• Palmetto - Train 89 Incident

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by ACeInTheHole

scoostraw wrote:I believe I read that one of the two fatalities was the machine operator's supervisor, who realizing what was happening - ran toward the backhoe in an attempt to get the man out of there.
A noble final act for sure. Sad.
  by STrRedWolf

ryanov wrote:The NTSB is one of the most respected organizations on the planet, which is something considering the currently political climate. You're who, exactly, some 13-year-old on the Internet?
Lets not get into another flame war here, okay?

Yes, the NTSB is damn good at what they do, because they take their sweet damn time doing it. They get every fact and piece of evidence possible to recreate the accident, and that takes time. Granted, they can do a quick synopsis, but the official final word will be about a year out.

Want proof? Just look at NTSB's Railroad Accident Report Archive. One accidents of note is Amtrak Palmetto Train 90 v MTA Maryland MARC 437 that happened in June 2002 but the final report was issued in May 2003.
  by ACeInTheHole

Can we not?
  by justalurker66

bluedash2 wrote:
8th Notch wrote:And what expertise do you have in accident investigation to support that statement?
Name me the last time the Feds didn't take all year to get anything done? Railroads or not. That's the way they are.
That is not the issue. The issue was your claim that the feds knew the answer and simply did not disclose it. Your claim was:
bluedash2 wrote:Because they take way too long to tell us what happened. It's been almost a year since last May's crash and they still haven't told us what they've known for months. It doesn't take that long to figure it out.
Based on decades of NTSB reports, it takes time to KNOW what happened, The NTSB is not an agency that wants to speculate. They want to investigate and present facts and fact based conclusions. When they do not have all of the facts they keep investigating instead of speculating. The NTSB has released a lot of facts related to last May's crash.

When facts are available they are released. And when the NTSB feels that an immediate response is needed to prevent similar incidents they have proven that they are willing to make immediate recommendations. Saying that it takes a year for them to do anything is a false statement. Just like saying that it doesn't take that long to figure out the root problem.

When they know they will let us know. Watch for preliminary reports. Fast and accurate is not always possible ... given a choice, go with accurate. That is the NTSB
  by Jeff Smith

ACeInTheHole wrote:Can we not?
Agreed; let's move on from debating the NTSB's timeliness or lack thereof. Or I will assimilate your posts and consign them to the internet ether.

:wink:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by n2cbo

Greg Moore wrote:
It's not just those 8 seconds. It can be the lifetime afterwards. Despite it so far being pretty clear the engineer did nothing wrong, there's going to be some emotional fallout.
That's very true. I STILL have nightmares about when back in the 70's a brick came sailing through the front windshield of an E-60 when I was in the middle jump seat in the cab. The Engineer had severe brain damage from it. I was lucky to only get a couple of scratches...
  by ACeInTheHole

That^ is terrifying. Im sorry you had to witness that and even sorrier that someone had to be so senselessly hurt while just doing their job.

As for this one, any of the other workers who witnessed this one from the side, as surely there was more than two workers present at the site.. I hope they will get whatever therapy they need to cope with this, as it was no doubt horrifying to watch from the side.
  by scoostraw

JimBoylan wrote:Where did we get the idea that the passengers in the rear passenger car weren't going beyond Washington?
You have it backwards I think.

The rear cars were the Palmetto consist. The cars on the head-end were NYP-WAS cars.
  by MACTRAXX

Everyone:
From Philly.Com 4/7:

Feds: Amtrak failed to follow safety rules in fatal crash
http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/in-t ... crash.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Inquirer: In Transit-Jason Laughlin

MACTRAXX
Last edited by MACTRAXX on Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by Jeff Smith

Sources with knowledge of the crash near Booth Street have said a communications lapse between changing shifts contributed to the crash. Two veteran Amtrak workers in or near a backhoe directly in the path of an oncoming train were killed. Multiple federal and agency rules and regulations are designed to prevent trains from traveling on tracks occupied by workers and their vehicles.
Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/in-t ... Se53bfU.99" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by litz

Yeesh ... if that turns out to be true, terribly tragic.

Rules exist for a reason, and they usually exist for a reason due to tragic prior experience.

And they exist, so, if followed, that tragic prior experience is never repeated.

In this case, if this is true, then this lapse of following the rules,well ... we all see what happened.

New rules, PTC, technology ... none of that would have helped here.

Following the rules, however, would have.
  by ACeInTheHole

If you remember Amtraks famous half a GG1 snowblower thingy... that unit was wrecked when it hit MOW equipment. Im not exactly familiar with the specifics on that particular incident, as information online is sketchy, but I would not be surprised if at least some of Amtraks MOW rules came from that one.
  by Gilbert B Norman

"Safety Rules are written in blood"
  by DutchRailnut

correct for every rule in that rulebook there are a few bodies in ground.

ok as for ACS-64 panickers here is pic of 627 in race street yard. http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=4434018" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by ACeInTheHole

DutchRailnut wrote:correct for every rule in that rulebook there are a few bodies in ground.

ok as for ACS-64 panickers here is pic of 627 in race street yard. http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=4434018" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Interesting. Thanks I guess. Add it to the we will find out what happens to it in due time and lets move on pile.