• Commuter Rail Delay Discussion

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by diburning

Yes, but the signalling issue may not have anything to do with the malfunction of the signals, but simply dispatcher negligence in changing it. So, it IS possible for a "signal problem" to be Pan Am's fault since Pan Am dispatches everything west of CPF-WL.
  by Komarovsky

This morning was an interesting one for the P506 and P508.

The P506(6:30 train from worcester) left the station at 6:55am and is delayed 20-25 minutes due to a mechanical failure at Worcester.

The P508(6:55am train from worcester) left the station at about 7:05am and is delayed about 10-15 minutes due to P506.

I know that the P506 is a local and the P508 is an express, but why bother running the P506 a delay causes it to leave at the same time as the P508?

Also, this entire week the P508 has been short a conductor and every few weeks the train has been short crew members for several days. Is there a personnel shortage at MBCR?

edit: P508 is now a local train!

Edit 2: P508 is now delayed 30 minutes
  by AEM7AC920

Actually P508 did run one or twice this week with a full crew I know because I covered it. ;). They are doing a 5 day block training so with so many people in class some of the jobs are going uncovered but it usually is that way regardless on the south side. There is a new class of rookies due out at the start of next month so things should improve man power wise.
  by octr202

Late post here...

This morning #202 was "cancelled" out of Haverhill. Wasn't called that though, was listed as "30 minute delay." A train arrived at Andover on time for #204, with what appeared to be #204's crew, so it appears #202 never ran.

Later, when I got to town, I learned via a fellow commuter that they sent a cover set to Reading and made up half of #202's run from Reading in. No idea how late, but less than 30 minutes.

Mechanical failure cited for delay to #202
  by Rbts Stn

When is a mechanical delay not a mechanical delay?

When it's a medical emergency

T-Alerts Notification ✆ [email protected] to me

show details 6:48 AM (5 hours ago)

Needham 602 06:45 AM IB experiencing 10-15 min delays due to mechanical failure 2/21/2012 6:47AM

T-Alerts Notification ✆ [email protected] to me

show details 7:34 AM (4 hours ago)

Needham 602 06:45 AM IB experiencing 15-20 min delays due to a medical emergency ahead. 2/21/2012 7:33 AM
  by Komarovsky

Bad morning for the Worcester line.

P506 was delayed 15-20 minutes due to a mechanical failure

P507 was delayed 25-30 minutes due to earlier mechanical failures.

P508 was delayed 20-25 minutes due to P506.

P512 was cancelled due to mechanical failure.

P514 was delayed 10-15 minutes due to earlier mechanical failures.
  by MBTA1016

Komarovsky wrote:Bad morning for the Worcester line.

P506 was delayed 15-20 minutes due to a mechanical failure

P507 was delayed 25-30 minutes due to earlier mechanical failures.

P508 was delayed 20-25 minutes due to P506.

P512 was cancelled due to mechanical failure.

P514 was delayed 10-15 minutes due to earlier mechanical failures.
Thats not the typical Worcester line, it would be normal is csx is to blame. No offense to anyone who works for them.
  by Komarovsky

As a regular rider I agree that's not the norm for the Worcester line. None the less, it was a pretty bad morning for quite a few people I'd imagine(I was on P508).
  by MBTA1016

Komarovsky wrote:As a regular rider I agree that's not the norm for the Worcester line. None the less, it was a pretty bad morning for quite a few people I'd imagine(I was on P508).

I never thought is was possible to be delayed by a train ahead of the one in front of u. I ride the trustworthy and usually on time Franklin line. :) (never a daily rider). It can't be fun going to work using a line that is known for having problems everyday.(thanks csx).
  by Komarovsky

I should have clarified that the P507 is an outbound train from boston to worcester. It didn't cause P508 to be delayed since it was headed in the other direction.

CSX rarely causes the trains I'm on problems. Usually delays are down to mechanical problems with the engines. Does anyone know if there is somethig unique to the worcester line that would put unusul wear and tear on the rolling stock?
  by MBTA1016

diburning wrote:I've read somewhere on this forum that the B&A might have a track profile that works better for heavy freights, but not so good for higher speed passenger rail. Whether this is true or not had never been revealed.
There has to be good sized hills between framingham and Worcester. There are defiantly some
Past Worcester heading west(thats all I'm saying about Worcester west)
  by TrainManTy

Mbta fan wrote:
diburning wrote:I've read somewhere on this forum that the B&A might have a track profile that works better for heavy freights, but not so good for higher speed passenger rail. Whether this is true or not had never been revealed.
There has to be good sized hills between framingham and Worcester. There are defiantly some
Past Worcester heading west(thats all I'm saying about Worcester west)
The term track profile refers to the rails, ties, superelevation, etc. The actual grade profile can't really be better for heavy freights than passenger trains...the flatter the better, no matter what kind of train!

To the west of Worcester is Charlton Summit (with grade exceeding 1% on either side), but the commuter rail doesn't run there. Worcester is the "city of seven hills" so the railroads must get through those to get in and out. Coming out of Worcester the line runs past Lake Quinsigamond which allows a natural gap in the hills.

From Worcester to Boston, the line is an almost steady downgrade all the way to Boston, never exceeding 0.7% upgrade or down.
  by MBTA1016

Ok that's intersting how many hills need to be passed to get in and out of Worcester. Even with it all downhill to Boston csx is still using the same tracks. Framingham and beacon park are bottle necks.
  by cpf354

From mbta.com:
"Fitch/SoActon 2407 11:20 AM experiencing 45 min delay due to an earlier mechanical failure at South Acton. 3/4/2012 1:10 PM"
Actually it conked out at Concord and got moving at 1250PM. MBTA 66 was the leader.