• Pan Am Repaint Thread

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by MEC407

In this case they're probably just using PAR Blue because they have a lot of it in stock and GATX is probably happy to have the unit repainted regardless of the color.
  by jr145

And I'm sure they got a break on the lease in exchange for painting it too.
  by MEC407

Yes, that was my assumption as well.
  by railfan482

I just had a general question for anyone if they knew, but as far as anyone is concerned, how many of the Pan Am 300 series GP40 units still remain in the original Guilford paint scheme? And further more, does anyone know or think that Pan Am will eventually "dip" all their existing Guilford-painted units the blue scheme or just keep whats left in their original Guilford schemes? Anyone imagine a projected time line for how long they may plan to paint them all?
Any thoughts/comments are totally welcome.
  by thebigham

^I doubt they will repaint all the "Guilford Gray" locos.

Did they even repaint a unit in 2013?

Painting is a low priority for them. Just keeping them in service is hard enough for them.
  by MEC407

I don't have specific numbers handy, but they did do some painting in 2013. One example is MEC 518.
  by Dick H

Thanks to Mr. Goodrich and the Guilford/PanAm Sightings Group,
twenty-nine 300 class units are still in Big G paint. Four of those
show out of service. Only fifteen 300's got the blue paint so far.
  by MEC407

Thanks for the info Dick. For comparison purposes, how many of the 500s and 600s have been painted in PAR colors?
  by guilfordrailfan

thebigham wrote:^I doubt they will repaint all the "Guilford Gray" locos.

Did they even repaint a unit in 2013?

Painting is a low priority for them. Just keeping them in service is hard enough for them.
They painted exactly two Pan Am locos in 2013 - 518 and 519. Three other GMTX locos were repainted GATX blue at Waterville under contract during 2013.
  by MEC407

Thanks Bill!
  by Dick H

Thanks again to Bill Goodrich and the Guilford Sghtings Group for this report

500's report as of 12/31/13

10 out of 20 repainted in PAR blue dip.
#500 (not repainted, OOS)
#506 (was repainted, OOS
#513 (either never ran, or very briefly)

600's report as of 12/31/13

18 of 20 repainted.
#614 still in Helm maroon
#615 still in Helm blue
#603 and #610 OOS
  by MEC407

Excellent. Thanks Dick!
  by 690

Not really repainting, but someone seems to enjoy applying white tape to the noses of several engines (pictures taken by Billy Wehmeyer):

http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?20140 ... 589173.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?photo ... 518967.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?photo ... 038027.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

613 has also had a white stripe added, as seen here.
  by MEC407

I wonder if it's the Bell Bandit...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.