• Interesting Consist Discussion for the South Side

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by 8th Notch

ohalloranchris wrote:Why are two locomotives and a control car needed for the wash train by the way?
The south side does not have a caboose to put on the train so a control car is pretty much the fix. The screamer is only on for HEP since the one leading loco cannot pass 480 through the tank car and wash unit. The 1006 has had traction issues lately so apparently they found another use for it.
  by MetroBostonRailways

I saw an interesting North-Side like set by the Braintree split today. It had a Rotem cabcar leading with three single level coaches, then another Rotem coach and an F40PH-2C pushing. the set was Bi - Single - Single - Single - Bi - Loco.
  by MBTA3247

By Birch St and North Ave? That's the only siding I can see in Abington where they could put something out of the way.
  by MBTA3247

Here's that stranded Sperry car, halfway between the Birch St and Plymouth St crossings:

by MetroBostonRailways

Keolis train#1009 to middleboro has F40PH Screamer #1015 coupled on the rear. 1015s nose is coupled to the cabcar on the rear
  by nomis

Currently on Tr9 at South Station is an HSP leading 1071 and a consist w/ Cab. 1711. It's going out as Train 2753 to Readville, I didn't catch a number on the HSP from my incoming Amtrak train.
  by harshaw

Coming home a couple minutes ago I saw what looked like some a set of flat passenger cars with a double decker car (of unknown make/model) parked in Beacon yard hooked up to a CSX loco. The livery looked to be silver? Perhaps Obama came in on this train to eat his pizza at Kendal square? :)