• Police to Railroad??...good move or not

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by Freddy

Trainmaster 2005 wrote:To UPPROSPECT. I was in the same situation as you several years ago. I am a retired officer from the NYPD, 22 yrs and now a officer in Connecticut. Several years ago I had an interested for working for N/S and had applied for a position as a conductor. A recruiter called me for an orientation along with 50 other persons that applied. During my interview with her, she asked to be frank with me and stated "Why was I interested in working for the railroad'. I told her my interest in railroading, possibly making a little more pay than I was,( I was making around $70,000 base salary at the time) and was just looking for a career change. She told me after talking with me that I would be selected to move further on with the hiring process but since she had a genuine interest in hiring me, she really wanted to let me know what I was in for. She stated she was with the railroad for approximately 10 yrs and had become an engineer. After being hired and completing her training, she was always away from home, had to be at work on a moments notice and if the job did not call her, that was considered her day off. Hard way to plan any thing. She stated it was a very good possibility to be away from home several days at a time. She went on to tell me she became a recruiter and was in her second year doing that. She further stated that even as a recruiter she was never home and that this was her last week doing it. She had had enough and wanted to settle down. She never gave an impression as being disgruntled with the job. I gave it a lot of thought and decided to pass on the position. At the time, my children were young and the thought of seeing my family less than I was seeing them now wasn't worth it. Imagine being several hundred miles from home and having to get home in an emergency? And with no vehicle at your disposal? To the people that work for the railroads, I have the utmost respect for them. I give them a lot of credit doing their job. I am no way an expert in any of their positions, but just saw this posting and thought I could shed some light with my experience in the matter. As for you considering leaving the police, yeah I say it every day too. But 12 years is a lot of time you have invested in your career and I think maybe looking for a different department could be the way to go. A larger dept with better salaries and more man power where as you gain seniority, you can get more holidays off and etc. Remember, in most departments here in the northeast, officers collect full pension after 20 years of service and I don't think thats possible to do with a railroad pension. And I know their pensions are excellent. You could always do it after you retire as a officer. A 2nd pension isn't a bad thing! Good luck with your decision and always be safe. I hope you let the forum know what you decided.
This is the best and only advice you need.
  by kevin.brackney

Again, I did not read all the posts relating to this topic thoroughly; but I felt that maybe my own personal experiences might be helpful. I served 13 years active duty military; three years in the Marine Corps, and ten in the Regular Army. I was getting burned out and needed a change: I left active duty, reenlisted in the Army Reserve, and after nine months of painting houses I was hired by the Chicago and Northwestern. Now I have over 18 years in the railroad industry, and a military retirement pending. I haven't regretted once making the switch (no pun intended).