• Catskill Mountain Railroad (CMRR) Discussion - 2013

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by ddk375

Two questions:
1. Won't the DEP and NYC oppose "opening up the Ashokan Reservoir to recreation"?
2. I'm an Ulster County landowner/taxpayer, but my legal residence is elsewhere. How could I best use whatever little influence I might have?

David
  by Train Detainer

ddk -

1. They certainly did in the ALTA Planning Rail-with-Trail Feasibility Study, but that was closer to 9/11 and the trail lobby is very persistent .....

2. Simple. Write to Mike Hein, the county legislators, the Governor and Senator Schumer and tell them that you're an Ulster taxpayer and you want the railroad to stay. If you have the time, write to everyone else listed on CMRR's website.

Thanks for your help!
  by eehiv

Saturday, February 9th

Because of the expected snowstorm Friday, Cornell Street will be closed Saturday.

Sunday, February 10th

Cornell Street may open Sunday, to dig out from the snow and for other work in the yard. Please check with Earl Pardini to be sure.

Ernie Hunt
Volunteer Coordinator
CMRR
  by Otto Vondrak

ddk375 wrote:I'm an Ulster County landowner/taxpayer, but my legal residence is elsewhere. How could I best use whatever little influence I might have?
Davd, contact the Ulster County legislators. Anyone can express their support: http://catskillmtrailroad.com/support-us.php

-otto-
  by map193

Hey guys,
I just wrote a rough draft of a letter that I intend to send to every representative that is on the railroads website. If you guys could critique this letter and help me make it more accurate I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Hello,
I am writing this letter in support of the Catskill Mountain Railroad. Others as well as myself who not only live in this area, but across the state believe that as your job of being an elected representative to the people you need to exercise your power to help keep and preserve this tourist railroad for the people now and for in the future. This short tourist line is beneficial to the area and it would be a great loss if it were to be taken away. There have been talks to incorporate a rail-trail into this area and many residents as well as myself believe that this idea is not necessarily in the best interests of the people.
If a trail were to be constructed in the right of way of the Catskill Mountain Railroad it is presumed that the rails would be removed. According to estimates by Rail Ryder Track Removal Services U.S.A. it costs between $15,500 and $20,500 to remove one mile of track and to make the right of way pedestrian-friendly. This is a cost that very few tax payers are willing to pay without gaining any real return from.
What kind of economic benefits will Ulster County or even New York State see from a rail trail? Do you honestly expect a county wide rail trail to become a tourist attraction? Ulster County has plenty of rail trails on abandoned rail right of ways that are already used. There is no need to abandon and rip up a line that is currently in use and brings joy to many people. Also, the Catskill Mountain Railroad is looking to restore freight service to potential customers whether they have a business near the line or whether they transload and ship via truck and rail. Why would you consider destroying a business, or hindering an existing businesses opportunity to ship or receive products over rail just so you can have a county wide rail trail? Is it worth it? If you harm any business in New York State large or small, it is no longer a concern or the people of the area, but it is then a concern of the people of the entire State of New York.
It is true that local residents do use these trails for recreational purposes, but the real tourist attraction is the walkway over the Hudson! It would not make economic sense for any government local, state, or federal to spend tax dollars to remove any portion of this line that this volunteer organization has spent great amounts of time to restore. This railroad is more of a tourist attraction than a trail would be. They are very popular and they generate income for this volunteer organization. Yes, the county spends money on this railroad, but its money well spent, especially because it is so popular. This railroad has easier access to the beautiful scenery your area provides than any rail trail does.
On a closing note, if a trail is to be built, please consider saving this rail line, it is currently in use and is used on a regular basis. It would be a huge let down to not only all the volunteers who have worked tirelessly to maintain this line, but to everyone who enjoys it as well. A pedestrian trail that parallels this rail line would be an acceptable option that should be looked into. This way every body can benefit.
Sincerely,
Marcus Pisa
  by eehiv

Saturday, February 16th

Cornell Street will open at 9am. Plans are to work on the new west switch.

Sunday, February 17th

Cornell Street will be closed Sunday.

Ernie Hunt
Volunteer Coordinator
CMRR
  by charlie6017

Oh wow.......I'm sorry I missed seeing Marcus' letter until just now. That was an excellent letter in
my opinion--Great job! As a fellow New York State taxpayer, I agree with every word you stated,
considering costs of potential rail removal and trail grooming as well as loss of business within the
State.

Well done, Sir!

Charlie
  by eehiv

Saturday, February 16th

At Cornell Street Sunday, groundbreaking for the yard's west end switch began. Excavation of subgrade from the west end of the existing storage siding to a point just outside of the gate was completed and ten switch ties were installed. Today's crew included: Earl Pardini, Peter Fluchere, Jim Bruck, Dave Hilliard, George Peck, and Mark Glaser. Tony Bochinno visited later in the day to view the finished work.

Sunday, February 17th

At Cornell Street, Earl Pardini, George Peck and Mark Glaser inserted five more switch timbers for the new west switch.

Ernie Hunt
Volunteer Coordinator
CMRR
Last edited by eehiv on Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
  by airman00

Great news starting on the yard work! :) Are you planning on expanding the yard or just installing that switch?
  by eehiv

The new west switch will connect to the storage siding we installed two years ago. It will be used for storage of the coaches now stored west of Kingston.

EH
  by DogBert

On a lighter note, I heard ya'all are getting an ex LIRR coach via NYA - it went up to selkirk last week. Any thoughts on where it'll arrive, and how? (I'm assuming it has to be placed on a truck somewhere)
  by airman00

DogBert wrote:On a lighter note, I heard ya'all are getting an ex LIRR coach via NYA - it went up to selkirk last week. Any thoughts on where it'll arrive, and how? (I'm assuming it has to be placed on a truck somewhere)
Well in that case it would be a nice time for csx to reconnect the switch. :)
  by jmarino

well I see in todays Kingston daily freeman Sen. Charles Schumer supports taking up as he said according to the freeman the abandoned tracks to put the recreational trail , Folks as Ernie Hunt and the others state we must get our letters of support in to these folks supporting the CMRR or the railroad will be nothing but a memory and a bunch of old photos , Thankfully it also mentions Harry Jameson s letter to the editor , O also notice the little rail banking term. I found the article to me anyway political double talk it leaves the impression the railroad maybe put back someday , don't fall for that ! that's what mayor Quick said when the bought the section from Smith Ave [CSX] down to the point , shortly after private party purchased that down to 2.4 isolating the that section of track forever and its end Folks get those letters of support out to the list of political reps on the list on the CMRR web site , To the CMRR don't give up push west from C-9 as fast as you all can !
  by jmarino

jmarino wrote:well I see in todays Kingston daily freeman Sen. Charles Schumer supports taking up as he said according to the freeman the abandoned tracks to put the recreational trail , Folks as Ernie Hunt and the others state we must get our letters of support in to these folks supporting the CMRR or the railroad will be nothing but a memory and a bunch of old photos , Thankfully it also mentions Harry Jameson s letter to the editor , O also notice the little rail banking term. I found the article to me anyway political double talk it leaves the impression the railroad maybe put back someday , don't fall for that ! that's what mayor Quick said when the bought the section from Smith Ave [CSX] down to the point , shortly after private party purchased that down to 2.4 isolating the that section of track forever and its end Folks get those letters of support out to the list of political reps on the list on the CMRR web site , To the CMRR don't give up push west from C-9 as fast as you all can !
Also be nice to see that CSX switch, Maybe Herzogs true value would become a freight customer then and others would follow