• Commuter Rail Delay Discussion

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by deathtopumpkins

Haverhill line's apparently got some significant delays tonight (233's delayed >70 min) due to "autos impeding service". What do they mean by this? Was there a collision?
  by BostonUrbEx

deathtopumpkins wrote:Haverhill line's apparently got some significant delays tonight (233's delayed >70 min) due to "autos impeding service". What do they mean by this? Was there a collision?
A car was struck at Andover Station, at the adjacent crossing.
  by octr202

From someone on 233, they were stuck at Andover for a while until allowed off. Passengers for Lawrence and Haverhill were going to be bused.
  by mdamico23

Bad morning on the Fitchburg Line on Friday 10/25. Train 406, the normal 6:00 departure from the 'burg was delayed about :25 minutes when one of the new Rotem cab cars would not play nice with the pushing GP40MC. Train 406 left Fitchburg about 6:23 AM and then made all the local stops into Boston arriving at North Station about 8:10. Train 408, the normal 6:30 "superexpress" from Fitchburg was about :20-25 minutes behind 406 according to a friend who was on that train. Interestingly, the consist of 406 was a Rotem cab car, 3 flats, another Rotem and a GP40MC.

-Mike
  by BandM4266

Okay Beverly Depot experiencing issues tonight! A SUV decided to drive down to the station blocking trains on both sides from getting around.
  by BostonUrbEx

BandM4266 wrote:Okay Beverly Depot experiencing issues tonight! A SUV decided to drive down to the station blocking trains on both sides from getting around.
Apparently the car managed knock out a signal/the signal system, too? Based on what I read. Not sure how accurate this is.
  by MBTA1016

How is it possible for car to knock out a signal system? Aren't the cables buried underground?
  by AEM7AC920

There are still bungalows at the interlockings that are not under ground.
  by StephenB

I was on a ladder painting my house, which is about 500 feet from the Franklin line, about 1/4 mile on the outbound side of Walpole Station about 20 minutes ago when I heard an outbound commuter rail train blow its whistle in an urgent manner then heard the train streech to a stop in a spot where trains are usually accelerating out of the Walpole stop. (A quick look at the schedule shows it to be train 2709 most likely.) I also heard some ATVs and dirt bikes earlier in the afternoon. Then the train sat.

Thinking the worst about the dirt bikers, I finished up the painting section I was working on, stuck my brush in some water, and started walking towards the tracks, only to have the train start accelerating away. Happily, I guess no dirt bikers got squashed, but it got me to wondering why the train sat so long? (It was about 8 minutes I'd say.) It ended up about 10 minutes late altogether.

Not being a railroad person myself I have to ask, what has to happen and how long does it take to reset things and get a CR train set under way after the engineer has to go into emergency as I gather he/she did?
  by GE45tonner

When an engineer "dumps the air" (Applies emergancy brakes) they release all of the air stored in the braking system. Depending on the consist it can take awhile to build up the air pressure again needed to release the brakes.
  by tvachon

Willows and points west on Fitchburg are totally fowleled. Can't say I'm surprised anymore though. Maybe we should,start a pot on the interchange most likely to cause delays? Willows pays 10 cents for dollar you out in (yes you lose 90 cents on a sure thing in my mind)
  by jbvb

Inbound #218 w/1072 pushing didn't get to the Haverhill platform till 10:15, then ran slow with apparent brake/control problems. Crew announced "mechanical problem" and predicted we'd get later. Pulled into the Wildcat @WJ to clear for #213, rolled through most stops from Reading inwards, almost 1 hr. late @Malden.
  by octr202

T'lerts hint of Eastern Route problems this morning. 108 was first listed as delayed 15-45 mins due to a switch problem, then outright cancelled a short time later. 158 and 110 reported to be 10-15 late trying to handle the pent up crowds.
  by Komarovsky

Worcester line is blowing up tonight because of "police action" related delays. P521 and p524 are delayed probably an hour or so, p523 is delayed at least half an hour and p583 is cancelled outright. Presumably the remainder of the outbound peak trains will be delayed as well. Anyone know what the "police action" was?