• Official Valley Railroad Thread (VALE)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by daylight4449

H.F.Malone wrote:All of the various Thomas engines are numbered "1". Kind of like the way all Santas have a red suit and white beard. And like Santa, you never see more than one in the same place. There are at least two of the "replica Thomas" standard-gage engines, which have no means of propulsion and are simply pushed by the host railroad's regular motive power. There is ONE "steam Thomas" (standard-gage), and there are at least two narrow-gage "replica Thomas" engines, one 2-foot and one or two 3-foot. ALL of the Thomas engines were built by Strasburg and are maintained by them.

For many years, VRR used the "steam Thomas", built by Strasburg from a BEDT 0-6-0T locomotive. The real steam Thomas is much heavier than the "replica Thomas", so it is much more costly to transport and operate. VRR switched to the "replica Thomas" last year. That move puts more revenue in VRR's pocket. There is a five-figure cost attached to the "steam Thomas".

The Thomas engine that was used at NAUG was always the "replica Thomas". The NAUG people apparently felt that "the kids don't know the difference". VRR seems to have adopted that idea as well.

Flagg Coal 75 is a real steam locomotive, buring real coal and painted black like a real steam locomotive should be.
Well, the thomas replicas save the money of importing an LMS 3F "Jinty". To bad I'm busy this weekend. I'd love to see the 75
  by CannaScrews

To bad I'm busy this weekend. I'd love to see the 75
YO! I'll get you to #75!

Pick your day - Saturday or Sunday!

Or If you wish - I can probably be around when #75 leaves the property.
Last edited by CannaScrews on Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by CannaScrews

CannaScrews wrote:
YO! I'll get you to #75!

YO!

Read the above carefully!

Heh! Heh!
  by daylight4449

CannaScrews wrote:
YO! I'll get you to #75!

That's not the problem. I'm tied up with a personal event saturday, and i'm hoping to go out to East Brookfield again sunday. Chances are you'll see me on the Naugy some time at the end of August. Maybe I'll see you there. Then again, I'll run into some people at the Circus Train on the Valley Railroad. I'll be the guy standing in awe of the 3025.
  by Cosmo

daylight4449 wrote:
CannaScrews wrote:
YO! I'll get you to #75!

That's not the problem. I'm tied up with a personal event saturday, and i'm hoping to go out to East Brookfield again sunday. Chances are you'll see me on the Naugy some time at the end of August. Maybe I'll see you there. Then again, I'll run into some people at the Circus Train on the Valley Railroad. I'll be the guy standing in awe of the 3025.
You DO realize, don't you, that there's no guarantee that 3025 will be operating by then? It's still coming together. While the mosst major of the boiler work is 100% done, there is still much yet to do...
  by daylight4449

Cosmo, I'll maintain hope that she's done by then. If she isn't, I'll visit sometime after 3025 enters service.
  by Otto Vondrak

daylight4449 wrote:Cosmo, I'll maintain hope that she's done by then. If she isn't, I'll visit sometime after 3025 enters service.
Man, were your ears burning today? Lots of folks were talking about you today (none of it was good).

Can we please get back to the Valley Railroad discussion?
  by Reader#108

I was peeking my head into the shed today and a gentleman came out. I asked him if the VRR was getting ready to repaint the car that was inside. He said, that they were going to wax it. I then asked about 3025, he said "come on in".....I walked down and had a 20 minute or so conversation and view of 3025. He explained everything to me and how the re-assembly was going to work.....it looked great! When I gave him my name and stuck out my hand, I was floored when he said "Dave Conrad" It was such a distinct pleasure to meet him, and he had no problem taking time to explain everything and show some things that I had never seen before! I learned alot of stuff in that 20 or so minutes. It was nice to be educated on things that I didn't know from someone who for sure knows! And what got me the most, is that he appears to be extremely hands on! VERY impressed.....
  by ebtmikado

A view of No. 40, switching in the South Yard in Essex, Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Enjoy,
Lee
  by daylight4449

Man, that's a good picture! Looked like a painting when I first looked at it.
  by superwarp1

Ok, half way through the month. What's the scoop on 3025?
  by Cosmo

The cab is almost finished, mostly needs paint on the outside.
The drivers are painted and ready to go back on, just need to get the jacks put back together so we can lift the boiler/frame up to get them under her.