• Viewliner II Delivery/Production

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by trainmaster611

When can we expect these to go into service? And will there be a southbound train through Florida tomorrow carrying these cars?
  by ACeInTheHole

trainmaster611 wrote:When can we expect these to go into service? And will there be a southbound train through Florida tomorrow carrying these cars?
The second 8 car move is somewhere in the NYP area as we speak.
  by trainmaster611

So roughly what time can we expect it to pass through Orlando then?
  by ApproachMedium

The 8 new cars with one cafe move went last night with the 948. As for the one P42 hauling the dead engine and 19 cars behind it that is no a big deal. If one P42 could move the 50 car auto train barely up some hill with the other unit dead im sure this isnt as much of a problem. Plus they get good railroad for moves with the diesels, they dont want them getting stuck and smoking out.

Last nights move after change of engines in SSYD went direct to DC. The EOT is there to keep the freight railroads happy and syncs up with the P42/P40 engines.
  by gregorygrice

Here's video of the second move through Croton on the Hudson Line:

VIDEO: http://youtu.be/y79kaTjb4DM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Took photos of it at Peekskill then beat them to Croton. This one ran a little earlier than the first one.
  by Greg Moore

So have these all arrived in Florida?

Any idea on how long (assuming things go as planned) they'll take before entering actual service?

(Hoping to catch at least one on my Crescent trip in February.)
  by Matt Johnson

Same screeching that was evident in another video of a low speed pass - is that normal?
  by DutchRailnut

yes wheels screech when trains go under or over speed a track is designed for.
  by Tadman

Greg Moore wrote:So have these all arrived in Florida?

Any idea on how long (assuming things go as planned) they'll take before entering actual service?

(Hoping to catch at least one on my Crescent trip in February.)
Don't hold your breath, you don't just load up a million dollar boxcar with Greg Moore's low-brow Samsonite and ship it off to ATL... You wait for Miami Beach hotshots and their Louie's headed for P-Diddy's latest NYC party.

(sorry, just having a little fun with you guys. Happy holidays!)
  by ApproachMedium

Matt Johnson wrote:Same screeching that was evident in another video of a low speed pass - is that normal?
Sounds like stretch braking/power braking. They do this to keep the slack out when taking off and release once they know its all out.
  by gokeefe

I noticed the "million dollar boxcar" phrase seems to be getting some repetition in the thread.

Here is a list of everything that I could think of that distinguishes the new Viewliner II Baggage Cars from a boxcar (in this case a USRA 40', much like those used in Maine Paper Service by Pan Am Railways):
  • 125 MPH Certified Car Body
  • 125 MPH Certified Trucks
  • 125 MPH Certified Braking System & Components
  • Aerodynamic Under-Shrouding
  • Control Cable & Connectors
  • HEP Cables & Connectors
  • End of Train Lights
  • Brake Indicator Lights
  • Interior Lights
  • Interior Electrical Service/Circuits
  • Two Doors on Each Side
  • Walk Through Doors on Each End
  • Gasket Sealed Doors
  • Door Windows (w/FRA compliant glazing)
  • Car Diaphram
  • Ventilation/Exhaust Fans
  • Firearms Locker
  • Numbered twice on each side
I posted this because as I found myself thinking through these differences I noticed the list was quite a bit more extensive than one might initially expect, especially for "just" a baggage car. Perhaps others will too. Regardless, the new baggage cars are a minor marvel of modern engineering in their own right.
  by DutchRailnut

add to that wheel slip/slide system.
  by ApproachMedium

LOL there are no exhaust fans in these cars. Just vent ports on the roof. There is no blower heating system ONLY floor heat like a coach. Lets see how long that lasts before snow gets in because someone left a door open and shorts it out.
  by gokeefe

DutchRailnut wrote:add to that wheel slip/slide system.
There's a wheel slip system?