• ALP-45DP's - Usage and Delivery

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by morris&essex4ever

DutchRailnut wrote:which march and which year ?/
Why not March 2013?
  by Fan Railer

Well, this thread looks like it's run it's course.
  by 25Hz

Fan Railer wrote:Well, this thread looks like it's run it's course.
Yep, all the 45's are scrap.
  by morris&essex4ever

Fan Railer wrote:Well, this thread looks like it's run it's course.
Reminds me of the ALP 46A thread.
  by ACeInTheHole

Not necessarily Fan Railer, there are still several 45s unaccounted for, that whole block between 4520 and 4534. No sightings in any form of revenue trains. Once those are sighted in service, then I think the thread will have run its course.
  by ThirdRail7

beanbag wrote:Not necessarily Fan Railer, there are still several 45s unaccounted for, that whole block between 4520 and 4534. No sightings in any form of revenue trains. Once those are sighted in service, then I think the thread will have run its course.
Wouldn't you wait until you saw them in revenue service in NYP too?
  by ACeInTheHole

ThirdRail7 wrote:
beanbag wrote:Not necessarily Fan Railer, there are still several 45s unaccounted for, that whole block between 4520 and 4534. No sightings in any form of revenue trains. Once those are sighted in service, then I think the thread will have run its course.
Wouldn't you wait until you saw them in revenue service in NYP too?
Didn't think of that.
  by RS115

A curiosity question. In my normal commute I sometimes see an eastbound pulling into Mt. Arlington with a 45 - in diesel mode obviously. Other days I catch the same or another train with a 45 at Morris Plains. What's surprised me is that at Morris Plains - they're still in diesel mode. I would have expected them to change over to electric at Dover. Anyone know why they're not?

Thanks
  by 25Hz

RS115 wrote:A curiosity question. In my normal commute I sometimes see an eastbound pulling into Mt. Arlington with a 45 - in diesel mode obviously. Other days I catch the same or another train with a 45 at Morris Plains. What's surprised me is that at Morris Plains - they're still in diesel mode. I would have expected them to change over to electric at Dover. Anyone know why they're not?

Thanks
I believe they change modes at summit.
  by ACeInTheHole

25Hz wrote:
RS115 wrote:A curiosity question. In my normal commute I sometimes see an eastbound pulling into Mt. Arlington with a 45 - in diesel mode obviously. Other days I catch the same or another train with a 45 at Morris Plains. What's surprised me is that at Morris Plains - they're still in diesel mode. I would have expected them to change over to electric at Dover. Anyone know why they're not?

Thanks
I believe they change modes at summit.
That's weird. The canetary starts at Dover. Must be schedule padding and the length of the stop at Summit vs. Dover. Correct me if im wrong. Also I think itd be better to have a 45 do the mode change at Dover because if something goes wrong for some reason god forbid with the mode change, the 45 quits, and wont restart, itd be easier to get the crippled trainset out of the way with the yard being right there and easier to route trains around it with switches on both ends. I remember when 4616 died in Summit on the center track, it tied up the works real nice for hours, delaying trains in both directions, not even counting the several trains stacked up behind it down the straight and all the way around the corner. I just think the safety net in Dover is much better for that type of thing.
  by ns3010

Back when things were normal, the changeover was usually made at Dover. However, post-Sandy, I would say that 45-powered non-Gladstone trains are running diesel all the way. It's probably not worth the effort to make the switch at Dover/MSU, only to have to change back to diesel again at Newark Broad for the final run into Hoboken.
  by ACeInTheHole

ns3010 wrote:Back when things were normal, the changeover was usually made at Dover. However, post-Sandy, I would say that 45-powered non-Gladstone trains are running diesel all the way. It's probably not worth the effort to make the switch at Dover/MSU, only to have to change back to diesel again at Newark Broad for the final run into Hoboken.
Hmm, every 45 ive seen as of recent has been in E-mode between Millburn and Broad at least. Ill have to pay more attention to train numbers.
  by blockline4180

ns3010 wrote:Back when things were normal, the changeover was usually made at Dover. However, post-Sandy, I would say that 45-powered non-Gladstone trains are running diesel all the way. It's probably not worth the effort to make the switch at Dover/MSU, only to have to change back to diesel again at Newark Broad for the final run into Hoboken.

It varies, sometimes they are in diesel mode west of Summit and sometimes they aren't!! When I was in Morris Plains 2 weeks ago, Id say half were in electric and half diesel... I'm sure it depends on a number of factors!!
  by ACeInTheHole

blockline4180 wrote:

It varies, sometimes they are in diesel mode west of Summit and sometimes they aren't!! When I was in Morris Plains 2 weeks ago, Id say half were in electric and half diesel... I'm sure it depends on a number of factors!!
Operator discretion probably the most prominent in that case. No matter how you slice it, NJT is babying the 45s in terms of train size to the point where in either mode, they are stupid fast. I remember watching one leave Broad street from my car this morning, didnt see the number on it, I looked as it had just started to get going, turned away, then looked quickly a second or two later, and it was at track speed already and the train wasnt even off the platform yet. With how quick those things are, you probably have plenty of time to change modes twice on a Hackettstown train, and still arrive in Hoboken a couple minutes early, its probably just a matter of whether or not the engineer wants to change the modes. If i were an engineer, my inner car and horsepower junkie would definitely talk me into changing modes twice, the extra 1000 horsepower kick of the E-mode vs. the diesel mode would be too much to ignore.
  by 25Hz

Clearly these locomotives have been pressed into service they were never intended for with hoboken catenary out of commission. I'm sure they are attempting to go easy on them switching modes to not induce any premature wear. With gladstone the whole line is wired, with the morristown line the wires end after dover. Makes sense to me to swap modes on gladstone runs and stick to straight diesel mode on morristown runs. Less wear on the single pantograph and its mechanisms. Plus they don't seem to be affected timetable wise on runs to hackettstown as far as acceleration & braking is concerned. Maybe someone could chime in on that last point?