• New England Central Railroad (NECR)

• For discussion of the various Class II and III Lines of the Genesee & Wyoming Inc. Railroad Holding Co. short-lines which do not have their own forums as noted:

Their website is here: GWRR.com
    A list of their holdings is here: Wikipedia List
For discussion of the various Class II and III Lines of the Genesee & Wyoming Inc. Railroad Holding Co. short-lines which do not have their own forums as noted:

Their website is here: GWRR.com
A list of their holdings is here: Wikipedia List
  by steamer69

Seems a touch deceptive to me to say that you're interchainging with a Class I railroad that doesn't even come into the region you're operating in....
  by giljanus

steamer69 wrote:Seems a touch deceptive to me to say that you're interchainging with a Class I railroad that doesn't even come into the region you're operating in....
The interchange at Bellows Falls is a major part of the Green Mountain Gateway It has been live for many years.

The interchange tracks are being reworked, including moving the diamond slightly, and changing the radius of the VRS to NECR interchange track to allow 6-wheel locos to be able to used on the interchange.

Gil, known as Bill somedays ...
  by shadyjay

Timekeeping seems to be back to normal recently, according to the status maps:
http://www.dixielandsoftware.com/Amtrak ... Status.htm

Looks like most of the slow orders have been lifted. I'm guessing more work is needed before actual time comes off the schedule.

There has been talk of adding a second frequency as far as WRJ but not at least until the Conn River Line project is completed in Mass.
  by newpylong

Is CTC part of the upgrade or are they sticking with what they have? 59 aint so sweet...
  by F-line to Dudley via Park

newpylong wrote:Is CTC part of the upgrade or are they sticking with what they have? 59 aint so sweet...
Upgrades to 79 MPH all points south of White River Jct. where CTC exists. North to St. Albans stays 59 but all slow orders will disappear. Adding CTC north of there is expensive enough that it'll have to be a separate appropriation, but all the track work and full CWR rail will make it such that signal replacement is the only remaining checklist item to enable 79 all the way. It won't be more than a couple years later before that's installed as a tack-on project. They just couldn't afford it now.

The ABS territory presents problems for the PTC mandate. Throwing the cab signal and ACSES layers on top of the upgraded CTC territory Springfield-WRJ is not expensive and will almost certainly be funded in time for the '15 deadline. Installing the CTC is the expensive part. Who knows what they're going to do. Unfortunately Downeaster's in the same boat with all the ABS in MBTA territory, and that's the bigger regional terror threat they have to address before the deadline. NECR should be fine because they'll be running the same GPS-based system that P&W and other regionals will for all their non-passenger track. But would suck for Amtrak to have to install second transmitters in the locos as a stopgap until they can get permanent upgrades to St. Albans. GPS-based PTC with ABS track signals are good enough for NECR headways, but there's no substitute for a more reliable permanent track hardware installation when it's well-patronized passenger service that's got to hold a schedule slot on the NEC.
  by etna9726b

Anyone know what's up with the construction in the parking lot shared by the Steaming Tender and the NECR Palmer yard ?
Looks like the contruction uncovered an unusual stone arch buried in the hillside on the east side of the lot. Perhaps a well ?

Thanks,
  by CVRA7

One of the owners of the Steaming Tender restaurant is rebuilding the station park that once existed, as time and money permits. The stone "grotto" was buried and overgrown for many years.
The Steaming Tender web site has more information.
  by ElburnAl

I am a long time New Englander (Gfld, Mass), but now and again life moves us on...
Anyway, I was at a local park today (5-26), here in DeKalb, IL; the park is right next to the UPRR's Geneva Sub (former C&NW, MP 57.2 and site of one of the few remaining C&NW coaling towers).
A west bound UP general merchandise freight rolled on by.
What caught my attention was that, behind the first/second UP unit(s), there was a slew of "elderly" GP-type units, all painted in the UPRR paint scheme and all marked for the NECR and/or MMA railroads (mostly the latter). I didn't count 'em but I would guess there were 6-8 of those units heading west.
Anybody have any info on this move?
  by MEC407

Those may have been some of the ex-UP SD40M-2s that are destined for NECR. If I'm not mistaken, there is another RailAmerica road, the Missouri & Northern Arkansas (MNA), which is also supposed to be receiving some of those units. Is it possible that the reporting marks you saw were MNA rather than MMA?
  by ElburnAl

MEC407 wrote:Those may have been some of the ex-UP SD40M-2s that are destined for NECR. If I'm not mistaken, there is another RailAmerica road, the Missouri & Northern Arkansas (MNA), which is also supposed to be receiving some of those units. Is it possible that the reporting marks you saw were MNA rather than MMA?
Won't put my life against it in a court of law, but, I do believe I saw MMA on the majority of the loco's.
  by boatsmate

Jeff to answer your question about what is needed to bring double stack further south, ( at least a little) there are 2 bridges in New London that would have to be either raised or lowered, on eis at the Coast guard Accademy and the other is further down towards the port (if memory serves correct) sorry I can't what is north if NL as it has been many years since I rail faned there.
  by jaymac

As a favor to an off-line friend, I'm asking if anyone can provide approximate windows for NECR freight activity -- NB, SB or both -- for Millers Falls.
Thanks from him and me!
  by BrianS

The manifest will do Millers on the way North usually between 1500 and 2000 when it needs it. It could be any day. Sometimes 606 will go up there and do Millers and split power

Brian