• Official Rahway Valley Thread

• Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.
Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, cjl330, mikec

by CNJFAN

Sounds like we are nearing the home stretch Baran.

by cjl330

The track between Market St. and Faitoute Ave. in Kenilworth has been cleared of all brush, debris and vehicles. The track gang will begin removing the old rails and ties next week. They are going to resurface the right of way, and then they will put in all new ties and rails.

by rvrrhs

cjl330 wrote:The track between Market St. and Faitoute Ave. in Kenilworth has been cleared of all brush, debris and vehicles. The track gang will begin removing the old rails and ties next week. They are going to resurface the right of way, and then they will put in all new ties and rails.
Are you sure, cjl330? I was just through there last night, and all the vehicles and fences were still in place between Market St. and Faitoute. Same with the first 100 yards or so beyond Market St. heading towards the A&P.

by mikec

The big shovel was digging out the tracks on the eastern side of Mich. Ave this morning.

by cjl330

The trucks from the oil co. are still parked between Michigan Ave. and Faitoute Ave. The track between Michigan Ave. and Market St. has been cleared. The fence you see on Market St. is the one for Josephs Trucking. The gate is still there, but there is now brand new track right on the other side of it. According to the track gang, all of the businesses in the area have been very cooperative.

by AndyB

Going off topic for a history lesson.

Kenilworth was once served by a 1 3/4 mile trolley line.
Starting at Westfield Ave. North on Valley Rd. (Grand St.) to Beachwood Ave. to Colfax St to Maplewood Ave. to P.R.W. crossing Faitoute Ave. to Michigan Ave. then crossing R.V.R.R. to Kenilworth Blvd. (New Orange Blvd.) to 20th. St.
Operated 1907 till 1924 when replace by bus

The P.R.W. can still be found between Maplewood and Faitoute, look for it between the houses accross Faitoute from the gas station where Michigan Ave. begins.

by RVRR Resurrected

njt4172 wrote:RVRR Resurrected,

Nice Avitar!!! I want something similar to that!!! :-D

Steve
lol its from the band "the darkness's" new album..one way ticket

by RVRR Resurrected

i like the darkness even though those other bands we're before my time lol
rvrrhs wrote:
njt4172 wrote:
rvrrhs wrote:

Steve
I must agree, that's a great avatar.

Off-topic, I didn't know The Darkness had a new album on the way. Fans of 70s/80s hard rock (Queen, AC/DC, Def Leppard, etc.) will really like The Darkness. Their first album from a couple of years ago was awesome!

Don't forget that more 1970's hard rock bands include Black Sabbath, Led Zepplin and Pink Floyd.... My favorite being the Floyd....

Steve
I meant specifically those particular bands that The Darkness pays tribute to. Personally, I like Floyd best myself.

by rvrrhs

Maybe before your time, but timeless...
RVRR Resurrected wrote:i like the darkness even though those other bands we're before my time lol
rvrrhs wrote:
njt4172 wrote:
rvrrhs wrote:

Steve
I must agree, that's a great avatar.

Off-topic, I didn't know The Darkness had a new album on the way. Fans of 70s/80s hard rock (Queen, AC/DC, Def Leppard, etc.) will really like The Darkness. Their first album from a couple of years ago was awesome!

Don't forget that more 1970's hard rock bands include Black Sabbath, Led Zepplin and Pink Floyd.... My favorite being the Floyd....

Steve
I meant specifically those particular bands that The Darkness pays tribute to. Personally, I like Floyd best myself.

by mikec

Andy what is P.R.W. ? I have a blueprint, I got a while back of this trolly on ebay but the print ended on Valley at west webster ave. Someone told me there is a model of this at Alarie State Park. I would like to know more detail about this line. Is the 59 bus the replacement? etc..

by kilroy

PRW = Private Right-of-Way

by rvrrhs

AndyB wrote:Going off topic for a history lesson.

Kenilworth was once served by a 1 3/4 mile trolley line.
Starting at Westfield Ave. North on Valley Rd. (Grand St.) to Beachwood Ave. to Colfax St to Maplewood Ave. to P.R.W. crossing Faitoute Ave. to Michigan Ave. then crossing R.V.R.R. to Kenilworth Blvd. (New Orange Blvd.) to 20th. St.
Operated 1907 till 1924 when replace by bus

The P.R.W. can still be found between Maplewood and Faitoute, look for it between the houses accross Faitoute from the gas station where Michigan Ave. begins.
Do you have a scanned image of a map of this somewhere?

by AndyB

Sorry about that, I usually write everything out as I realize some of us are here to learn, as am I.

P.R.W. = Private Right of Way
Most trolley cars in this area of Jersey ran in the street but ocassionally they ran alongside the road or through a field on a right of way they owned or leased which would seperate from all other traffic. The Private Right of Way.

At the north end (dead end) of Maplewood the trolley turned right towards Faitoute went onto the private right of way.

by mikec

There is a small wooded area that is on the right just before the guardrail at the end of Maplewood. Is this what are refering to.