• Adirondack Scenic Railroad (ADIX) Discussion - 2012

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by Alek9997

lvrr325 wrote:
Alek9997 wrote:
lvrr325 wrote:Probably, the MA&N will pick up the 9411 seeing as they're in Rome pretty frequently, and return to Utica with it, just like any other Adirondack locomotive.
Yeah, But what Guns' point was with "Friction Bearings" was that CSX doesn't like units with friction bearings on their tracks. But I don't think it would be hard for the MA&N to negotiate with CSX on being able to transport 9411 a short ways on CSX tracks, considering Rome is like 2 feet from Utica. (Well not really 2 feet, but you know what I mean. The MA&N Interchange near Rome is only about ten miles on CSX from the Utica Station Area).

But is the "Friction Bearing" policy different if it is a trackage-rights train providing the transport rather than an actual CSX train?

Alek S

I'll just repeat myself: Since the unit is not technically being interchanged (at least not to CSX), they may be able to get away with moving it via their trackage rights. It depends on what specifically is in the agreement as it was drafted or amended since. Old engines have a lot of potential issues now - coupler stop locks, what bearings it has, switchers are often limited to 30 mph regardless of bearing, etc etc etc -
Yeah, Not sure about that. Like you said, maybe "The Man" would be able to give us a better insight on this matter?

Alek S
  by The Man

I don't know what the contract GVT has with CSX says on the matter, I do know some cars with plain bearings have made the trip to Utica from Rome but right now I can't even get one of my locomotives with rollers moved to Utica so I am sure ADIX is not finding it easy to get that unit moved. At the same time if they needed it they could truck it to Remsen or something but it looks to me as if they are a little top heavy with poer right now. I mean 2 RS-18's, an RS-3, two F-units, an SW-1 and a GP-7 along with three units based in Utica on MA&N, I don't see a lot of reason to go jumping hurdles for a unit that is not yet needed. Ya it would be nice but so what?
  by traingeek8223

20 years...

For those that are not aware, today (July 4, 2012) marks 20 years of restored train service on the Adirondack Railroad. The first passenger train rolled out of the Thendara station on the then Adirondack Centennial Railroad on July 4, 1992 through what was nothing short of a miracle effort by volunteers of the Utica & Mohawk Valley Chapter, NRHS. What was suposed to be a short demonstration and celabration operation proved to be overwhelmingly sucessfull and continues today as the Adirondack Scenic Railroad. We all need to be proud of what has been accomplished to this point, and to reflect on the people we have lost. 20 years. It was suposed to be one.

Happy Anniversary Adirondack Scenic Railroad!!!

"To journy on the rails once more, really would be fine. Just one more chance to ride again on the Grand Adirondack Line." (Dave Gray)
  by Scott K

Wow. 20 years since the day we drove by Thendara on the way to 8th Lake and saw the train sitting there. I didn't even know at the time that the line was being worked on, let alone that it would be ready to ride on while we were camping nearby. You can guess what we did the next day, I've always treasured the memory of buying tickets to ride a real train, at the actual ticket window in the station. Too bad they switched to the gift shop counter after that.

Scott K.
  by Scott K

We haven't been in Thendara during the operating season in over 10 years. After the first season, the tickets I bought were always sold at the gift shop counter at the other end of the station. Of course, the last time I actually bought any there was the year Thomas was stranded up there by the washout near Holland Patent. The rides we took after that were on the Saranac-Placid end.

Sure wish we could be up there now, at either end! Haven't been able to afford to since '02 (too much bad luck since then).

Scott K.
  by N_DL640A

The washout in Holland Patent was in 1999.
I'm the only person to have been on both the last train before the washout, and the first train over the washout after it was fixed!
1508 and 705 were stranded in Thendara; 2064 and 8223 were stranded in Utica.
2064 pulled the last train before the washout, and 8223 pulled the first train over the repaired washout. 2064 would have also been used for power but the batteries were low. The CMO told us to plug in the MU jumper between the units and close the battery switch and the control breaker on 2064 in hopes that it would charge the batteries enough so it would start by the end of the run. It worked! I've used that trick or one like it many times in my career since then.

I was pretty active with the Adirondack Scenic back then and I do recall that in one way or another tickets were available through the gift shop at Thendara. I wasn't ever involved with that end of the operation though, so can't give any specifics (when or why).

Happy 20th ADIX!
  by MikeVT

By what I heard on the radio the Adirondack is under a serous threat. Sounds like the trail supporters are targeting individuals on the Adirondack board that support rehabilitating the railroad.
  by tree68

ARTA and its minions are working very hard to get the railroad removed. One has to wonder why, especially when they totally ignore any suggestions that run counter to removing the rails - like building a parallel trail, or developing/improving other trails in the area.

Estimates of the cost to maintain a hike/bike trail run into five figures per year - perhaps they have an eye on getting that maintenance money? We already know why for guy from Beaver River wants the rails gone.

What this all means is that each of us has to become a lobbyist for the rail corridor. Contact your representatives (and those whose districts the corridor runs through) voicing your support. Answer anti-rail letters to the editor in the newspapers.

Do so in an intelligent manner - a little homework never hurts. Sounding like an impassioned FRN doesn't really help the cause. Pointing out the fallacy of ARTA's arguments and the benefits of keeping the railroad is what is needed.
  by N_DL640A

I agree with what tree68 has said.
One other thing to think about is that the trail advocates are now becoming the agressor in attacking an individual for what he believes in.
Personally, I feel that they have really gone too far this time.
If this bothers you too, it would be a good idea to say so in direct and uncertain terms in a letter to the editor...
  by Otto Vondrak

MikeVT wrote:By what I heard on the radio the Adirondack is under a serous threat. Sounds like the trail supporters are targeting individuals on the Adirondack board that support rehabilitating the railroad.
Targeting how? Verbal threats? Smear campaigns?

-otto-
  by N_DL640A

They are requesting the forced removal of a co-chair of an Adirondack economic advocacy committee who supports the railroad, by CLAIMING that he is working against economic good by supporting the railroad rather than their trail plan... despite the fact that the decision of what is best is really just a matter of opinion.
In other words, they are trying to make an example of this man in order to intimidate people who support the railroad...
  by charlie6017

Here is an article on this, courtesy of the Adirondack Daily Enterprise:
TUPPER LAKE - At a forum Wednesday night, advocates for removing the train tracks in the Adirondack Rail Corridor questioned support for the railroad in the North Country Regional Economic Development Council's plan.

Garry Douglas, co-chairman of the council and outspoken rail advocate, took a moment at the end of a presentation to explain why the council included support for all rail projects in its plan last year.
http://www.adirondackdailyenterprise.co ... 31557.html

Charlie
  by MikeVT

I'm sure the Railroad is moving forward as best they can but every year that passes and the railroad is not in full operation just makes the case for the trail stronger.