• Pan Am Repaint Thread

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by Guilford Guy9887

I have a question. What size nose is on the 606?
  by KSmitty

I checked on that tape. FRA certified 3M railcar tape is $250 for a 150ft roll. It can be purchased in either a solid 50yd roll or "kiss-cut" every 18 inches. I can see why they use the smaller option. Thats a lot of money, considering an SD40-2 has a wheel base of 43+ feet and a pulling face length of 68+ feet the frame length would probably be somewhere in between. Lets say an even 50 feet. Based on that, every 3 locomotves they paint would require 2 rolls, or $500 worth of tape. The current strips, in 18 sections number 8 on the 604, per side, so 16 total. Instead of a locomotive and a half for 1 roll they can get 6 locomotives done for that same 250 bucks.

That decision was probably the easiest one they ever made...
  by KSmitty

calaisbranch wrote:Sorry to get off the tape thing there Kevin, but figured I'd put up these couple of pics on the 505 from yesterday;) Even the wheels look new for some reason.

http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?photo ... 513329.jpg
+
http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?photo ... 813847.jpg
The tape thing was more an aside than anything else.

Nice Pictures Jeff!
The 505 looks awesome. Obviously I cant see every inch of the unit, but just based on pictures that looks to be the best paint job they've rolled out in a while. Plus its nice to see a PAR Globe on a widecab thats not ripped into a million pieces like the 506.
  by MEC407

Nice!
  by CFD125

But... I liked the smurf paint job. :(
  by MEC407

I liked it too. I was really hoping that they'd make some minor changes/improvements to it, rather than completely redesign it. Alas, I'm not in charge.
  by newpylong

ugh, I thought it was atrocious. I think the newer one is much better.
  by MEC407

It wasn't perfect, I'll admit that. But with some changes, it could have been really outstanding. The new one isn't bad either, it just isn't very original. From a distance, it looks just like Florida East Coast.
  by dnelson

newpylong wrote:ugh, I thought it was atrocious. I think the newer one is much better.
It was nice to have two "smurf paint job" units around for a little more variety, I think.
  by emdpower75

I liked it just because it was something different to look at. If they painted a locomotive red and put Pan Am logos on it, I would find that interesting/rare too.
  by CFD125

Don't forget, nobody liked the charcoal / orange GuIlford scheme for years and years.

Now people are excited to catch an all gray lashup on camera.

Would have been nice to see a white seperation stripe between the charcaol and blue on the smurfs.
  by calaisbranch

A "smurf" update of sorts.....

It was the fifth loco of six on WANM today. Big job with over 110 cars. The train was into Newport, ME around 2:30-3:00pm. It's also facing east again, which means it's been wyed since the last time up here a couple weeks back.
  by diburning

MEC407 wrote:It wasn't perfect, I'll admit that. But with some changes, it could have been really outstanding. The new one isn't bad either, it just isn't very original. From a distance, it looks just like Florida East Coast.
With the blue and the flying logo, it almost looks like MoPac