• New England Central Railroad (NECR)

• For discussion of the various Class II and III Lines of the Genesee & Wyoming Inc. Railroad Holding Co. short-lines which do not have their own forums as noted:

Their website is here: GWRR.com
    A list of their holdings is here: Wikipedia List
For discussion of the various Class II and III Lines of the Genesee & Wyoming Inc. Railroad Holding Co. short-lines which do not have their own forums as noted:

Their website is here: GWRR.com
A list of their holdings is here: Wikipedia List
  by Eliphaz

MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 wrote:What is the NECR traffic like?
Canadian lumber on center beam flat cars and newsprint in hi cube box cars, Kaolin in bulk cars.
there was a twice weekly Ethanol job, but I havent seen that in a while.
  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

Eliphaz wrote:
MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 wrote:What is the NECR traffic like?
Canadian lumber on center beam flat cars and newsprint in hi cube box cars, Kaolin in bulk cars.
there was a twice weekly Ethanol job, but I havent seen that in a while.
Thank you!
  by ebtmikado

I have always been treated politely by the staff whenever patronizing the Steaming Tender, and the food is decent.
Don't know why 3rd rail was unhappy, but it has not ever happened to me or my friends, and we visit there probably 10 times per year.

Lee Carlson
  by 3rdrail

Hi Lee ! I'm glad that you have had pleasurable experiences there. My negative experience was based upon a one-time visit. I was in the area during one of our off-road trips with my son, the reason that I mention that being that it was not during a public rail or rail show event which may have drawn an overflow group to the restaurant to handle. Once inside and seated, we waited an inordinately long time for a waitress, finally requesting one in a respectful manner. One she arrived, we ordered our dinners from a waitress who just stood alongside our table without either greeting us, inquiring what we would like, or advising us what the pick of the day was. After about 30 minutes from the time that we ordered, our food hadn't arrived, so I inquired to the waitress where our food was (I would have asked sooner but my son and I got into a conversation) and the waitress merely walked away (presumably to the kitchen (??). From this point, the food arrived bland, cool, and very mediocre five minutes later. My guess is that it just sat in the kitchen all that time since our order went to the kitchen. I honestly wouldn't say that my rating of the place was the same as the amount of the tip that I left, but it wasn't too far off...perhaps a "2" on a scale of "10" ? I'll just end by saying that I would never trash a restaurant publicly based upon one encounter, however if you look at prior RRN posts, I believe on the Amherst Railway Society Show threads, you will see that we were not alone in our impression of the place. It was as a result of seeing these comments which were consistant with our own experience which drew me to write what I did. It's not a place that I would re-visit, and with the exception of once per year at the above noted show, it's the only time that I'm in the area at which time I go to the Lido in Soringfield where I always get an excellent meal served by friendly and helpful waiters. I'd like to get a photo of the Lake Shore on the Diamond, so perhaps next year I'll park on their lot while I wait for the LSL feeling no guilty compulsion as I believe that I have already contributed to the Steaming Tender fund by virtue of donating without an equal return. Put succinctly, "to each his own" ! May all your meals be delicious ones !
  by dcm74

3rdrail wrote:Hi Lee ! I'm glad that you have had pleasurable experiences there. My negative experience was based upon a one-time visit. I was in the area during one of our off-road trips with my son, the reason that I mention that being that it was not during a public rail or rail show event which may have drawn an overflow group to the restaurant to handle. Once inside and seated, we waited an inordinately long time for a waitress, finally requesting one in a respectful manner. One she arrived, we ordered our dinners from a waitress who just stood alongside our table without either greeting us, inquiring what we would like, or advising us what the pick of the day was. After about 30 minutes from the time that we ordered, our food hadn't arrived, so I inquired to the waitress where our food was (I would have asked sooner but my son and I got into a conversation) and the waitress merely walked away (presumably to the kitchen (??). From this point, the food arrived bland, cool, and very mediocre five minutes later. My guess is that it just sat in the kitchen all that time since our order went to the kitchen. I honestly wouldn't say that my rating of the place was the same as the amount of the tip that I left, but it wasn't too far off...perhaps a "2" on a scale of "10" ? I'll just end by saying that I would never trash a restaurant publicly based upon one encounter, however if you look at prior RRN posts, I believe on the Amherst Railway Society Show threads, you will see that we were not alone in our impression of the place. It was as a result of seeing these comments which were consistant with our own experience which drew me to write what I did. It's not a place that I would re-visit, and with the exception of once per year at the above noted show, it's the only time that I'm in the area at which time I go to the Lido in Soringfield where I always get an excellent meal served by friendly and helpful waiters. I'd like to get a photo of the Lake Shore on the Diamond, so perhaps next year I'll park on their lot while I wait for the LSL feeling no guilty compulsion as I believe that I have already contributed to the Steaming Tender fund by virtue of donating without an equal return. Put succinctly, "to each his own" ! May all your meals be delicious ones !
If you went to the Lido after the 2013 show your service would have benn extremely slow.
http://www.masslive.com/business-news/i ... se_sa.html
  by 3rdrail

Yikes ! If I had known that, I would of attended both show and Lido this year ! That's a definite loss to Springfield. :-(
  by Plate C

Re: Steaming Tender, 1st time there I thought it was nice that they carry the Berkshire Brewing Co.s train related beers on tap. Other than that, the food is nothing exciting, which is unfortunate for the railfan regulars there as the location itself is nice.

As for what you'll see, a lot of wood/paper products as mentioned above. NECR does move hoppers through there too, although I believe those are brought down by CSX and handed off (could be wrong on that). CSX moves assorted boxcars, autoracks, and intermodals.
  by fl9m2004

When I took the Vermonter eastbound last year
I saw 2 engines and 0 cars
Don't know if they where picking up the cars
One was an ex Canadian Pacific engine at Saint Albans Station
He stopped then crew went into office
Didn't see them after
Other engine was New England Central engine
  by mbta1051dan

Hey guys,

Does anyone know a link where I can find out which train symbols New England Central uses, and on what days of the week and times they usually run? I know Amtrak is a definite on that line, and I think the through freights are 323/324, I've also heard of trains 600, 601, 611, 612, etc. Anyone have a list of what usually runs on that line on a weekly basis?

Thanks!
  by NRGeep

Today I noticed a 3 engine New England Central freight waiting near the Springfield Amtrak station. It proceeded southbound around 1500 hrs following shortly after the southbound 'Vermonter'. Is there track work or a derailment somewhere that caused this re-route?
  by amtrak-wnd

That was a Connecticut Southern train. I saw them go by Windsor (CT) about 30 mins. behind the Vermonter.
  by NRGeep

I assume they're leasing the 2 NECR locos they're using?
  by csor2010

Power has always flowed freely between CSOR and NECR given that they were both RailTex, RailAmerica, and now G&W subsidiaries. As of now I'm pretty sure CSO has more units lettered for the NECR than for themselves.
  by CPF363

Does anyone know why the Vermonter has been running late on the NECR? Last weekend, the northbound train on Sunday was over an hour late into Brattleboro and yesterday's southbound was running around 45 or so minutes late. No northbound train was run north of Springfield yesterday. Are there track repairs and upgrades going on between Palmer and St. Albans that are delaying the train?