• ALP-45DP's - Usage and Delivery

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by LocoCam

Can someone explain to me how a 131 ton 4 axle loco stresses rail more than a 250 ton 6 axle freight loco under 25 mph? Not trolling just confused.
  by Backshophoss

It's Axle Loading Weight,idealy the unit's weight is the same on each axle,(example: 32000lbs is shared on 2 axles holding 16000lbs each axle)
there's some sort of weight shift happening while going thru the switch or curve, that upsets the way the weight is spread out
on the axles and wheels(example:each wheel carries 8000lbs on a 16000lbs axle,on a curve, 1 wheel has greater weight then the other,
wheel 1 carries 10000lbs,the other 6000lbs)
It's a given yard/station tracks are slow speed and not maintaned like mainline trackage,but with the high axle loading of
the ALP-45-DP,these tracks now need better maintance levels on yard/station trackage.
  by LocoCam

I'm coming up with 32750 per wheel for the Alp-45 (262000/8) and 41666 for a 6 axle Rd Freight. My comment is more along the line of why is the Canadian freight line worried about these on their main line? The yards in question must be in terrible condition because we regularly take 6 axle units into freight yards with god awful track (at only 10 mph though). 150 ton freight cars on 4 axles comes out to be 37500 per wheel, with higher cg id wager. All these are static weights, and the speed of passenger trains can make up for the lower static forces, but the report specifies 25 mph. Just doesn't make sense to me, but I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, just a run down Ramada in Albany.... :)
  by DutchRailnut

The concern is not about mainline or mainline switches but the station tracks which have been maintained at lower standards.
Todays passenger equipment needs better than 1950's track in station area's and yards.
  by devils and trains

Maybe I haven't been following close enough, but when did the ALP-45's start pushing and pulling the MLV. I know they've been doing it at AMT for a while. I was in Rutherford on Saturday night and saw the 4510 pushing 6 MLV's towards Hoboken.
  by 25Hz

devils and trains wrote:Maybe I haven't been following close enough, but when did the ALP-45's start pushing and pulling the MLV. I know they've been doing it at AMT for a while. I was in Rutherford on Saturday night and saw the 4510 pushing 6 MLV's towards Hoboken.
Since after hurricane sandy...
  by ACeInTheHole

Any other 45s been seen in service? In particular im talking about that batch between 4521-4533. Havent seen or heard anything on these units. I mean yes i did see 4522 and 4523 on a test train but im talking revenue service.
  by ThirdRail7

What's going on with the M&E next weekend?
  by ACeInTheHole

Is there something I missed? The M&E is my hometown line, if there is something going on with it.. I want to know..
  by morris&essex4ever

I'd like to know too.
  by 25Hz

Next weekend is march, they said new substation in march. Just putting 2+2 together....
  by ThirdRail7

25Hz wrote:Next weekend is march, they said new substation in march. Just putting 2+2 together....
It's as good an answer as any.

by Silverliner II

Of course, March does have 31 days.... and they never said WHEN in March....
  by Taborite

Silverliner II wrote:Of course, March does have 31 days.... and they never said WHEN in March....
The impression I had gotten from the Weinstein's statement at the last NJT Board Meeting was that the substation would be up toward the tail end of March.
  by DutchRailnut

which march and which year ?/