• Cape Flyer

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by MickD

From the CSR at HTC...
Total number of arrivals
in Hyannis this weekend
was 1011
  by BenH

While we wait for the next weekend of CapeFlyer service...

Here's an interesting historical report that I just happened to come across:

"Railroad Service from Boston to Brockton and Cape Cod"
https://archive.org/details/reportrelativeto1974mass
Legislative Research Council
Commonwealth of Massachusetts
March 27, 1974
37 pages

The report is full of interesting historical information, if your interest is freight and passenger service on Cape Cod.
  by The ViRoCo

Press Announcement from the CapeFLYER by E-mail:

HYANNIS, MA - July 8, 2014 - This week, the Cape Cod Regional Transit Authority, MassDOT and the MBTA encourage fans from the Greater Boston area to take the Friday night CapeFLYER to Wareham to watch a Cape Cod League Baseball game, showcasing the best amateur collegiate baseball players in America. The Friday night CapeFLYER departs South Station in Boston at 5:12 p.m and arrives at Wareham Village at 6:42 p.m. On July 11th at 7 p.m., the Wareham Gatemen host the Hyannis Harbor Hawks at Spillane Field in Wareham. Buses will transport train riders to and from the train station to the park or you can walk the one-quarter mile to the field. The return train will depart back to Boston at a special time to accommodate the game - 10 p.m. rather than 9:40 p.m.
The Wareham Gatemen play two other Friday night home games - on July 18 and August 1 - and the CapeFLYER will also run on this special schedule for those games as well.
Cape Cod RTA Administrator Tom Cahir stated, "The Friday night train presents a really wonderful opportunity for baseball fans to see a Cape League game in person. Patrons can enjoy the delicious food and drink catered by Blonde on the Run from the Cafe Car and have a very comfortable ride back to Boston after the game.
  by highgreen215

It's really encouraging to see the flexibility of the Flyer scheduling to accommodate major events. That's the type of creative thinking that will make the Flyer successful: accommodate the customers, don't make them accommodate a rigid railroad schedule. That's what brings more riders.
  by Dick H

Cape Cod Canal Centennial Celebration from July 25th to August 3rd.
Many special events going on, as listed below. Perhaps the Cape
Flyer schedule could work for some of the events on the two
weekends of July 25-27 and August 1-3.

http://capecodcanalcentennial.com/events/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by fl9m2004

Also Cape Cod Central is doing an excursion from Buzzards Bay station over the bridge to Sandwhich and return
I'm going to be on it with my family
  by Clean Cab

The Cape Flyer for Friday (7/11) had 147 passengers coming out of Middleboro and picked up more passengers at both Wateham and Buzzard's Bay. The evening train back to Boston had 74 passengers.
  by The ViRoCo

And only 5 people got off at Wareham, where the baseball game was held. Also, there was a bit of an incident near Buzzards Bay, where there was a drunk man on the train and was "bothering" another passenger. The crew asked the tower for police assistance, but cancelled it because the people being "bothered" just said to let it go. The drunk man got off at Buzzards Bay and was just wandering around. Was anyone here the "drunk man?" :-D

1061 leading south, 1050 leading north: a double-ended F40 Flyer. 1061 was last on the Flyer on the inaugural run, and it has that spectacular K5LA horn!
  by Rockingham Racer

Disappointing on the baseball game, but the notice was put out too late, probably.
  by The ViRoCo

205 people going to Cape Cod today, up to Middleboro. Not too shabby...
  by highgreen215

Confirm the 205 from a crew member at Wareham.
  by MetroBostonRailways

The ViRoCo wrote:And only 5 people got off at Wareham, where the baseball game was held. Also, there was a bit of an incident near Buzzards Bay, where there was a drunk man on the train and was "bothering" another passenger. The crew asked the tower for police assistance, but cancelled it because the people being "bothered" just said to let it go. The drunk man got off at Buzzards Bay and was just wandering around. Was anyone here the "drunk man?" :-D

1061 leading south, 1050 leading north: a double-ended F40 Flyer. 1061 was last on the Flyer on the inaugural run, and it has that spectacular K5LA horn!
Whats up with 010? also when the 010 is absent I dont get why they cant sub the 011 in instead. I saw the 011 a week ago and its just sitting in Middleborough with a consist in the layover yard
  by Clean Cab

The 010 is laid up for it's 92 day inspection. I was glad not to see it for a change. Ever since the Flyer started running last may, the 010 has been on the train 98% of the time, and I for one am glad to have a bit of variety for once.
  by MetroBostonRailways

Clean Cab wrote:The 010 is laid up for it's 92 day inspection. I was glad not to see it for a change. Ever since the Flyer started running last may, the 010 has been on the train 98% of the time, and I for one am glad to have a bit of variety for once.
Same here, I thought it was interesting to see the 1117 on the train for a while. Maybe they'll throw on an HSP towards the end of the summer
  by Rbts Stn

Rockingham Racer wrote:Disappointing on the baseball game, but the notice was put out too late, probably.
I'm not sure it's quite the "draw" folks on their side might think it would be.