• The Honorary Nonsense 7277 Sideswipe Where's Cruiser Thread

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by Patrick Boylan

That's Pat Boylan. I'm the one who moved to Jersey. Jim Boylan, who remained in Pennsylvania,
contributed items like:

Did you ever think when a hearse goes by
That you too someday will die?

They'll wrap you up in an old white sheet
and throw you down about 60 feet

The worms crawl in, the worms crawl out
up your nose and down your snout

Your stomach turns a moldy green,
And pus comes out like wipping cream

You lap it up with a piece of bread
And that is your dinner when you are dead

So do me a favor, drop dead.
  by Alloy

Sorry, Pat! Internet piracy is bad enough already. I like to give credit where credit is due.

I used to work on a state park garbage truck in the summers. The driver was a crusty old-timer who'd seen it all. When we'd hit a barrel that had been out in the Ohio sun at 95 degrees for a week, it could get pretty nasty. Charlie'd get off the truck, look inside, and say, "That'd gag a maggot!"
That's kind of what Jim's poem reminds me of...
  by nick11a

OportRailfan wrote:
nick11a wrote: Thanks for that, Rule 282.
Oh, nick...

Nonsense thread, remember. :-)
  by X4401

ApproachMedium wrote:They go that fast every day. One engineer I worked with always referred to clear track 100mph as going for "ludicrous speed". The Acela goes plaid daily.
Did you pass this signal?

According to norac it is "Approach Ludicrous - Proceed to next signal at ludicrous speed. Trains exceeding ludicrous speed must begin reduction to ludicrous speed as soon as the approach ludicrous signal is clearly visible. Trains not equipped with operative cab signals must call their mechanical desk and leave angry voice-mails."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by lirr42

X4401, who was quoting the NORAC rule book wrote:"Trains not equipped with operative cab signals must call their mechanical desk and leave angry voice-mails."
That'll show 'em.
  by OportRailfan

by nick11a

X4401 wrote:
ApproachMedium wrote:They go that fast every day. One engineer I worked with always referred to clear track 100mph as going for "ludicrous speed". The Acela goes plaid daily.

According to norac it is "Approach Ludicrous - Proceed to next signal at ludicrous speed. Trains exceeding ludicrous speed must begin reduction to ludicrous speed as soon as the approach ludicrous signal is clearly visible. Trains not equipped with operative cab signals must call their mechanical desk and leave angry voice-mails."
That's rule 281l, correct?

Somehow, I expected the Aspect for Approach Ludicrous to be a bit more.... ludicrous.
  by Patrick Boylan

amtrakowitz wrote:Perhaps when one is a proponent of "Shirley Time"
amtrakowitz wrote: Did the NEC dwell times go up due to Shirley Time primarily?
what's Shirley Time?
http://www.facebook.com/shirley.time.9
  by 25Hz

amtrakowitz wrote:I didn't mention Trenton Expresses. The 47-mph average speed was for Trenton Locals, which were more prevalent in the past than expresses. And what expresses there were did have a faster average speed than nowadays, frankly.
  by MBTA1016

This thread is good to look at on a good or and day. It's funny to laugh at some of the posted stuff. Now what else can be added here? We've covered everything from sideswipes to popcorn and new rules, along with seeing some interesting artwork as well. How was nick voted worst moderator again? Is it because he let a thread like this continue? I'm not saying let's end it, just what's could possibly be left to add into it?
  by ns3010

Mbta fan wrote:How was nick voted worst moderator again?
Because Nick is... Nick... :-)

Mbta fan wrote:just what's could possibly be left to add into it?
I'm sure the people of this forum could come up with a lot to add to this... hahaha
Last edited by ns3010 on Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
  by Patrick Boylan

It's hard for me to confirm now that he merged the sideswipe stuff onto the beginning, but if I remember correctly Jeff Who Rules Smith created the nonsense thread. I guess Nick might worry he'd become worst ex moderator if he didn't let this Jeff Smith Inc patented product continue.
  by mtuandrew

X4401 wrote:

I think you have the wrong signal displayed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by mtuandrew

So, how about those EMUs.

:razz:

Also, 25Hz already posted my make-believe picture of married-pair Arrow IVs, but I'd be somewhat surprised if the power cars didn't end up looking similar. As others have stated, there isn't a lot of room on an MLV as it is, so Bombardier (or the eventual manufacturer, if such is ever built) will likely need to omit a number of seats on one end or the other.