• Pan Am / Guilford Bashing

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by MEC407

SPACEMONKEY wrote:They are out to make money and get the H award every year for having little or no lnjuries.
Well, they didn't win the Harriman Award this year... not even the bronze. :wink:

by Jonny Bolt

SPACEMONKEY wrote:They are out to make money and get the H award every year for having little or no lnjuries.

But before anything else is the overall goal of funding Fink Sr. and Mellonheads projects and pockets.

Believe me when I say nothing else matters, when Fink Sr rolls in on Sunday mornings at Billerica to attend the morning meeting- there is never any mention of anything that looks good or new, no one dare say something so foolish, all that matters is the dept. budgets and the car count.

All RR's have the same goal of making money, except some do it by actually investing in the company vs. selling it off piece by piece and running junk at the head end. Hey they still seem to be making it one way or another, pretty or not, they are still here playing with the only new thing they have - the name!! but it's all the same game folks, one way or another the green needs to roll in or heads will roll.
Insert 50 Clap smilies here.

Unfortunately, the wrong people own & operate this RR. It's sad...very, very sad.

by NRGeep

When the old vintage junks crawl by at 10mph it's easier to see all the rusty corroded details of the units than those pesky CSX modern locos flying by at 50mph. :wink:

by Jonny Bolt

NRGeep wrote:When the old vintage junks crawl by at 10mph it's easier to see all the rusty corroded details of the units than those pesky CSX modern locos flying by at 50mph. :wink:
I just thought of something after reading your post.......to me, thats the one and only good thing about "PAR" and its ownership/management, they keep the cool older models around. I personally like all the old geeps and the whole roster in general. Too bad most of cashola is spent padding the pockets of the Top Dogs with short arms and deep pockets.

by calaisbranch

Jonny Bolt wrote:
NRGeep wrote:When the old vintage junks crawl by at 10mph it's easier to see all the rusty corroded details of the units than those pesky CSX modern locos flying by at 50mph. :wink:
I just thought of something after reading your post.......to me, thats the one and only good thing about "PAR" and its ownership/management, they keep the cool older models around. I personally like all the old geeps and the whole roster in general. Too bad most of cashola is spent padding the pockets of the Top Dogs with short arms and deep pockets.
Something I've laughed at over the years of chasing trains....I would kill to get conventional cab GP40s leading on CR and now CSX. ON G, I practically run away from them after all the other archaic stuff I've been able to bag. A '40 is a '40, but I guess I like them in better colors than charcoal gray and orange! :wink:

JB
  by NellsChoo

I had a long post all carefully typed up about how people put so much effort into being negative. Then I remembered what my boyfriend keeps telling me: don't reply to something when you are mad or not relaxed. So I deleted the post, and will only say this:

If you hate PanAm so much, why are you even looking at this section of the forums?

JD

by Rockingham Racer

NellsChoo wrote:If you hate PanAm so much, why are you even looking at this section of the forums?
Because the human animal takes morose delectation in reading morbid things..... :-D

JD
  by MEC407

NellsChoo wrote:If you hate PanAm so much, why are you even looking at this section of the forums?
Probably the same reason that conservatives like to start fights on liberal discussion forums, liberals like to start fights on conservative discussion forums, etc. :wink:

(Having said that: let's not get into politics here!!! LOL)

by MEC407

Nice photo by the way, Nells. What tower is that?
  by calaisbranch

NellsChoo wrote:I had a long post all carefully typed up about how people put so much effort into being negative. Then I remembered what my boyfriend keeps telling me: don't reply to something when you are mad or not relaxed. So I deleted the post, and will only say this:

If you hate PanAm so much, why are you even looking at this section of the forums?

JD
Don't know about anyone else, but the only thing I personally "hate" about the road is that new, loser PAN AM name. It'll always be simply Big "G" or Guilford to me. While it just pains me to see a rail artery with such a large physical plant being underutilized and maintained just enough to move the stuff, it does have trains rolling over it. Anything is better than nothing when it comes to that.

JB

by MEC407

I don't dislike the Pan Am name, but I can only imagine how sad it makes the folks who love and admire the original Pan Am. Somebody once made a excellent analogy of how those people must feel, that went something like this: "If a porta-potty company put the Boston & Maine or Maine Central logo on their porta-potties, how would you feel? That's how Pan Am buffs feel when they see their logo on a boxcar."

Perhaps the saddest thing of all is that the rebranding not only drives the image/memory/history of the B&M and MEC further into oblivion, it also drags the Pan Am image/memory/history through the mud in the process.

by NellsChoo

MEC407 wrote:Nice photo by the way, Nells. What tower is that?
That tower stands at Ayer MA. There used to be far more rail lines sprouting out of town... so the tower is actually slightly angled from the tracks. Word is the tower will be manned again. In fact, last week there was a man up there! Pretty nifty...

by cpf354

MEC407 wrote:I don't dislike the Pan Am name, but I can only imagine how sad it makes the folks who love and admire the original Pan Am. Somebody once made a excellent analogy of how those people must feel, that went something like this: "If a porta-potty company put the Boston & Maine or Maine Central logo on their porta-potties, how would you feel? That's how Pan Am buffs feel when they see their logo on a boxcar."

Perhaps the saddest thing of all is that the rebranding not only drives the image/memory/history of the B&M and MEC further into oblivion, it also drags the Pan Am image/memory/history through the mud in the process.
I'm wondering if somewhere deep in the bowels of the management there's some regret or re-thinking of the Pan Am branding policy, largely because the operation that is the flagship of the brand itself appears to be shrinking, Boston-Maine Airways. They're currently operating just a handful of weekday commuter flights to four locations in the Northeast.
There seems to be no effort at all in getting any of the locomotives re-painted. What, 2 in the year and a half since the name change? They could go back to some other identity before long. Boston and Maine Railroad would be nice!

by NRGeep

I would rather they change their name to the Pinto RR than dragging the B&M name through the mud again... :(

by cpf354

NRGeep wrote:I would rather they change their name to the Pinto RR than dragging the B&M name through the mud again... :(
Actually, going to B&M is kind of far-fetched. If they did give up on Pan Am, they could just go back to Guilford, since all but two of the locos are painted in G colors. It would be something if the airline went defunct, and only the railroad would carry on with the Pan Am name.