky

The Loram rail grinder has been sitting on a siding in the Worcester Yard for about a week now. Rail grinding time again?
  by dbperry

P533 (Framingham Worcester outbound local departing South Station at 6:05 PM) last night (Thursday 4/23/15) was a four coach set - all doubles. Was crowded but not jam packed. Didn't see what was pulling us.
  by jmar896

Yesterday around 9AM I was on the 8:40 train from Worcester when a GP40MC pulling a 4 car all bi-level train passed us.
  by ted_roy

Any one see a train on the Framingham/ Worcester line, 4 cars and a GP40MC, all low and including a single Amtrak coach? IIRC, Tuesday 4/28/2015
  by Diverging Route

ted_roy wrote:Any one see a train on the Framingham/ Worcester line, 4 cars and a GP40MC, all low and including a single Amtrak coach? IIRC, Tuesday 4/28/2015
It's the "Geo Train." This morning it was at BET. I believe 1513 was the control car.
  by dbperry

Non-revenue equipment extra went inbound Worcester to Boston from around 7 am to 8 am on Friday 5/29. Per Twitter, it confused pax waiting for 508 when it didn't stop for pax. Looked like 'regular' set of double coaches pushed by loco, but I'm not sure - saw it out window of my train while it passed us at track speed. They snuck it into rush without delaying regular service - pretty impressive dispatching!
  by dbperry

Reliable sources indicate it was the return move of an extra set dispatched to replace a broken down set from the overnight layover yard in Worcester. The set that was initially thought to be broken down was fixed or made operational, and therefore the extra set was not needed. But it had already been dispatched from Boston, so it went back inbound as an extra. Good job Keolis trying to do everything they can to keep the schedule!
  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

as of Tuesday, 6/16

South Side...
PULL 32
MBB 11
BOMB 38
KAW 105
ROTEMS 28

214 total cars in service south side...leaving us with 40 trainsets, 3 of which have 8 cars, 1set with 7 cars, and three 4 car sets
  by chrisf

MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 wrote: 214 total cars in service south side...leaving us with 40 trainsets, 3 of which have 8 cars, 1set with 7 cars, and three 4 car sets
According to the NETransit roster, that's 19 coaches short for peak demand. Wow.
  by ACeInTheHole

chrisf wrote:
MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 wrote: 214 total cars in service south side...leaving us with 40 trainsets, 3 of which have 8 cars, 1set with 7 cars, and three 4 car sets
According to the NETransit roster, that's 19 coaches short for peak demand. Wow.
That would be plugged if the Rotems werent such dog piles. Its the double whammy with the Rotems and K-cars doing it.
  by ck4049

If the MBTA was smart, they would go down to Seaview and get some of those MBBs fired up again.
  by BostonUrbEx

ck4049 wrote:If the MBTA was smart, they would go down to Seaview and get some of those MBBs fired up again.
When I was taking CR regularly, I'd typically stand rather than be in one of those godawful MBBs.