• Pan Am Repaint Thread

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by KSmitty

Jeff nice shots. The first one is awesome, even with that dent in 378's fuel tank, wheres the dent puller when you really need it :wink:

I think most, probably all, of us agree, the FP-9's are the best looking locomotives on the roster because of their black underbody. If only.

I noticed that the radiator grills on the 378 are blue while the 345 has gray grills. Is this something new, or do all repaints get blue grills, and then with all the heat from the radiator the grills peel quickly?
  by calaisbranch

I actually just did a search on NERAIL to see how 349 looked when it was fresh. Apparently the color difference has to do only with how much more use 349 has had in the blue than 378. Give the latter a month or so, and its radiators will look gray, too. Wonder what other locos are getting done that we don't know about yet.....Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't 378 the first 370-series repainted since 370?
  by MEC&BAR

KSmitty wrote:Wow, 378 looks good. I love the way the highhoods look in PAR paint. Its like the scheme was made for them.
I agree 100% I never really cared one way or the other about the highhoods before, but now I think they look great in PAR paint.
I can't wait until they paint more of them. I thought 378 looked great!
  by KSmitty

calaisbranch wrote:I actually just did a search on NERAIL to see how 349 looked when it was fresh. Apparently the color difference has to do only with how much more use 349 has had in the blue than 378. Give the latter a month or so, and its radiators will look gray, too. Wonder what other locos are getting done that we don't know about yet.....Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't 378 the first 370-series repainted since 370?
I guess it must just be the heat off the radiators or something, then, that causes them to go gray so quickly.

And, the only 370 class locomotives painted are 370, 378 and 382 (of course the 381 is painted too but doesn't really fall into the "370 class" in any way except numerically.)
  by roberttosh

So have any of the second batch of engines (i.e. Trona) that PAR bought been painted yet?
  by KSmitty

Not that I know of.

Mr. Gingrich's last roster showed 610-619 as all still in the colors they arrived in.
  by MEC407

337 has been repainted.
  by calaisbranch

MEC407 wrote:337 has been repainted.

I, for one, didn't even realize this unit was still running. I notice a few that had been missing for a while have shown up with the repaints. Add another. I'll be watching for it up here in the NMJ area!
  by KSmitty

MEC407 wrote:337 has been repainted.
I've read a few places that 337 has been repainted, but also that it was relettered MEC from BM. Is this true?
  by MEC407

by emdpower75

Rumor has the MEC 612 released from Waterville in new paint.
  by calaisbranch

Thanks! That was news to me. Nowadays, you just send a couple scans over the internet, and they reply back with the scan code saying they "might be able to use something." Then it's wait and see when the next issue comes out. Seems things have been quieting down in the Waterville paint booth lately.
  by Hux

emdpower75 wrote:Rumor has the MEC 612 released from Waterville in new paint.
Yes indeed.
  by KSmitty

Hux wrote:Yes indeed.
Well, the first one emerges. I imagine that it wont be long now until the rest of MEC 610-619 will be in the dip blue...