• Owego & Harford in SAYRE - Lehigh Railway

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by unmotivated

The 1811 (Rocky) is still alive and well. I have noticed on several occasions where 1811 is parked with a cut of cars ready to deliver to Upstate Shredding the next day. If there are other cars setting on the other tracks the 1811 could easily be missed.
  by thannon

Photograpic proof - Friday's return to Owego. No sign of the ex(?)-LRWY unit in yard that I could see.

by unmotivated

Friday (January 7th) was an interesting day for the Owego & Harford. This is the first day that I can recall that the railroad had three crews operating at the same time. Bullwinkle (switcher) was moving empty sand cars from the transload area and replacing them with full hoppers. 1811 was at Upstate Shredding bringing back several cars full of iron for transfer to NS. Then about 5:15 p.m. 2302 crossed State Route 96 with several tank cars and and other assorted flat bed cars in tow. Evidently 2302 made a trip to Harford to pick these cars up to possibly transer to NS as well. I tried to get a picture but it was too dark for my camera to get a focused shot. I hope this continues like this. Its great to see this line busy.
  by pumpers

Where exactly is the new sand transload area in Owego? (Or sites - on the OH Railway web site http://ohry.net, they talk about 2 new sand transload sites in Owego, with plans for each to handle 2000 cars/yr!)
JS
  by Itchman

Transload , is down Delaphine Street(west from station) Behind the Town Of Owego Highway Barns. They want to put up 4 silos to hold sand.
  by unmotivated

The railroad has three small spurs there. One is to an old wearhouse that at one time had an interior unloading platform. The other two spurs were added over the last year. I imagine that the three spurs could hold up to a total of 40 cars give or take a couple. They have been keeping the spurs full of cars and have been storing extra cars on the track ending by Southern Tier Recyclers.
  by pumpers

So you think both sites mentioned on their website will be right there? JS
  by unmotivated

pumpers wrote:So you think both sites mentioned on their website will be right there? JS
All the transload tracks are located in the same place. The transload scales are just to the west of the Town of Owego shop. Just north of the sand tracks is a business that services gas and oil wells in the area. Most of the "new" business will be sand cars that are moved in and out in Owego. I have not heard of any future businesses that would be added north of Owego; however, once New York State allows gas drilling I could see a transload site being developed in the Harford area. The railroad is the only business in the Harford area that would be able to move sand in large quantities.
  by pumpers

thanks, am far away and will probably have to wait a few years for satellite photos to be updated. JS
  by Itchman

Transload is proposing 4 silos ,with future expansion to 24 silos. A new track is to be laid with a conveyor to unload cars directly to silos.
  by thannon

pumpers wrote:thanks, am far away and will probably have to wait a few years for satellite photos to be updated. JS
Or a look back about a year ago:

by unmotivated

The Owego & Harford had a difficult start to their Monday morning. With lows -10 or lower it appears that when engine 2302 was being moved a broken rail on a switch frog almost put 2302 on the ground. Some tense and hard work by the gang kept 2302 on the tracks and work was able to continue.
  by Trainmanal4243

New Unit U23B 2211 will be heading to the Owego Hartford line soon. Unit is ex BDLX 2210 ex P&W 2210 and CSX 3315, L&N 2785.
it is being rebuild at Susquehanna Loco & Car Repair shop in Utica, NY
  by scottychaos

Anyone have the current status on the three GP40's?
looks like two are with the Lehigh Railway currently..3003 and (which other one?)
and what of the third GP40? is she with the Luzerne & Susquehanna now?

Im working on updating my LRWY roster page..
its pretty clear the first three U-boats can be considered actual Lehigh Railway units, 2302, 2304 and 2300..
but the GP40's have arrived lettered LS..
And the U-boat that just moved to Owego was also given LS reporting marks for the move..
I would suspect that the LS reporting marks are used only when the units are moving over other railroads..
but it doesnt necessarily mean the units belong to, or will operate, with the LS itself..
I suspect they are probably just used as reporting marks of the "parent" road..although I could be wrong about that..
(it would guess it just makes things easier to mark everything "LS" when being moved..regardless of which one of the "family lines" the unit is
destined for..and that the LS reporting marks dont necessarily mean the unit is destined for the LS itself..but I dont know if that is true or not..)

But the reporting marks make things confusing, because im not sure if I should list the GP40's as actual LRWY units..
or list them as LS units that happen to be operating on the LRWY..

and the U-boat (2302) was clearly LRWY, it got LS reporting marks to move to Owego, and now its operating with the OHRY!
so I shoud I list it as a LS unit?? I wouldnt think so..it hasnt been anywhere near the LS..I would call it a LRWY unit that is now a OHRY unit.
any suggestions? ;)

http://gold.mylargescale.com/Scottychaos/Owego/
new roster updates coming soon.

thanks,
Scot
  by thannon

scottychaos wrote:Anyone have the current status on the three GP40's?
looks like two are with the Lehigh Railway currently..3003 and (which other one?)
and what of the third GP40? is she with the Luzerne & Susquehanna now?

...But the reporting marks make things confusing, because im not sure if I should list the GP40's as actual LRWY units..
or list them as LS units that happen to be operating on the LRWY...
LS 3001 was recently in Sayre with the 3003. Three U23B's the other day and two GP40's today (only saw the 3003 #).

Scotty - would almost say you would need to group the whole lot under the mother company (roster w/ OHRY, LWRY, LS) or keep it floating and update as it changes.