• Official Rahway Valley Thread

• Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.
Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, cjl330, mikec

by CNJFAN

It was in the Star Ledger numerous times over the last 3 years and the M&E does have an " Understanding " with NJ Transit to run their freights on the RVL ( CNJ ) to Bound Brook.
The one thing still pending, last I read was that the M&E still didn't make an agreement for interchanging with either CSX or NS.
I read that this past July.
I don't know if that is still the case today.
Actually, I would like an update if anyone has one.

by RVRR Resurrected

CJPat wrote:
Other then the NEC overpass in Elizabeth, where were the next hight restrictions on the RVL?

I think that would be it except for maybe a bridge or two down the line. But the NEC bridge in Eliz would be a giant bottleneck because its pretty much the gateway to the port.

I was looking at those tracks yesterday. Everything is overgrown. I have no idea how it got so bad...That would be a job in itself to clean up that to the port.

by BigDell

I was looking at those tracks yesterday. Everything is overgrown. I have no idea how it got so bad...That would be a job in itself to clean up that to the port
Its shocking, actually. Looks like the jungles in Jurassic Park - the section near Broad St. Elizabeth.... wow.
But if there was a need to restore service it wouldn't be too bad to clear. They can clear a forest in Middlesex county in less than a day for housing developments - I'm sure the CNJ ROW would be a breeze. That seems to be the "Impossible Dream/Holy Grail" for most of us - the resumption of service on that main to E'port.

On the other side of the mainline, RVL, I can't imagine it'd be that tough to coordinate with NJT. They don't have THAT many trains on the RVL outside of rush hour. Its fairly regular... and the M&E trains wouldn't be huge. It'd be nice to see them restore a track 4 to the RVL, though, wouldn't it?
BigDell

by CJPat

It's been almost 2 weeks since the last posting. Anyone with new updates (other than all the rain or the steel plate theft)?

by CNJFAN

Probably not too much has happened to the last 2 weeks.

by Sir Ray

CNJFAN wrote:Probably not too much has happened to the last 2 weeks.
I agree, I was in the area last Sunday, and the scene was as described on 7 Oct 2005 (area along Supermarket to GSP w/ new ties - no ballast that I saw), and no action in the Faitoute Ave intersection.

by cjl330

I checked out the Rahway Valley today. The track gang has completely redone the curve that runs from the switch at RP junction to Market St. in Kenilworth. The old rail and ties have been removed, and new rail and ties have been put down. All of the trailers and almost all of the other stuff that was on the line between Market St. and Faitoute Ave. has been removed, and brush cutting has started.

by njt4172

cjl330 wrote:I checked out the Rahway Valley today. The track gang has completely redone the curve that runs from the switch at RP junction to Market St. in Kenilworth. The old rail and ties have been removed, and new rail and ties have been put down. All of the trailers and almost all of the other stuff that was on the line between Market St. and Faitoute Ave. has been removed, and brush cutting has started.
I heard now that M&E has no obstructions to restore the line to Summit! Hopefully now they have the green light and can start relaying rails the whole way next summer!

Steve

by CNJFAN

Anyone know anything new about the SIRR?
Last July when they ran the test train into Cranford yard, it was stated in the Star Ledger that it was supposed to be up and running by November 2005 and we are almost there so I was just wondering if anyone knows if November is still the start time?

by njt4172

RVRR Resurrected,

Nice Avitar!!! I want something similar to that!!! :-D

Steve

by Ken W2KB

CNJFAN wrote:Anyone know anything new about the SIRR?
Last July when they ran the test train into Cranford yard, it was stated in the Star Ledger that it was supposed to be up and running by November 2005 and we are almost there so I was just wondering if anyone knows if November is still the start time?
\
Squinting into the sun this morning from the RVL train it appeared that both tracks to the east, as well as the single track 'yard' had rolling stock on it. Couldn't tell if it was just more stored hoppers, or other stuff.

In the former yard at Aldene there are a lot of what appears to be new structure members of some sort. Yesterday morning a front end loader was loading ballast into a dump truck, presumably continuing efforts to the north.

by rvrrhs

njt4172 wrote:RVRR Resurrected,

Steve
I must agree, that's a great avatar.

Off-topic, I didn't know The Darkness had a new album on the way. Fans of 70s/80s hard rock (Queen, AC/DC, Def Leppard, etc.) will really like The Darkness. Their first album from a couple of years ago was awesome!

by njt4172

rvrrhs wrote:

Steve

Off-topic, I didn't know The Darkness had a new album on the way. Fans of 70s/80s hard rock (Queen, AC/DC, Def Leppard, etc.) will really like The Darkness. Their first album from a couple of years ago was awesome!

Don't forget that more 1970's hard rock bands include Black Sabbath, Led Zepplin and Pink Floyd.... My favorite being the Floyd....

Steve

by rvrrhs

njt4172 wrote:
rvrrhs wrote:

Steve

Don't forget that more 1970's hard rock bands include Black Sabbath, Led Zepplin and Pink Floyd.... My favorite being the Floyd....

Steve
I meant specifically those particular bands that The Darkness pays tribute to. Personally, I like Floyd best myself.

by TheBaran

Drove over the Goethals Bridge this afternoon (Nov 1), got a glimpse of the AK lift bridge. The fabric wrapping has been removed from the west tower and the center span (scaffolding still up on the west tower); east tower still wrapped. Looks like new ties were placed on the center span track. Also, new paint is a dark blue (looks a lot like B&O Royal Blue).