Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by Silverliner II

I passed an NS train tonight (Tuesday, 10-4) with two more PL42AC's in tow behind the engine consist....couldn't get numbers from my position, but I'm sure someone here will spot them at the MMC within the day.....

by nick11a

Silverliner II wrote:I passed an NS train tonight (Tuesday, 10-4) with two more PL42AC's in tow behind the engine consist....couldn't get numbers from my position, but I'm sure someone here will spot them at the MMC within the day.....
These will be the first two new PL42ACs to be delivered on property since about April.

by IRFCA_RRfan

Idiot Railfan wrote:4020 has been on the 6:55 PVL a couple times in the past week
4020 was pulling 1631 out of Hoboken @5:37pm on the PVL yesterday. For whatever reason it got stuck on the way and was passed by several M/B trains before making it to Sec 10 min late.
As Nick mentioned before, it is much quiter and can slide by you without jolting your cuppa java..

by nick11a

Friend of mine told me that as of 12:30 AM, Croxton yard recieved 4007 and 4016. Seems they are continuing the habit of delivering the locomotives in numerical order. :-D

by Silverliner II

nick11a wrote:Friend of mine told me that as of 12:30 AM, Croxton yard recieved 4007 and 4016. Seems they are continuing the habit of delivering the locomotives in numerical order. :-D
Yeah, I get worried when they deliver stuff out of sequence, like when ALP46's 4600, 4601, and 4602 arrived in that order.... :-D

by njt4172

nick11a wrote:Friend of mine told me that as of 12:30 AM, Croxton yard recieved 4007 and 4016. Seems they are continuing the habit of delivering the locomotives in numerical order. :-D

The end is very near for the GP40FH-2!!!! :(

by hsr_fan

Wait, are the GP40-FH-2's being retired, or just the GP-40's? (The FH-2's are the ones with the full width bodies, right?)

by DutchRailnut

well 33 new PL42ac's so you figure on about 25 or so locomotives being retired , you figure on which ones.
one clue non of retirees is MNCR.

by nick11a

The FHs are some of the oldest and some of the most unreliable. The CNJs are doing pretty good so far overall. I'll say this much, they're probably won't be many folks who work on the RR who will be sad to see them go.

by Silverliner II

hsr_fan wrote:Wait, are the GP40-FH-2's being retired, or just the GP-40's? (The FH-2's are the ones with the full width bodies, right?)
If I were to hazard a guess, I'd say that the following locomotives will be put to pasture after all the PL42AC's arrive:

GP40PH = 4100-4112

GP40FH = 4130-4144

I'd expand on this by saying that renumbering of some remaining locos would be nice just to consolidate the rosted, but that is stuff for railfan and roster compiler dreams....

by 4 Express

Is NJT planning on running a railfan trip for them? (j/k)

by sullivan1985

Silverliner II wrote:
hsr_fan wrote:Wait, are the GP40-FH-2's being retired, or just the GP-40's? (The FH-2's are the ones with the full width bodies, right?)
If I were to hazard a guess, I'd say that the following locomotives will be put to pasture after all the PL42AC's arrive:

GP40PH = 4100-4112

GP40FH = 4130-4144

I'd expand on this by saying that renumbering of some remaining locos would be nice just to consolidate the rosted, but that is stuff for railfan and roster compiler dreams....
I wouldn't say goodbye to the GP40PH-2's for a while. They look and sound to be in much better condition than the FH's. I wonder if NJT would ever consider doing another rebuild on the PH-2's and upgrade them to PH-2B's?

And as for the PL42AC, I finally saw it idling on the far track in Hoboken attached to the Comet I train set that nick photographed for us. I wanted to go over by it and check it out and snap a few shots, but it was railing, freezing, and my train was leaving.

by steemtrayn

I heard a PL got rolled over in a derailment before being delivered, and now NJT ain't taking it. Anyone know of this is true?

by nick11a

steemtrayn wrote:I heard a PL got rolled over in a derailment before being delivered, and now NJT ain't taking it. Anyone know of this is true?
I suppose it is possible but I ain't heard anything about it. I do know they have at least 5 on property now. There was talk about the PLs having possible derailment problems on tight curves- but that was a rumour as well.

by njtmnrrbuff

Tomorrow, I will be in NJT land. I am taking a trip to Perth Amboy. I hope to see one from out the window.