• Connecticut River Line (Pan Am)

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by BenH

Here's a link to a set of 7 images that I took yesterday of the site where the new Holyoke station, on the Conn River LIne, will be built:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/26316537@ ... 060834804/#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Very little work has taken place along the right of way at this location, besides the assembly of a new turnout.

The condition of the station site suggests to me that it is highly doubtful that this station will be ready by the end of 2014. The number one problem is that there would appear to be one or more companies, including a dealer of power boats, using a large portion of the station site at the moment.

The design plans for the new station can be found on this link"
http://www.holyokeredevelopment.com/por ... nger-rail/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by BM6569

Is the former Holyoke station you pictured along the ROW? I'm guess that's why they wouldn't consider using it?
  by BenH

BM6569 wrote:Is the former Holyoke station you pictured along the ROW? I'm guess that's why they wouldn't consider using it?
Yes, the former station is along the right of way.

Here's a link to the report that explains why they selected the Dwight Street location over the former station site:

"Holyoke Station Feasibility Study and Site Analysis"
http://www.pvpc.org/sites/default/files ... 281%29.pdf
Pioneer Valley Planning Commission
March 2011
  by parkerdog

Today there was a crew working just behind Prolube Auto Center in Northampton (right at exit 18) building a large, tall retaining wall, I imagine to strengthen the embankment that the rails run on top of. Very cool to see!
  by theozno

Has any work been done near exit 20. I used to get off there a lot to get gas at the pride cross the crossing there and head down to exit 19 to get back on the highway south. I'D love to see pictures of that crossing being done (Damon rd)
  by BenH

theozno wrote:Has any work been done near exit 20. I used to get off there a lot to get gas at the pride cross the crossing there and head down to exit 19 to get back on the highway south. I'D love to see pictures of that crossing being done (Damon rd)
Some fresh ballast has been dropped on either side of the Damon Rd (Northampton) crossing but as far as I can see no real work has started yet at this location. As soon as there is something to look at I'll take some pictures.
  by jay.barnes

parkerdog wrote:Today there was a crew working just behind Prolube Auto Center in Northampton (right at exit 18) building a large, tall retaining wall, I imagine to strengthen the embankment that the rails run on top of. Very cool to see!
I kind of figured that they'd have to build some kind of retaining wall there- without it, that slope would just erode away, once they started using the station's running track...
  by Cadet57

Couple prefab turnouts on the Chicopee/Springfield city line.
  by BenH

For those interested --

The City of Northampton, Mass. Passenger Rail Advisory Committee will be meeting on Wednesday, June 18th at 5 p.m.

210 Main Street
Northampton

Agenda:
1. Old Business

2. Discussion and update on Pioneer Valley Rail issues:
GUEST: Tim Doherty, Director of Rail Programs, MassDOT

3. Discussion and Next Steps
  by lexon

Next to the rail trail today. There was a freight sitting pulled by #353. Hoppers and some gondolas. Pictures from station to where I carried the bike over to the Norwottock Rail Trail.
First picture in front of the station.

Other end of station looking North.

Bridge over Rt 9.

About halfway where to crossed ties have been for some time I believe.

Cross over point.

Plan to swing by again tomorrow and look at Damon Rd.

Rich
  by gokeefe

Half a century (or more) of decay...being reversed one tie, one plate, one spike at a time. Still amazing to see this project happening.
  by lexon

Still nothing being done at Damon Road today.

The below are at the Auto Salvage yard.

Saw only two workers at the crossing to the other rail trail behind Taco Bell. Not railroad workers according to the name on the truck. Lighter colored stone at this spot.

Rich
Last edited by lexon on Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by theozno

whats left to be done? Northampton to Springfield?
  by lexon

theozno wrote:whats left to be done? Northampton to Springfield?
The ribbonrail that was put down last year still has not been touched.

Rich