• Cape Flyer

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by nomis

The schedule is now posted on their website...
  by NH2060

Apparently there's more. Not sure why this isn't listed in the official timetable unless it will be phased in later on in the season:
And, the service will add another trip to its schedule that will leave South Station on Fridays at 5:50 p.m.
http://www.boston.com/business/news/201 ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by The ViRoCo

Yay! This confusion about Middleboro can cease! :-D But now we will have to decide if Middleboro is called Middleboro or Middleboro Village... (Sarcasm, but look on the website, it is called Middleboro Village (mistake))
  by BenH

The ViRoCo wrote:Yay! This confusion about Middleboro can cease! :-D But now we will have to decide if Middleboro is called Middleboro or Middleboro Village... (Sarcasm, but look on the website, it is called Middleboro Village (mistake))
Looks like they just fixed the typo. Middleborough is back to being called Middleborough now.
Last edited by BenH on Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by BenH

NH2060 wrote:Apparently there's more. Not sure why this isn't listed in the official timetable unless it will be phased in later on in the season:
And, the service will add another trip to its schedule that will leave South Station on Fridays at 5:50 p.m.
http://www.boston.com/business/news/201 ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Not sure how this found its way into this Boston Globe article. It's my understanding that this will NOT be happening this year -- which is why there was no mention of a 5:50 p.m. Friday departure from South Station in today's MassDOT/CCRTA press release.
  by The EGE

The CapeFlyer site shows the 5:12 departure, but the MassDOT blog says this:
The CapeFLYER train leaving South Station on Friday nights at 5:50PM is an addition to the schedule with a new, dedicated train rather than an extension of commuter service. This train will arrive in Braintree at 6:10pm, Wareham Village at 6:57pm, Buzzards Bay at 7:07pm and Hyannis at 8:07pm. This faster trip benefits both the CapeFLYER passengers and Middleboro Line commuters.
  by The ViRoCo

When the Sperry Car comes next week, is is going on the Capeway too?
  by GP40MC1118

The Sperry Car is scheduled to visit the Mass Coastal May 5-9.

D
  by Arlington

The EGE wrote:The CapeFlyer site shows the 5:12 departure, but the MassDOT blog says this:
The CapeFLYER train leaving South Station on Friday nights at 5:50PM is an addition to the schedule with a new, dedicated train rather than an extension of commuter service. This train will arrive in Braintree at 6:10pm, Wareham Village at 6:57pm, Buzzards Bay at 7:07pm and Hyannis at 8:07pm. This faster trip benefits both the CapeFLYER passengers and Middleboro Line commuters.
And the "later Friday departure" repeated again in the MassDOT newsletter for this week.

Clearly there's some kind of communications' gap between what the MassDOT wants/believes (a 5:50pm) and the CapeFlyer (and its 5:12pm)
  by NH2060

Perhaps the dedicated consist won't be ready in time for Memorial Day weekend and the FLYER staff don't want to add the 5:50 departure to the official timetable until they know it's ready for service.

As a side note unless -I'm mistaken- this will be the first time that there will ever have been a solid MBB consist in revenue service!
  by Diverging Route

NH2060 wrote:Perhaps the dedicated consist won't be ready in time for Memorial Day weekend and the FLYER staff don't want to add the 5:50 departure to the official timetable until they know it's ready for service.

As a side note unless -I'm mistaken- this will be the first time that there will ever have been a solid MBB consist in revenue service!
A long time ago (~20 years), I rode a solid MBB train on the Worcester line. When I asked about it, the conductor explained it had been used as a Thanksgiving extra.
  by wicked

Talk about amateur hour, public relationswise. Considering the fine job that was done last year, I'm surprised. You'd figure the CCRTA and MassDOT would coordinate things a little better here.

If train buffs are confused about the schedule, imagine what the general public is going through.
  by Tom coughlin

Diverging Route wrote:
NH2060 wrote:Perhaps the dedicated consist won't be ready in time for Memorial Day weekend and the FLYER staff don't want to add the 5:50 departure to the official timetable until they know it's ready for service.

A long time ago (~20 years), I rode a solid MBB train on the Worcester line. When I asked about it, the conductor explained it had been used as a Thanksgiving extra.
...and in 1987 when the MBB's were first delivered. The first order of Bombardiers hadn't been delivered yet (or at least in large numbers) and the MBB's weren't compatible with the 1978 Pullmans. The Pullmans were delivered with different diaphragms than the ones they have today; I believe that was the issue.

Tom Coughlin
Stow, MA
  by The ViRoCo

GP40MC1118 wrote:The Sperry Car is scheduled to visit the Mass Coastal May 5-9.

D
What line is it coming from? CSX or the 'T'? And do you have any other info on the times?
  by 130MM

The ViRoCo wrote:
GP40MC1118 wrote:The Sperry Car is scheduled to visit the Mass Coastal May 5-9.

D
What line is it coming from? CSX or the 'T'? And do you have any other info on the times?
It's coming down the Middleborough, and should hit Mass Coastal around 11:30 today (Sunday).