• Official Conway Scenic Railroad Thread (CSRR)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by NHN503

Re: Redstone East brush

FWIR Redstone east was to be cleared only for the passage of trackcars and not fullsize trains. Some of the CVRTC members cleared this trackage to allow the 60+ speeders to go from the ME/NH state line up the mountain div for the NE Rail Car Assoc. trip in Aug.

by CSRR573

Railfans weekend The Saturday Trip went farther south on the redstone branch then ever before ,so maybe next year the tracks will be cleared farther so we can go farther. Also on Redstone there is a siding I never Knew was there before that saturday! So if next year we go farther i see more stuff i never knew was there.

by greenus90

The 2820 lost an air compressor so I am told, a few weeks before Railfan's weekend; it was at this time that they used 7470 to switch it to the backtrack behind the ash pit in the roundhouse..

http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?photo ... key=rustie

If the loco is not loading up (getting power to the traction motors) that could be a problem. I read somewhere that this locomotive (former L&N 2820) was upgraded to B23-7 specs by the L&N- hopefully that will make the troubleshooting easier.

I have to wonder if they are now kicking themselves for not getting a GP7 or a GP9 instead? That's another thing- does the Locomotive 15 group own the 2 GE's, like they own the 573, 6516 and 6505?

by b&m 1566

Ian MacMillan Thank you for clearing that up for me! I was under the impression that they were clearing the tracks to the point a regular train could travel down the tracks.

CSRR573 Conway Scenic stops there train about a quarter of a mile (at best) passed the old Redstone rail yard which is where that siding that you can see today is located. There use to be a turn table there and stuff. You can see pictures of the 2820 sitting at the end of the line in Redstone at the edge of a road on NErial taken in June when the MBRRE ran there special. Just on the other side of the road the track is to over grown for a train to pass but as pointed out it was cleared up enough later in the summer to get the speeders through. CS will never run regular service down to Red Stone or even beyond because there’s not much to see. Supposedly there’s suppose to be a shuttle train in the near future going from N. Conway to Fryburg, ME for the Fryburg Fair and a couple of other occasions but every time I’m at the CS I forget to ask them that question.

greenus90 From the attitude I got when I asked some of the employees what was wrong with the 2820 I would have to say they are kicking themselves. For the amount of revenue service it has been in, it has tripled that in repair costs. As far as the Locomotive 15 Group goes, I have no idea if they own the 2820 or if the Conway Scenic owns it. If I had to put money on it I would say the Locomotive 15 Group owns it.
BTW the employees have nicked name the 2820 THE BEAST!!!

by superwarp1

Well everyone. Had a great time on the Notch train Saturday. Couldn't ask for a more perfect day. Not a cloud in the sky. I rod first class which was fine. My only complaint would be the dew inbetween the two panes of glass making it hard to see out, half the windows were this way. Spent most of the trip in the open car anyway.

Here's a link to the video of 7470 while waiting for the Notch train and a pic of the 2820 inside the round house.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOeBeoXkko4

I'll post more pics when I have time. I have over a 100 :-D

by superwarp1

Another pic. I won't kill the bandwidth with all my pics so I'll link to my album.

Let me know if this works or not.
Last edited by superwarp1 on Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by CSRR573

About the 7470. Does anyone know if the 7470 will be running in the winter because my next visit to N.Conway will be in december and I was hopeing to see some steam in the winter.

by superwarp1

Question,

Are the other diesels in the Yard operational like this B&M?

by CSRR573

No prime mover

by superwarp1

What about the other B&M on the turntable siding?

by GP40MC 1116

superwarp1 wrote:What about the other B&M on the turntable siding?
Boston & Maine 4268 is not opperational is you can see above
Boston & Maine 4266 is opperational and used on a ocasional basis

by superwarp1

Thanks guys

Any other engines I missed?

by b&m 1566

So how did the 470 Club trip turn out. I heard that it was snowing up in the Notch during the trip. Also saw pictures of it in Nerail. Did the train end its trip at Crawford’s this year? I know the train was suppose to go all the way to Hazen’s but there's pictures on Nerail with the 573 and the 4266 running around at Crawford’s instead of Fabyans. I also noticed that the 6505 or 6515 couldn’t tell by the picture was in the mix because the 4266 died out halfway. So what happened?

by Dick H

470 trip turned at Crawfords. There were some problems with the 573 and it became necessary to send one of the FP9s to act as pusher through Crawford notch.

On Sunday, the CSRR ran "Pumpkin Patch" trains to Bartlett (1130) and Glen (130). Equipment was an FP9 on each end, the parlor car, cafe car and four coaches. Patronage appeared to be very good for late in the season. The 4266 was parked off one of the turntable leads and was idling away just in case it was needed. Apparently the 7470, 2820, 1055 and 573 were tucked away in the engine house.

Dick

by b&m 1566

Oh so it was the 573 that was dead; what happened? Was that the reason they only went to Crawford's? With the 4266 pulling 6 cars on the inaugural run through the notch; why was one of the FP9's used to help push this past weekends consist up the notch? I would find it hard to believe any of the CS engine would have a hard time pulling a 5 to 7 car set up the notch, except maybe the 1055 and 15. I always though they had two units for visibility purposes. It’s hard for the crew to see a head of them with an F unit running in reverse. In the first year the only unit running on the notch train was the FP9 6516 with the 6505 being used as a cab unit; reason being was because the traction motors were still not working when it was brought into service.
The 2820, from what I gathered when I was up there at the end of September it had a major electrical problem and would probably not run the rest of the season because it could take a while to get fixed. Again that's what the outlook was then, I'm not sure if that still is true.