• Official Naugatuck Railroad thread (NAUG/RMNE)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by CVRA7

Well, it's all over for the 2008 operating season. Engine NH 529 has been taken out of service and prepared for winter storage (cooling system drained, filled with antifreeze then drained again so that a small amount of antifreeze remains in a few areas that won't drain well). 2203 is inside, as is both the 25 and 45 ton GEs. Coach 5805's overhaul continues, with the rebuilding of the inner bulkhead of the south vestibule done, and outer south vestibule bulkhead is now well along. The privately owned B&O business car 907's truck overhaul is progressing near Nashua NH.
The Motor Vehicle Dept. has placed the rebuilt Cummins diesel in one of the front end loaders, and hydraulic maintenance work is now underway on the Dynahoe excavator. These vehicles are important over the winter in snow fighting duties so the volunteers can get to the shop area.
  by Otto Vondrak

This will be the first winter to enjoy the shelter of Thomaston Shop... which will make it easier for some jobs to continue through the cold weather. Of course, some limited outdoor activities will continue... check the blog for progress and updates.
  by H.F.Malone

Well, while we will all be enjoying the interior warmth and "shelter from the storm" that the TSY building provides, it won't be the first winter inside; in 2007, we were working inside, finishing the floor and track, and working on power and building infrastructure projects (which still are continuing). During the 2007-08 winter, we managed to get some rolling stock work moved along (namely coach 5805 and flatcar NH 17504), and continued on building work (which slows down during the operating season).

Having that building is a wonderful thing for our volunteers, and it resulted in increased morale and increased productivity right from the beginning. ALL the people who made that shop building happen can't be thanked enough....

And, yes, there will be some work trains this winter-- some brush & tree cutting really needs to be done in some spots.

HFM

MP 6, NAUG
  by Otto Vondrak

This thread is for the discussion of news and events related to the activities and operation of the Railroad Museum of New England and its operating subsidiary the Naugatuck Railroad.

http://www.rmne.org

http://naugy.blogspot.com
  by atsf sp

To respond to the question of the 103 in the old Valley Railroad discussion at the Valley Railroad being Reader railroad 108, the answer is no. The 103 at the Valley is owned by the RMNE and was Sumpter & Choctaw 103. The Reader 108 was at North Conway at the Conway Scenic for many years and was moved back to Texas.
Last edited by atsf sp on Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
  by H.F.Malone

The Reader engine at Conway was number 108. It has piston valves and is about 15 tons heavier than S&C 103. I think 108 is also superheated, and it is a more powerful locomotive than RMNE/VRR/ESRM/M&NJ/S&C 103.

That's "Sumter & Choctaw" by the way. The S&C was located about 90 miles away from the Birmingham & South Eastern, where 2-8-0 #97 (B&SE #200) spent its operating life from 1926 until 1960. So, 103 and 97 were less than 100 miles apart for decades before coming together in Connecticut in 1971.

HFM
  by craven

I visited the Naugatuck RR this past fall and enjoyed the trip pulled by ex. P&W power.
Before arriving, and heading south of Hartford on either Rt. 84 or 8, I noticed an abandoned freight yard with station and clock tower.
Does the Naugatuck line connect with this yard and if so has the Naugatuck RR ever offered an extended trip to or beyond this yard? The conductor mentioned that on occasion, the train does continue past the Dam on special trips.
Also, is the Naugatuck RR primarly a scenic excursion Railroad/Museum or does it operate freight service ??

OBTW, I am a proud owner of a Green Naugy T shirt.
  by Stag Hound

Let us begin with the clock tower. The clock tower is part of the old New York, New Haven, and Hartford station and is currently home to a local newspaper company (Republican-American). The station and tower in particular was inspired by an Italian design and has become an icon of the area. Metro-North runs shuttles from Waterbury to Bridgeport but does not utilize the station but rather a high level platform. The yard isn't entirely abadoned as it sees an occasional Pan Am (Guilford) freight. I'm sure the older and wiser (not necessarily better looking:) members of this forum can fill in the details.

On rare occassions (i.e. Naugatuck Flyer, Thomas the Tank Engine, etc) the NRR has run as far as Waterbury station (and beyond during the 1996 operation season) but not regularly. Rest assured, you are not missing any gorgeous scenery from Highland Junction to the station, unless of course you are a graffiti artist and are looking to be inspired. Now, where did I put my cat food?

Signed,
Stag Hound from MP BK

P.S. If you like your green Naugy shirt, you should spend a few weekends volunteering for us. Such a commitment would entitle you to other coveted NRR apparel. I wear mine to the gym and the women instinctively flock to me like the swallows of Capistrano!
  by CVRA7

Can't add anything to Mr. Hound's excellent account.
Also, if I was single I would have to purchase on one those t shirts !
  by Otto Vondrak

craven wrote: noticed an abandoned freight yard with station and clock tower. Does the Naugatuck line connect with this yard
Yes. I photographed one of those seldom seen freights operated by Pan Am Railways (formerly Guilford)...

And Metro-North provides regular service from Waterbury.

has the Naugatuck RR ever offered an extended trip to or beyond this yard?
Yes, they have run special trips to Waterbury to connect with Metro-North excursions.
Also, is the Naugatuck RR primarly a scenic excursion Railroad/Museum or does it operate freight service??
The Naugatuck Railroad is part of the national railroad network and has handled freight shipments in the past.
  by CannaScrews

Stag Hound wrote: I'm sure the older and wiser (not necessarily better looking:) members of this forum can fill in the details.

P.S. If you like your green Naugy shirt, you should spend a few weekends volunteering for us. Such a commitment would entitle you to other coveted NRR apparel. I wear mine to the gym and the women instinctively flock to me like the swallows of Capistrano!
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If that is the case, the beholder is quite narcissistic!

As far as the PS, if you wear ONLY your t-shirt to the gym and get the flock of swallows, I wonder what the orange "Track Team" NRR t-shirt will do. Being happily married, I don't think I want to try.... Besides, do I have to get a bikini wax, or tatoo?

The Naugy does have occasional freight BTW.

by tsrachaser

CannaScrews wrote:
Stag Hound wrote: I'm sure the older and wiser (not necessarily better looking:) members of this forum can fill in the details.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If that is the case, the beholder is quite narcissistic!

As far as the PS, if you wear ONLY your t-shirt to the gym and get the flock of swallows, I wonder what the orange "Track Team" NRR t-shirt will do. Being happily married, I don't think I want to try.... Besides, do I have to get a bikini wax, or tatoo?
Stag hound narcissistic? Say it ain't so.
  by thebigham

I just saw Revolutionary Road with Kate Winslet and Leonardi Di Caprio. They say thanks to the RMNE in the credits.
  by Stag Hound

I thought this thread needed a steroid boost. Some questions I have which I would normally ask in person but thought it might benefit others.

#1 What color was used on the #42 45 tonner side-rod?

#2 What color green is used on Naugatuck RR coaches?

#3 What type of lettering is used on "said" coaches?