• Cape Flyer

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by highgreen215

Speaking of ground braking, er . . . breaking, have they broken ground yet on the new Wareham platform? They better hurry up!
  by jscola30

BandA wrote:@jscola30: I've heard that the ground braking you refer to is much more energy efficient & reduces wear compared to standard air brakes. How long will it take to retrofit all the cars?

:P
  by Bill Reidy

Barnstable Patriot article today on plans for the CapeFLYER:

"To Tom Cahir, administrator of the Cape Cod Regional Transit Authority, that third span is the Cape Cod Canal Railroad Bridge. He’s happy that seasonal train service is returning after a successful first year, but had hoped for a couple of improvements that will have to wait until the summer of 2015...

"Over at the CCRTA, Cahir is preparing for a second season of “the best rail service in the country.” He said he wanted to make that service even better by adding a stop on the south side of the Canal, which would have served Island-boat-bound riders to Falmouth and Woods Hole who now detrain at Buzzards Bay and take a shuttle over the Bourne Bridge. “Everybody made their boats,” Cahir said, but a southside stop could have saved as much as half an hour of travel time.

"The other hope was to have a dedicated CapeFlyer out of Boston that wouldn’t make all the commuter stops between the city and Middleboro-Lakeville. Cahir takes care to stress that his train is not a commuter option but a seasonal weekend service; that’s why he’s not thrilled about an additional off-Cape stop in Wareham, but will work with it..."

See more on the train at http://www.barnstablepatriot.com/home2/ ... &Itemid=30" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

- Bill
  by deathtopumpkins

So does this mean that the CapeFlyer will still be piggybacking off of a regular Middleborough CR train this year? I thought having its own dedicated trainset was a done deal.
  by The ViRoCo

The CapeFLYER website in now live! CapeFLYER.com

*The schedule is not up yet, though. You can sign up for an e-mail alert.*
  by highgreen215

It will be interesting to see how many people use the new Wareham stop - there has not been regular passenger service of any kind at Wareham since Cape Cod & Hyannis days, and even that was spotty. I'm sure most residents of Wareham today did not experience the fast, comfortable travel to/from Boston the New Haven offered. My uncle commuted daily on The Cranberry in under an hour (if memory serves me correctly) and reliably so. But that was then and this is now. And as much as I support the Wareham stop, I don't see it as too successful unless there is an extraordinary effort by local interests, businesses and town officials of Wareham, Marion and Mattapoisett, and even the CCRTA itself, to publicize the advantages and convenience of the new service. Here we are at April 11th with the Flyer service about to begin in six weeks. What has been done so far??
  by BenH

DELETED

(I now see that Google dug up a PDF copy of the schedule that they posted back in February. The 2014 schedule apparently is still a work in progress.)
Last edited by BenH on Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by Bill Reidy

diburning wrote:Looks like Friday's trip is still an extension of 012? In that case, are they still using those 500-series coaches that were sent down there?
From last Friday's Barnstable Patriot article:

"The controversial changeover of MBTA operating companies, scheduled for July, prevented working out a southside Canal stop, Cahir said, but he expects the dedicated Friday night train will happen later that month."

Full article at: http://www.barnstablepatriot.com/home2/ ... &Itemid=30" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by The ViRoCo

Is it a priority to put one of the new HSP46's into the CapeFlyer consist? (This is being posted on the HSP46 and CapeFlyer topics)
  by MickD

I wouldn't think so..It's a limited seasonal service..
  by FP10

Didn't they favor the 010 and 011 last year? Since it's such a high profile train, I suspect they will continue to use newer locomotives on the consist, be it an MP or HSP.
  by sery2831

Yes no reason to not have the 010 and or the 011 on it. The HSP will be needed to train/qualify engineers for sometime.
  by highgreen215

They didn't use 010 and 011 exclusively. Saw F40s too.