• Connecticut River Line (Pan Am)

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by Arlington

Is there some place were we could get a refresher on, ultimately, how much of the upgrades are just signal and ties+CWR, versus (any?) additional double-tracking?
Last edited by Arlington on Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by newpylong

Ben correction for your photo: The Running Track (now industrial) in Northampton will become mainline and the current main will remain mainline. So double iron from 18 to 13. At least that's the word on the street. How much gets down for day 1 is anyone's guess.

Current main is 10mph not 5.
  by BenH

newpylong wrote:Ben correction for your photo: The Running Track (now industrial) in Northampton will become mainline and the current main will remain mainline. So double iron from 18 to 13. At least that's the word on the street. How much gets down for day 1 is anyone's guess.

Current main is 10mph not 5.
Thanks "newplong" for the information. I've just updated and corrected the captions in my latest set.
  by newpylong

Station track turnout cut in today within CPF385.
  by BenH

Here's a link to a set of 9 images that were taken in Greenfield and South Deerfield earlier this week:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/26316537@ ... 964660430/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The South Deerfield images (in the Flickr set) show the locations that were mentioned in these two newspaper articles:

"Deerfield Select Board seeks to move railroad crossing to Conway Street"
http://www.gazettenet.com/search/124653 ... way-street
Daily Hampshire Gazette - 6/21/2014

"State unlikely to open former Conway Street railroad crossing in South Deerfield"
http://www.gazettenet.com/search/125055 ... -deerfield
Daily Hampshire Gazette - 6/24/2014

Here's a link to a Google map of this location in South Deerfield:
https://goo.gl/maps/l5ubS
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by Safetee

I've been watching this project ever so slowly unfold and have to admit that up to this point that the little here little there approach had me thinking that the first train would arrive not much sooner than 2020.

I am pleased to say that after a recent foray to South Deerfield, that I am a believer.To date many crossings have been done. Preliminary ties, ballast work, and surfacing has been done. CWR is laid out. The new turnouts for the most part seem to have been panelized.

Yesterday I noticed a heavily mechanized tree/brush cutting crew heading south laying waste to anything and everything standing within thirty feet of the row. And, maybe more importantly, tie plates neatly laid out on the shoulders in anticipation of the new rail.

I have heard that the NS rail gang will trot out on line July 7th. That's a week from Monday. Of course things can happen and
or unhappen, but as of right this second, I am starting to believe in maybe even train service by late 2014.
  by jay.barnes

Quick question for 'those in the know' (and I understand if there's no clear cut answer because, this CT River Line rehab job is not often done):

How does the line get its re-rating for higher speed? Is it done gradually, as new rails are laid down, crossings are redone, new switches installed, and new signals put into place? Or does it happen all at once, after all the work is completed?

Does Pan Am designate it for a new speed limit? Or does the FRA have to come through the line and inspect it, in order for it to pass muster?

Just curious, thanks,

-Jay
  by theozno

I am assuming just like the train that now goes to Norfolk, it will be running speed 59MPH then upped to 80 MPH as time goes on which, with the time gap the Vermonter has anyway won't make a difference for now. I am totally just guessing on this. Does anyone have any input on how they are going to go about this.
  by F-line to Dudley via Park

jay.barnes wrote:Quick question for 'those in the know' (and I understand if there's no clear cut answer because, this CT River Line rehab job is not often done):

How does the line get its re-rating for higher speed? Is it done gradually, as new rails are laid down, crossings are redone, new switches installed, and new signals put into place? Or does it happen all at once, after all the work is completed?

Does Pan Am designate it for a new speed limit? Or does the FRA have to come through the line and inspect it, in order for it to pass muster?

Just curious, thanks,

-Jay
The FRA administratively has to be the one to up the track class to its ultimate Class 4 rating. But of course a line can have a native Class 4 rating and not have anything close to a native Class 4 speed limit because of track geometry, localized conditions, temp restrictions, etc. It's an arbitrary designation about maintenance standards more than a speed limit.

It really doesn't matter--nor is it easy to tell--which came first: the FRA inspection and uprate between MPx and MPy or the stamping-out of a natural speed restriction. Presumably you could get the uprate but still have it dotted with temp restrictions where work is finishing up. It's especially difficult to track with freight, because Pan Am's not likely to adjust its schedules at all until it has actual Amtrak slots to schedule around. They don't run anything time-sensitive down the branch, and they will likely keep padding for daily construction delays even if they are moving physically faster on some stretches.

Most likely what you'll see with the first Amtrak schedules in Dec. is similar to how it went with the VT speed increases. Track work advances and gradually closes the gaps but the train makes roughly the same time, smooths out its speed without necessarily taking advantage of the new highest-speed stretches, and banks the improvements as on-time padding. Then the next set of schedules show a much more dramatic shortening of travel time as all that accumulated padding gets traded in and they start pushing to the new track speed. You won't be able to pinpoint exactly which lengths of track went to higher speed in what sequence relative to each other because the timetable still rules when the train is slated to arrive in Brattleboro from Springfield. So whatever's not done by the first Amtrak passenger timetables in 12/2014 will get cashed in on the first adjusted timetables in Spring 2015. Then maybe rinse/repeat on the next set of schedules in late-Summer if there's still mop-up work going on in a year. With Pan Am probably having more subtle timetable changes.
  by lexon

Today I took the rail trail up to the point behind Taco Bell in Hamp. The signal pole is on the ground and a new one is being put up a short ways from the old one. This is right where people and bikers cross.
Track crews down by the auto salvage yard, The last machine has a larger rotary broom sweeping the rails and road bed. Working there way south.
String of old hoppers for all the stuff along the tracks on the siding a little north of the station.

Rich
  by lexon

lexon wrote:Today I took the rail trail up to the point behind Taco Bell in Hamp. The signal pole is on the ground and a new one is being put up a short ways from the old one. This is right where people and bikers cross.
Track crews down by the auto salvage yard, The last machine has a larger rotary broom sweeping the rails and road bed. Working there way south.
String of old hoppers for all the stuff along the tracks on the siding a little north of the station.

Rich

A signal has been put on the base in the below picture.

Doing clean up work today.

Rich
  by HarmonicRock

Looks like there's an entire work train with all kinds of NS vehicles and interesting contraptions parked on the Greenfield Runner tonight.
  by newpylong

Tomorrow 7/7 the blitz begins.
  by jay.barnes

Coming home from work today (about 5:15PM), came across a pair of NS locos idling on the north side of CPR-16, with a MOW truck dropping bags of Pandrol clips about halfway between PCA and the power plant, heading south.
  by parkerdog

Large NS Rail Gang train set up on the Northampton station track along the rail trail this evening. Saw a kitchen car and a dining room car. Looks like a big group!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.