• Pan Am Website downgrade?

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by CN9634

I checked the website to see if any new clippers had come out to find that the latest one had been removed. Also the website said the last update was November 2007. Odd

http://panamrailways.com/xpress/clipper.htm
  by MEC407

Their site has been acting weird for the past week or so. It seems to keep reverting back to older versions of the site, then reverting back to the newer version, then back to the old again, etc.

Just one more reason why they deserve an award for having the worst web site in the entire railroad industry.
  by guilfordrailfan

The website saga continues. As of 3:30 pm on 9/24/08 http://www.panamrailways.com brings up a banner which reads simply "Service Unavailable". Do you suppose they are referring only to the website? (tongue firmly planted in cheek) :-)
MEC407 wrote: ...Just one more reason why they deserve an award for having the worst web site in the entire railroad industry.
I have yet to see another current railroad website as poorly designed as this one, and I just have to wonder why. It really wouldn't take that much effort to create a much better web image.
  by dansapo

Wow,the only thing comes to mind about Pan Am's website.. craptastic.
  by cpf354

Just checked it and it froze my IE7! :P I read that their mainframes need some serious upgrading. It was so bad one employee reportedly took their lap-top to work. Maybe the servers crashed or they're getting replaced. If so, then MAYBE there will be a decent web-page to look at.
  by johnpbarlow

cpf354 wrote:Just checked it and it froze my IE7! :P I read that their mainframes need some serious upgrading. It was so bad one employee reportedly took their lap-top to work. Maybe the servers crashed or they're getting replaced. If so, then MAYBE there will be a decent web-page to look at.
PAR uses a mainframe computer? Is it like an IBM 360 or UNIVAC model? Are punch cards and paper tape used?

;-)
  by Ridgefielder

The first time I went on the (then Guilford) website I thought I was in the wrong place. They had two "system maps": one of the B&M and one of the MEC. All well and good: but the MEC map was from 1916 and the B&M map was dated 1898(!). Delusions of grandeur, perhaps?
  by jbvb

Given the content of a couple of other threads, one wonders if they've got overdue bills from their hosting company or webmaster...
  by Cosmo

johnpbarlow wrote:
cpf354 wrote:Just checked it and it froze my IE7! :P I read that their mainframes need some serious upgrading. It was so bad one employee reportedly took their lap-top to work. Maybe the servers crashed or they're getting replaced. If so, then MAYBE there will be a decent web-page to look at.
PAR uses a mainframe computer? Is it like an IBM 360 or UNIVAC model? Are punch cards and paper tape used?

;-)
Methinks they "upgraded" from the "girbil-on-a-wheel" to a squirrel on a rowing machine. :wink:
  by guilfordrailfan

I just noticed that Pan Am's wonderful website added a new link on their home page:
Pan Am brands small.jpg
http://www.panamrailways.com/

They are selling Pan Am nerchandise. It appears to be mostly luggage retro-styled after bags that Pan Am Airways actually sold in the 1960's and 70's. Cool stuff but VERY expensive. Is this to suppliment freight railroad revenues? :-D
  by Cosmo

guilfordrailfan wrote:I just noticed that Pan Am's wonderful website added a new link on their home page:
They are selling Pan Am nerchandise. It appears to be mostly luggage retro-styled after bags that Pan Am Airways actually sold in the 1960's and 70's. Cool stuff but VERY expensive.
Is this to suppliment freight railroad revenues? :-D
No silly! It's to pay for a "new" PC/server with Windows 98 to bring them into THIS century! :P

HAR!
  by DogBert

http://www.panamone.com/Home.html

You have to turn your speakers on, heh heh heh! I actually saw someone at a baseball game a few months ago with a Pan Am bag and was wondering where the heck they found it. Knowing now that they're actually selling this stuff makes me wonder why that person blew $100 on a bag...
  by frrc

Just went to the website and got "SERVICE UNAVAILABLE", tried a few times, same results....
  by MEC407

Service unavailable... isn't that what most of PAR's customers are told when they call up and ask for cars to be switched out? :P
  by AutisticPsycho

According to the HTML code, it was made in Microsoft FrontPage 4.0. Gotta love those FrontPage templates... :wink:
I bet a short-line could make a better website with a WordPress template! :P