• Connecticut River Line (Pan Am)

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by dowlingm

lexon wrote:No more coal to the Mt Tom plant.

http://www.masslive.com/news/index.ssf/ ... er_default" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Rich
What was the origin point of the trains, please? West Virginia?
  by lexon

I read a few years ago in a news article, Providence, Ri. Low sulfur coal comes in from China.
I do know they did switched to low sulfur coal some years ago.

Rich
  by gokeefe

lexon wrote:I read a few years ago in a news article, Providence, Ri. Low sulfur coal comes in from China.

Rich
Imported low sulfur coal from China???? I doubt it very much. More like we export low sulfur coal to China from the Powder River Basin in Wyoming.
  by newpylong

They originally came in from CSXT from down south until the work was done at the plant then they started coming from the P&W. Their exact origins I do not know.
  by bwparker1

"GDF SUEZ operates a number of other power-generation plants across the country, including a number of hydroelectric plants in New England, and will encourage employees to apply to vacant positions in those companies. The Mount Tom plant is the only coal-burning plant in the northeast, Churchill said."

What about Bow in New Hampshire, did that shut down too?
  by newpylong

bwparker1 wrote:"GDF SUEZ operates a number of other power-generation plants across the country, including a number of hydroelectric plants in New England, and will encourage employees to apply to vacant positions in those companies. The Mount Tom plant is the only coal-burning plant in the northeast, Churchill said."

What about Bow in New Hampshire, did that shut down too?
They most likely mean their only coal burning plant.

Bow is PSNH and is very much modernized and alive.
  by gokeefe

lexon wrote:Coal, Where does it come from?

http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 8&start=15" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Rich
I am absolutely amazed that Chinese coal of any grade is economic for import to the east coast of the United States. They must be buying it from state subsidized mines.
  by whatelyrailfan

Could we please get "back on track" so to speak, and dispense with this conversation about coal?
Peace,
Jonathan
  by CN9634

gokeefe wrote:
lexon wrote:I read a few years ago in a news article, Providence, Ri. Low sulfur coal comes in from China.

Rich
Imported low sulfur coal from China???? I doubt it very much. More like we export low sulfur coal to China from the Powder River Basin in Wyoming.
The US is exporting more coal than it has in many years, perhaps above consumption. I had the trade data for a project regarding coal consumption v LNG consumption for domestic production of electricity.
  by Rockingham Racer

whatelyrailfan wrote:Could we please get "back on track" so to speak, and dispense with this conversation about coal?
Peace,
Jonathan
Second that. It seems this board could use a forum called Non-railroad topics, and when stuff gets off, the mod just sends it there. Is that a doable thing?
I'm not saying that the posters are off base; just off topic :wink:
Last edited by Rockingham Racer on Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by MEC407

Rockingham Racer wrote:It seems this board could use a forum called Non-railroad topics, and when stuff gets off, the mod just sends it there. Is that a doable thing?
It's doable, but it's not something us moderators have the ability to set up; it would have to be done by a site administrator. I would suggesting sending a message to our site admin, Jeff Smith, and talking it over with him.
  by gokeefe

What is the latest status of construction?
  by parkerdog

A couple days ago I saw crews laying new ties on the Northampton station track, working from around the Main St. overpass bridge to the new station site. All the old ties and rail have been completely removed and new ties are now sitting in their place. The former asphalt platform at the station has been completely torn up and there is no asphalt remaining.

A short stretch of new ballast has been laid on the Northampton Station track on the North St. overpass bridge and a short stretch behind Taco Bell/KFC (along the bike path).

Any other updates?
  by theozno

parkerdog wrote:A couple days ago I saw crews laying new ties on the Northampton station track, working from around the Main St. overpass bridge to the new station site. All the old ties and rail have been completely removed and new ties are now sitting in their place. The former asphalt platform at the station has been completely torn up and there is no asphalt remaining.

A short stretch of new ballast has been laid on the Northampton Station track on the North St. overpass bridge and a short stretch behind Taco Bell/KFC (along the bike path).

Any other updates?
I can't wait to head up that way sometime and see all the changes near exit 17.