• Cape Flyer

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by Dick H

Some of the Boston TV Weather people are banging the drums about
Tropical Storm or possibly Hurricane Arthur affecting the weather "on
the Cape" Friday into Saturday. This could cause daytrippers and others
to change their plans and go elsewhere.
  by The ViRoCo

What ever happened to the MBB coaches that were in Middleborough on the Alden Siding?
  by jonnhrr

According to NWS Arthur is supposed to intensify to hurricane strength off Cape Hatteras then the track shows it possibly grazing Cape and Islands late Friday / Early Saturday. Rain would probably begin before that.
  by Clean Cab

I fear the dire weather predictions will scare off riders for this coming holiday weekend for the CapeFLYER. Even if the storm does not get severe as some predict, there will still be a lot of rain through Saturday morning. Bad for potential riders and bad for rail fans taking pictures.
  by GP40MC1118

Hearing the Army Corps is lobbying for the cancellation of the Flyer Friday due
to the weather...

D
  by BandA

It's too early to cancel something like this...cancellation should be based on wind, and the weather folks don't have an accurate track.
  by highgreen215

It's the Army's bridge, they can exercise caution if they think it's necessary. One Flyer round trip cancellation will not ruin the season.
  by Clean Cab

There will be no weather severe enough (aside from a lot of rain) to force the suspension of the railroad bridge operations. Top winds speed for Friday night are only expected to reach 20 to 30 MPH.
  by BenH

Apparently there is a new "bike coach", with room for 50 bikes, on this evenings train.

Here's an image:
http://ow.ly/i/66rjd
from the CapeFlyer Twitter feed, which also reports that tonight's eastbound run is "packed".

Here's a link to the CapeFlyer Twitter feed too:
https://twitter.com/CapeFLYER1
  by The ViRoCo

I was all ready for the passenger counts tonight when the Flyer was supposed to report them to the Old Colony, but they weren't ready yet, and they would report them to the "chief" later on. All I heard was 90 got off in Buzzards Bay. Any more numbers?
  by Clean Cab

585 passengers on tonight's CapeFLYER. Not too shabby considering the area is under a tropical storm warning.
  by The ViRoCo

Today wasn't better, probably due to the weather and all. Here are the counts:
Boston: 182 on w/ 5 bikes
Braintree: 8 on w/ 5 bikes
Middleborough: 6 on w/ 0 bikes
Wareham: 4 on, 4 off w/ 0 bikes
Buzzards Bay: 5 on, 5 off w/ 5 bikes (?)

I'm not too sure about BB, all I heard from the dispatch was "5-5-5."
  by Bill Reidy

I was at Buzzards Bay this morning and saw about 25-30 get off. No bikes observed -- hardly surprising, given today's weather forecast.

Looked like the train crew has two bi-levels open for passengers, along with the cafe car. All three seemed fairly well populated.
  by MickD

200 this morning in Hyannis..
  by Clean Cab

Only 15 passengers on last night's (7/4/14) train back to Boston.