• Commuter Rail Delay Discussion

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by diburning

No. Trains that lay over in Worcester lay over in the MBTA layover yard. Trains that terminate in Framingham stay on the main, and load passengers before going inbound. If there are any Framingham trains that do not go inbound (I haven't checked) then they would deadhead back to Boston.
  by MBTA1016

Komarovsky wrote:P508 out of Worcester is delayed 20-25 minutes due to track problems in the CSX Worcester yard. Some combination of not being able to contact the CSX dispatcher and work on the track itself.

Diburning if they layover in MBTAs yes how does a train get delayed in csxs Worcester yard?
  by Komarovsky

Any trains from Worcester station has to move through CSX's yard going to or from Worcester. At the moment, they are doing construction on the yard and the tracks along the mainline and in order to proceed they have to get permission to go through the work zone. That morning they couldn't get permission to go along one of the two mainline tracks and had to backup and go on another track that they had permission to go on.
  by MBTA1016

Thanks for the info I had always thought that the worcester layover was shared by csx.
  by Komarovsky

MBTA Fan, if you want to see where the yard is, its located just west Union Station in Worcester, across Interstate 290.

edit: That would be east of union station.
Last edited by Komarovsky on Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by dcm74

Komarovsky wrote:MBTA Fan, if you want to see where the yard is, its located just west Union Station in Worcester, across Interstate 290.
Actually just EAST of the station.
  by MBTA1016

I dont plan on going to Worcester anytime soon besides palmer has more in variety of trains.
  by ck4049

This is a thread related to DELAYS on the MBTA COMMUTER RAIL. That is a topic for the New England Railfans forum, not this one.
  by ST214

439 was delayed about 30 minutes tonight. No delay was posted online.
  by TrainManTy

All inbound trains from Fitchburg were delayed 30+ minutes this morning after Pan Am had signal problems between Fitchburg and Ayer (where trains switch to MBTA-[EDIT: dispatched] track). All the signals were red, and trains had to stop and proceed past each one with permission from the dispatcher.

I was on 406, which filled up at South Acton and was standing room-only with the aisle mostly full by the time I got on at Lincoln. Passengers filled the vestibules from Waltham onwards, and we had to turn people away at Waverley and Belmont - there simply was no room at all. As usual, the train crew was the public face of the railroad and took the blame for another railroad's technical problems. The A/C at my door had people swearing at him and almost got hit by some guy's cane. Hurray for our I-must-blame-someone culture!

We eventually made it to North Station about an hour late. Not a single T-Alert on the delays.
Last edited by TrainManTy on Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by Komarovsky

The P508 was delayed this morning because CSX decided to dispatch a freight in front of us from the Westboro yard construction site. We crawled along at about 25mph all the way from Westboro to Back Bay.
  by sery2831

TrainManTy wrote:All inbound trains from Fitchburg were delayed 30+ minutes this morning after Pan Am had signal problems between Fitchburg and Ayer (where trains switch to MBTA-owned track). All the signals were red, and trains had to stop and proceed past each one with permission from the dispatcher.
Just to clear up the post so someone does not take some wrong information from the post.

Between Fitchburg and Ayer it is dispatched by Pan Am. The signal system and track is owned and MAINTAINED by MBCR.
  by TrainManTy

sery2831 wrote:
TrainManTy wrote:All inbound trains from Fitchburg were delayed 30+ minutes this morning after Pan Am had signal problems between Fitchburg and Ayer (where trains switch to MBTA-owned track). All the signals were red, and trains had to stop and proceed past each one with permission from the dispatcher.
Just to clear up the post so someone does not take some wrong information from the post.

Between Fitchburg and Ayer it is dispatched by Pan Am. The signal system and track is owned and MAINTAINED by MBCR.
Oh, so a signaling issue would actually be the MBCR's problem? The train crew this morning was putting 100% of the blame on Pan Am...in error, I guess?
  by sery2831

Not in error, just think it is as the passengers blaming the crew. Same thing.