• Silver Line Dulles WMATA Metrorail progress/pictures

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by Sand Box John

The EGE"
I would go with Old Ox Road for 606, and Mooreview or Moorefield for 772. The 772 station isn't particularly close to Ashburn center.

Old Ox Road loops around the north and west sides Dulles Airport from the Loudoun, Fairfax County line in Stirling to VA US-50 in Arcola. That covers a lot of real-estate.

Moorefield is the name of the commercial development on the south side of the 772 station, Loudoun Station is the name of development on the north side.
Last edited by Sand Box John on Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by The EGE

Ah, thank you. I'm not too familiar with the area. I'm always suspicious of "X Gateway" and "X Landing" and similar names; I don't think they hold up as well over time as well as more localized names.

Is there any (very long term) thought of extending the line to Ashburn proper or to Leesburg?
  by JDC

The EGE wrote:Ah, thank you. I'm not too familiar with the area. I'm always suspicious of "X Gateway" and "X Landing" and similar names; I don't think they hold up as well over time as well as more localized names.

Is there any (very long term) thought of extending the line to Ashburn proper or to Leesburg?
I don't think there has been any serious discussion of any stations past Route 707 - that would be simply too far for Metro as a quasi-subway.
  by Sand Box John

"The EGE"
Ah, thank you. I'm not too familiar with the area. I'm always suspicious of "X Gateway" and "X Landing" and similar names; I don't think they hold up as well over time as well as more localized names.

To my knowledge, no. Let finish what's been started before thinking about extending that one further.

Ideas have been floated on extending others, Orange line to Centerville, Yellow line to Woodbridge, Green line to Laural. Me thinks Orange line to Chantilly and Blue line to Woodbridge would generate more boardings.
  by JDC

Sand Box John wrote:"The EGE"

To my knowledge, no. Let finish what's been started before thinking about extending that one further.

Ideas have been floated on extending others, Orange line to Centerville, Yellow line to Woodbridge, Green line to Laural. Me thinks Orange line to Chantilly and Blue line to Woodbridge would generate more boardings.
What about Yellow Line to Ft. Belvoir? A recent WaPo article discussed how the base is expected to grow to 60,000 daytime employees, with only a small fraction living on site, and how the amount of parking is not going to keep pace. For such a small extension it seems like it would generate a lot of 'bang for the buck' and allow Metro to discontinue its REX buses.
  by Sand Box John

"Sand Box John"

"JDC"
What about Yellow Line to Ft. Belvoir? A recent WaPo article discussed how the base is expected to grow to 60,000 daytime employees, with only a small fraction living on site, and how the amount of parking is not going to keep pace. For such a small extension it seems like it would generate a lot of 'bang for the buck' and allow Metro to discontinue its REX buses.

My mistake, Me thinks above should have read Yellow line to Woodbridge. Senility showing itself again.

Schema presently being proposed from Route 1 Multimodal Alternatives Analysis 10 09 2014 (7.88 MB PDF file).

Draft Recommendation: Phased Implementation:
Phase I: Bus Rapid Transit - Huntington > Hybla Valley
Phase II: Bus Rapid Transit - Hybla Valley > Fort Belvoir
Phase III: Bus Rapid Transit - Fort Belvoir > Woodbridge
Phase IV: Metrorail - Huntington > Hybla Valley *

*Contingent upon increased future land use density.

This is a really, really long phased implementation. The 3 Bus Rapid Transit phases are 2026, 2028 and 2032, Metrorail would not reach Hybla Valley until 2040.
  by mackievlzpro

Now that the time change has happened its much easier for me to see progress on my daily commute via the Greenway.
The crane and two drilling rigs have been steadily moving in the outbound direction over the course of the week. Rebar is sticking up out of the ground as far as the piers that will be closest to the Greenway. The rest of the ROW has been cleared of trees, and prepped for eventual construction.
  by JDC

One of the items on the agenda of the MWAA Board is granting a sole source contract to Alstrom to build an ATC training facility for Metro employees to familiarize them with the ATC system built into the Silver Line. The presentation to the Board is here (http://www.metwashairports.com/file/Tab ... cility.pdf), and a WP article on various goings on with WMAA is here (http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dr- ... ct-at-dca/).
  by Sand Box John

This in not really that big of a deal. It simply adds another level of training to the existing training given to folks that work in the signaling and train control maintenance shop

Under the contract for Phase I of the Silver line Alstom was required to provided training manuals, maintenance manuals and any special tools to WMATA to maintain the signaling and train control hardware and software.

WMATA is getting great deal out of this. They get a training facility for maintaining the latest generation of hardware installed on the Silver line and can use the same to learning how to maintain the upgraded hardware installed and being installed in the older parts of the system.
  by Sand Box John

"HokieNav"

Sorry for spoiling your picture. :)

Now you can recognize Sand Box John on sight.

Great shots.

Thank you.

The fellow I was with is www.roadstothefuture.com.
  by Sand Box John

Silver line page now at world.nycsubway.org.

The main page doesn't have the link in the Line By Line section yet.

There is a link to it in the Future Plans section.

The Time Line and the Surface / Underground Portions of Lines sections on the main page have also been updated to reflect the opening of the Sliver line.
  by farecard

Dulles traffic is falling through the floor:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/tra ... ml?hpid=z1

[tl:dr: National will have more px movements than IAD.]

If the Metro went there, it might help it compete, but seeing as how it's never going there, i.e. the terminal {as Cleveland & others do}, just somewhere nearby, I wonder.

The other plus would have been express trains. Airline travelers may accept a slower rail commuter before forking over for a taxi, but how much slower is an issue. I still hold forth that such could have been possible with a bypass track, as also suggested at GGW. http://greatergreaterwashington.org/pos ... ment-35608
  by gokeefe

I saw the same article. The main point was that domestic traffic has fallen off, however international traffic is growing.

They seemed to be making things into more of a crisis than they actually are. If anything this is simply an indication that MWAA should raise their Passenger Facility Charge and other fees at National. It's a premium option that should come with a premium price. The article hinted, very subtly, at this possibility when they mentioned that MWAA can now share revenues between facilities. Dulles has a very viable long term future which is only going to be enhanced by the Silver Line and other capital improvements for many years to come.

Washington DC is going to look a lot like London and in a few years people may likely see Dulles as the better option.
  by justalurker66

farecard wrote:If the Metro went there, it might help it compete, but seeing as how it's never going there, i.e. the terminal {as Cleveland & others do}, just somewhere nearby, I wonder.
Do you really think a few hundred feet is success or failure? Seems picky to me.