• ALP-45DP's - Usage and Delivery

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by lensovet

sixty-six wrote:
beanbag wrote:
Silverliner II wrote:Random thought. Do the numberboard lights on the 45's light up, or have the lights been removed? I never see them lit on the 46's and PL42's any more, so I assume theyy have been removed?
Of NJTs newer power only the regular 46s (4600-4628) have lit number boards, the 46As, and 45s never came with the feature as they have a different style of board, and the PL42s had the feature removed not long after they went into service.
4600-4628 do not have lit numberboards, and the switches for them have been removed.
i'm curious – why were they put in to begin with, and what was driving the decision to take them out afterwards?
  by SwingMan

On the LIRR they still have them so the operators in the towers can see the lead motor/engine number. I'm not familiar with NJT, but I assume since they don't have any active towers (?) that they no longer need them, thus requiring one less thing to replace/fix on the engines.
  by Silverliner II

lirr415 wrote:On the LIRR they still have them so the operators in the towers can see the lead motor/engine number. I'm not familiar with NJT, but I assume since they don't have any active towers (?) that they no longer need them, thus requiring one less thing to replace/fix on the engines.
That's the same reason I heard why Metro-North did not opt for them on the M-7a fleet.
On the other hand, the Silverliner V's do not have illuminating numberboards and SEPTA still runs in some tower-controlled territory (Amtrak's Harrisburg Line to Thorndale), and at the same time, the multilevel cabs have them even as the bulbs and controls have been removed from all the locos except the Geeps.
Oh well... I'll go with the "they are not needed any more" reasoning. It's the same way that when SEPTA installed the ditch lights on their cab cars and AEM-7's, they removed the strobe lights, reason being that the ditch lights negated the need for strobes, and with the strobes not being required, they were removed, since if they remained, they had to be kept in operating condition. Same with locomotive numberboards, I presume.
  by 25Hz

One less thing using electricity i guess...
  by DutchRailnut

Basicly the FRA rules mandate that any item on locomotive must be maintained in proper working condition.
NJT probably asked FRA to take lit numberboards out of service so they no longer have expense of maintenance.
same reason CSX abandoned the marker lights on freight engines bought by Conrail.
  by sixty-six

Silverliner II wrote:
lirr415 wrote:On the LIRR they still have them so the operators in the towers can see the lead motor/engine number. I'm not familiar with NJT, but I assume since they don't have any active towers (?) that they no longer need them, thus requiring one less thing to replace/fix on the engines.
That's the same reason I heard why Metro-North did not opt for them on the M-7a fleet.
On the other hand, the Silverliner V's do not have illuminating numberboards and SEPTA still runs in some tower-controlled territory (Amtrak's Harrisburg Line to Thorndale), and at the same time, the multilevel cabs have them even as the bulbs and controls have been removed from all the locos except the Geeps.
Oh well... I'll go with the "they are not needed any more" reasoning. It's the same way that when SEPTA installed the ditch lights on their cab cars and AEM-7's, they removed the strobe lights, reason being that the ditch lights negated the need for strobes, and with the strobes not being required, they were removed, since if they remained, they had to be kept in operating condition. Same with locomotive numberboards, I presume.
It's late and I'm tired, so I may be missing something, but which multilevels are you referring to?
  by 25Hz

The metroliner cabs still have strobes last i recall.... Plus a red marker for when in trailing position.
  by Silverliner II

sixty-six wrote:
Silverliner II wrote:
It's late and I'm tired, so I may be missing something, but which multilevels are you referring to?
NJ Transit's multilevels and their being equipped with illuminating number boards while they have been removing the light bulbs from certain groups of locomotivess.
  by 25Hz

There are number boards on the sides of MVL cab cars at the cab end, but i rarely see them turned on. When i do it can be very random, day night etc.

I kinda think illuminated number boards complete the design of cab cars & locos.
  by Silverliner II

25Hz wrote:There are number boards on the sides of MVL cab cars at the cab end, but i rarely see them turned on. When i do it can be very random, day night etc.

I kinda think illuminated number boards complete the design of cab cars & locos.
The cab car numberboards only light up when the operating cab is cut in and leading on the multilevels. On the Comets, they light up when the headlight is turned on.
  by AMTFan1

Hi,

I know that this thread is not related to the AMT, but at least what I'm publishing here is related to the ALP-45DP.

The Transportation Safety Board of Canada (TSBC) has released today it's investigation report concerning the derailment of AMT ALP-45DP #1352 that occurred on December 2011 in Montreal Central Station. Through this report, we can learn many things concerning the specifications of the ALP-45DP. The reason of the derailment was indeed a track defect. Here's the link of the report:

http://www.tsb.gc.ca/eng/rapports-repor ... 1d0099.asp
Equipment characteristics

The railways were aware that the gross vehicle weight of the dual-powered locomotive was approximately 7% heavier than the previously used type of locomotives. The heavier weight of the locomotive and the flatter wheel taper of 1:40 contributed to higher wheel loads being transmitted to the track structure. The length of the wheel base (110 inches) had a positive effect of distributing truck side forces on the rail. However, the hold-down effect that adjacent wheel loads can have to minimize gauge widening was negatively affected.

The vertical loads being transmitted to the track structure were similar to other heavy-freight equipment that was commonly accepted on most main-track areas, namely 286 000 pounds gross weight. In comparison with the F40-PH, the ALP-45DP locomotive generated higher lateral forces, and although the lateral forces were up to 25% higher, the L/V values were well within industry and regulatory norms and should not have posed a risk of rail rollover.
TSB concerned about the risk of derailment of heavy passenger locomotives on lower classes of track

Gatineau, Quebec, 24 January 2013 — The Transportation Safety Board of Canada (TSB) released today its investigation report (R11D0099) into the 9 December 2011 derailment of an Agence Métropolitaine de Transport (AMT) commuter train, in Montréal, Quebec, citing track conditions and a heavier locomotive as factors in the derailment.

The AMT commuter train derailed when a locomotive wheel dropped inside the rail as the train moved around a curve upon arrival in Central Station. The 1400 passengers on the train were evacuated safely. A number of factors contributed to the derailment: the TSB investigation focused on the weight of the locomotive, the track conditions in Central Station, and the track safety standards for lower classes of track.

The standards for station tracks are less stringent than for other tracks in the rail network because trains operate at lower speeds in stations. In this investigation, the TSB learned that the heavier passenger locomotive, combined with the existing track conditions, caused the track to widen despite lower speeds. New locomotives on Canadian railways are typically heavier, and it is likely there will be many more operating in the future as commuter rail networks grow and new equipment is bought. Lower classes of track may not always be up to the task of carrying these heavy locomotives safely.

"We need to make sure that heavier locomotives can be operated safely on lower classes of track," said Kathy Fox, TSB Board Member. "That is the TSB's concern (add link)."
  by Tadman

You may recall a few months ago that the new ALP-45DP derailed in Montreal Central Station, leading to a removal from service in Montreal. While that's AMT and not NJT, obviously NJT is the only other operator of this type and seems to be using them fairly heavily. As such, I thought I'd post Transport Canada's accident report here. It's some pretty thick government-ese, but the findings are:

Findings as to causes and contributing factors

1. The absence of superelevation and the presence of negative cross-level at the exit of the curve resulted in an increase in the lateral wheel forces.
2. Locomotive AMT 1352 generated high lateral wheel forces, which contributed to the destabilisation of the rail, even though the L/V ratio was within industry and regulatory norms.
3. The derailment occurred when a wheel of locomotive AMT 1352, a new dual powered locomotive, dropped inside the south rail at the exit of the 11.75° curve on Track 22 due to high lateral wheel forces and existing track gauge restraint conditions.

Findings as to risk

1. Reducing train speed below 25 mph does not provide a safety defence to protect against equipment generating high lateral wheel loads as lateral wheel load is insensitive to speed below that value.
2. Given that the Railway Track Safety Rules (TSR) allow up to 1 ½ inches of wide gauge on Class 1 track, equipment with heavy wheel loads operating on curves with gauge approaching those limits could result in gauge widening to the point of reaching the critical gauge condition of 59 inches for standard worn wheels.
3. In the absence of automated track geometry measurements under load and gauge restraint measurement system (GRMS) inspection, reverse rail cant or negative cross level conditions and weak lateral-track strength are difficult to identify when employing visual inspection only, increasing the risk that track gauge widening will occur, leading to derailments.

Other finding

1. The track spikes from Track 21 had failed due to fatigue and the failures had likely occurred before the introduction of the new AMT locomotives.

Report link
http://www.tsb.gc.ca/eng/rapports-repor ... 1d0099.asp
  by 25Hz

So basically as with all incidents it wasn't just one thing, it was a number of things that all lined up.

I guess they have to figure out if they will do superelevation, concrete ties, or a combination of both to prevent spreading in the future....?
  by Backshophoss

I gather it's been a while since a track gang did some work at the station,sometimes inspections don't always find
a defect lurking in parts of the track structure. When the ALP-45DP's were built,they were not allowed to roll on
their own wheels to the port to be shipped to the US,they weighted too much!!(axle loading weight)
Not sure if Canadian track standards follow the FRA standards.
  by sixty-six

25Hz wrote:The metroliner cabs still have strobes last i recall.... Plus a red marker for when in trailing position.
The red strobe is for when the train is in emergency, not a marker.