• NYSW to own CEFX leasors

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

by sportsguy

That would be great to see some SD45s in action again. Can anyone confirm what he said about 3618?
  by ns3010

Steve F45 wrote:I recently saw a pic of 3618 no longer on the dead line. I believe it was coupled to 3016 and under that overpass next to the shops building, not in the dead line. So maybe its coming back online.
I know nothing, but I did find this photo from two weeks ago of 3618 coupled to 3143 (not mine):
http://rrpicturearchives.net/showPictur ... id=2920473

Sid Farkus wrote:Did anyone confirm that these SD60s are being purchased by the NYSW or will they be under a long-term lease? I went back on all the pages on this, and saw there was speculation that these units may be leased rather than purchased; or did I miss something?
Long term lease.
kingfish wrote:They will be leased long term. Paint schematic to be determined. GATX to supply. Shop facility will be Paducah, KY (VMV). Tax reasoning had nothing to do with commitment. Bugs need to be worked out on any legal contract.
  by sportsguy

I found that same photo. It was on the deadline for a reason. A locomotive doesn't get fixed by sitting there. Hopefully it's going to get fixed.
  by Sid Farkus

Thanks NS for pointing that out. Totally missed that post somehow...
  by TheTrainHunters

Sweet I haven't seen the SD45's yet! I would love to see that!
  by sportsguy

Can anyone please remind e why the SD45s are on deadline? I remember seeing one in early 2011 but nothing really since then.
  by Steve F45

yea i searched last night to find that photo of 3618, Maybe king can chime in on the plans for the "stored" loco's?
  by kingfish

scottychaos wrote:click for full size,

Scot
Anyone on the board have suggestions as to what NYSW could use for the paint colors for the Heritage scheme? Not brand but specific coloring.

Thank you.
George
  by Steve F45

I would do the silver/grey and maroon just like it was on the old alco's. And it's really cool to know that the company is considering this!

Also please make 3800 black and gold i dont want to have to renumber the model i painted. lol

King, any updates on the stored power?
  by lvrr325

I think he was asking for suggestions for specific shades by name or color formula, we get that it's maroon and cream.
  by scottychaos

I dont know if this will be helpful or not, but here are the color codes straight from photoshop:

Maroon:
R 158
G 2
B 6

Cream:
R 242
G 235
B 206

In Hexadecimal:
Maroon: 9E0206
Cream: F2EBCE

Scot
Last edited by scottychaos on Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by L&HR C&S

George & Scott,
I would urge that the grey be a little bit darker than shown above. In slides I have from 1985 of S2 # 206 after it was repainted the gery seemed too light, IMO. In some of the slides the unit actually looks to be marron and white. Case in point would be the photos on page 102 of Paul Tupaczewski's New York, Susquehanna & Western in Color. Page 67 and 77 of that book have 1940's photos which better depict the shade of grey (not really cream)
bn
  by sportsguy

L&HR C&S wrote:George & Scott,
I would urge that the grey be a little bit darker than shown above. In slides I have from 1985 of S2 # 206 after it was repainted the gery seemed too light, IMO. In some of the slides the unit actually looks to be marron and white. Case in point would be the photos on page 102 of Paul Tupaczewski's New York, Susquehanna & Western in Color. Page 67 and 77 of that book have 1940's photos which better depict the shade of grey (not really cream)
bn
I found a really good example of what he is saying.
http://www.maywoodstation.com/NYSW206Ri ... issoCC.jpg
  by scottychaos

L&HR C&S wrote:George & Scott,
I would urge that the grey be a little bit darker than shown above.
but the thing is.. its not grey! Image
its not supposed to be grey..it is supposed to be cream! Image
NYSW had both, Maroon & Cream, and Maroon and Grey:

(this was discussed further back in the thread! ;)
I think most agreed the maroon & creme looks much nicer than the maroon & grey..
both are historically accurate for the NYSW in general..(both schemes existed)
but since neither is technically historically accurate for a SD60, since the NYSW has never owned SD60's before, either can be used! ;)

Kingfish was the first to propose the idea of maroon & creme as an idea for the SD60's, so that is what I went with..
Initially only Maroon & Creme was being discussed at all..then later, just for reference I did one Maroon & Grey version as well..
but personally I think the Maroon & Creme is *much* nicer..

Click for full size:

Scot
  by scottychaos

hmmm..now that I look at it compared to the painting of the motor car,
im thinking perhaps both the maroon and the cream are a touch too light..(on my maroon & creme SD60 drawing)..
might just be my monitor though..(getting accurate color over the internet is very difficult..everyone has different monitor balances, no one is seeing exactly the same thing)
(although the image of the book cover is a bit dark! ;) so its not a fair comparison..)

but tomorrow morning I will look at it again on my balanced monitor at work, and maybe post a tweaked version..

Scot