Forum for the discussion of the Budd Company and Budd-Thyssen through bankruptcy. Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budd_Company

Moderator: John_Perkowski

by eriemike

There are still two Budd cars sitting by BET in Charlestown. They are covered with graffitti. I had heard that they were to be used as a crew waiting room during the 2004 Democratic Convention, when it was in Boston, but because they were in such rough shape they weren't.

by boatsmate

The Budd in Fall River has only 1 engine that used to run, when I left the museum back in 03, it was running. I know because I helped get it running. however, the trucks with the gears where facing teh opposite side. the "T" took out one engine and 1 set of trucks, the trucks where the side where the engine was left. There where plans to do a truck swap and make a drive shaft for the trucks and it would then be able to move if we wanted. the contols where all there, as well as the boxes for cab signals. not sure if the equipment for the cab signals remained though.

The Budd used to belong to the "T" and had a fire in it poss while it was stored. itwas used in push pull service with a locomotive at one end. the budd engine was used to power the car for heat and lights.

Capt bill

by consist

I could swear I saw a Budd car with purple T markings at the Tennessee Valley Railroad Museum in Chattanooga this spring. I got there after the place had closed, at sunset, so my view was obstructed, but I'm quite sure of it.
I searched the TVRR site but couldn't find confirmation.

by BayColony1706

Let's also not forget the Budd at Bedford Depot, on that isolated section of track. I believe its of B&M Heritage (6211 or something?).

by Otto Vondrak

Are we talking about OPERATING Budd RDC's, or every RDC we know to exist in New England, operating or not? I think we can all guess that the roster of operating cars is way shorter.

-otto-

by BayColony1706

You're right, Otto... The only operating ones I can think of are the 2 Ex-Wilton cars in Newport, PEGX 1001 (barely), and BML 6126 (stored?), and maybe a few in Connecticut, and a couple privately-owned units at Hobo. That'd put the roster at less than a dozen cars.

by Otto Vondrak

Ah, but the Hobo RR cars... I thought they were demotored RDC coaches, not actually powered units?

So for self-propelled RDC's, it looks like we can add some of Danbury's cars to the short list.

-otto-

by GP40MC 1116

Otto Vondrak wrote:Ah, but the Hobo RR cars... I thought they were demotored RDC coaches, not actually powered units?

So for self-propelled RDC's, it looks like we can add some of Danbury's cars to the short list.

-otto-
Most of the Plymouth and Lincoln Railroads RDC's are non powered correct. I do know of a particular RDC that resides in Lincoln that is privately owned and it may or may not be operating capable but I'll have to check further

by BayColony1706

I thought there were a couple operable ones there at Hobo-- a B&O livered unit and the Ex-CP car that they had re-habbed a couple years ago. Both privately-owned. I could be wrong, however. It has been a while since I last visited Lincoln.