Forum for the discussion of the Budd Company and Budd-Thyssen through bankruptcy. Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budd_Company

Moderator: John_Perkowski

by eriemike

On the Official Conway Scenic Railroad theard, it was mentioned how neat it would be to see a Budd car(s) go up the Notch. It was also mentioned if the CSR would have been interested in the two Budd cars that the Wilton Scenic had. This got me thinking...

Besides the two ex-Wilton Scenic, ex-BC Budd cars that are now in RI, are there any other operating Budd cars in New England? I know that the Hobo RR was restoring/working on a NH Budd car several days ago. I think it was numbered 41. Did that stay in New England? Are there any that run down in CT?
  by wog820

Cape Cod Railroad had one not to long ago where did that one go? :(

by highrail

Some time ago a couple of those Budd cars made their way to the Seminole Gulf RR in Fort Myers, which I believe was operated by the same owner as Cape Cod. It was quite a feeling to be in Florida and riding an old budd commuter coach that still had the purple T markings. I felt that I was back commuting into Boston in the 1970's. I am not sure about the other units that were at the Cape.

There used to be a budd unit in Palmer, but am not sure if it was operable.

I also spotted a couple budd units in NH north of Groveton along Route 3 a couple years ago. They were located at the rear of a lumber yard, but I was not able to identify owner or markings.

I will have to dig through my old B&M Hist. Society magazines, but there was a great issue where they talked about how the budd units were scheduled to run throughout the sytstem of the B&M and what a challenge it was to make it all happen.

Steve

by eriemike

As of this past February, the Budd car in Palmer is still there. I am not sure if it still runs or not. Of course there are four Budd cars in Lincoln, NH, but they do not operate.

by sery2831

One of the Cape Cods Budd car(6126?) was sold the Belfast and Moosehead. Not sure if they still use it, but it was running when it went up there.

by Noel Weaver

The Danbury Museum has some Budd Cars which operate, the only place
they can run them is in the yard as they have no place where they can
run them on the road without a huge cost, if even then.
Noel Weaver

by GP40MC 1116

Cape Cod Central still has and I believe it does run on occasion # 1001. I'am not sure if it is owned by the CCC or owned privately but I know it is still on the Cape last I checked! This image was from 2007!

http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?photo ... 610915.jpg

by ELSDP45

At the Danbury Railway Museum there are currently seven RDC's of which five operate. The museum owns two: NH 32 (operational) and NH 47 (not operational). The other five are privately owned: NH 41 (operational), B&O 1962 (operational), NH 140 (operational), NH 141 (operational), NH 162 (not operational).

by paulrail

The Buddliner at the Cape Cod Central (PEGX) is a privately owned RDC which is leased to the Railroad. Currently, it only has one engine and has moved up to the Yarmouth wye once and around the yard a few times. :(

It really needs a second engine installed to run in passener service. CCCRR did get another engine but it has several electrical problems and is in storage at this time.

Hopefully, once Cape Rail Inc. gets it's Mass Coastal RR freight train for "energy" transportation to SEMASS up and running after January 1, 2008, they will then consider putting a good engine into the Buddliner and put it in service. I has been seen as a passenger "coach" on the Scenic trains a few times.

As was done by the former Cape Cod Railroad, their Buddliner was leased out for small charters i.e., "ecology" trains and railfan excursions. :wink:

Paul

by BayColony1706

There is also the NH RDC in Fall River, at the Old Colony and Fall River RR Museum

by NRGeep

And there's a Budd car in the yard in Bellows Falls.

by BayColony1706

Interesting note on the Cape Cod Central RDC, PEGX 1001 (ex-B&M 6143)- She was involved in a pretty nasty wreck at the old BET back in the 1970's. The 6143 and 2 other Budds were sitting at North Station, awaiting their Commuter duties, when allegedly someone set them in motion. The tower operator, not wanting 3 run-away Budds to get too far, lined them up for the turntable. The table itself was lined for a different track, and the Budds nosedived into the pit. The first car in the lash-up hit, which caused the second car (6143) to slam into its backside, followed by the third car.
I am not sure of the fate of the other two, but the 1001 still bears dents and dings from that fateful day.

by b&m 1566

BayColony1706 wrote:Interesting note on the Cape Cod Central RDC, PEGX 1001 (ex-B&M 6143)- She was involved in a pretty nasty wreck at the old BET back in the 1970's. The 6143 and 2 other Budds were sitting at North Station, awaiting their Commuter duties, when allegedly someone set them in motion. The tower operator, not wanting 3 run-away Budds to get too far, lined them up for the turntable. The table itself was lined for a different track, and the Budds nosedived into the pit. The first car in the lash-up hit, which caused the second car (6143) to slam into its backside, followed by the third car.
I am not sure of the fate of the other two, but the 1001 still bears dents and dings from that fateful day.
That was quick smart decision making on behalf of the tower operator. That also wouldn't be the first time something similar has happened before. The B&M had a steam engine do a noise dive into the pit before not sure when though.

by lvrr325

Probably should be noted that NH 140-141 and 162 should be what's left of the Roger Williams set, and the 140 and 141 have controls each on one end with an FA-like nose. The 162 was last run in regular service I believe on VRE or MARC as a coach. That would probably be the set to run through the Notch, even though it never did in it's railroad-owned lifetime.

by westriverrr

There are a couple of RDC's sitting in the weeds east of the Bellows Falls station in the Green Mountain RR yard.

Let me guess - and it's only a guess - that these were to be used back when the Green Mountain was talking about connecting Okemo ski area in Ludlow with Amtrak in Rutland - and they were going to run the RDC's as a shuttle