• Official Conway Scenic Railroad Thread (CSRR) -2009

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by shadyjay

All of what I've been reading in these posts is debate about traction, sanders, leaves, and such. Big deal - so there were 3 units on a 5-car passenger train.

Can we get back to discussion of the CSRR?

(sorry - don't mean to be an armchair moderator, but these past few posts seem better placed in a Rail Technology thread/forum or something).

How bout some photos from the 470 trip? Any news on the 7470?
  by b&m 1566

trainut2008 wrote:http://www.epa.gov/EPA-IMPACT/2007/Marc ... /i3885.htm

Yes B&M 1566 I do work for the railroad, have no doubts about it. I also stand by all my statements made thus far. I'm also in complete agreement with the discussions, rules, regulations etc, set forth by the FRA regarding sanders on locomotives. Please, all those interested in this topic should enjoy clicking on this link that I have included above and broaden your knowledge about sanders. I firmly believe that by not adhering to those FRA rules and guidelines regarding sanding equipment that when they don't work properly for whatever reason that we have no one but ourselves to blame for a stalled train. Also, one other thing, it would take several pages to go into every detail of what the FRA found wrong here during a not to long ago inspection. This is as far as I desire to go regarding this area.
I'm not doubting you; it just seems to me that every so often we have new members that pop-up rather quickly when certain topics arise and some only post a few times and never come back. It leaves me to believe that some people may have more than one screen name pretending to be another person trying to help their point along.
I can respect your decision not to talk about the FRA inspection on the railroad, as that is information they probably want to keep locked up. With that said, you never helped explained why the railroad doesn't maintain the sanders to FRA standards. Is the Conway Scenic going to fix this issue or is it not a mandatory fix? From the sounds of it, you’re making it seem like the Conway Scenic is choosing to ignore the regulation or at the very least; stating that the railroad hasn't been keeping up with new and changing regulations.
  by Otto Vondrak

Meyblc wrote: On occasion, Otto likes to single people for public embarrassment and humiliation. There are a few of us here who have been on the receiving end of Otto's "words of wisdom."
If you say something embarrassing or humiliating, I could see how someone could feel that way!
It's Otto's web site so I guess he can do what he wishes.
It's Mike Roque's web site, too. Please don't give me all the credit. I'm taller, so people tend to notice me first!
2 general warnings for you. Do not ever mention Hobo's or the MEC 501 on this web site and you should be ok.
Those are actually very good pieces of advice, thank you Mr. Yeager. We appreciate your support!

If you have general questions about railroad operations and equipment function, we have an excellent forum for general railroading questions:

http://railroad.net/forums/viewforum.php?f=136

If you have questions about the operation of this site, please contact me off-list. Let's get back to the Conway Scenic. Please.

-otto-
  by Noel Weaver

trainut2008 wrote:I don't mean to wreck your day Noel but if you click on that link to that FRA Sander page and scroll down you'll see that it's right here on page #9907 Section B. Braking Distance They've conducted tests on this very question as to whether the application of sand helps or not and this is the official position of the FRA report. I know you have had years of experience with The New Haven and Conrail. there have also been lots of studies about this and what you have stated flies in the face of the FRA summary of the same thing. Again, perhaps everyone who wants to say well this or that worked for me should click on the link and read it. I'm not pointing the finger at anyone here, just stating the facts as described in this FRA document. Pg. # 9907 Section B. Braking Distance... (snip snip).
I don't care about any reports from anybody. I have had the experience and I know what happens in the fall with wet rails
and leaves. You still haven't told us how much experience you have had running commuter trains with MU equipment on
main line rails? I am waiting for your answer.
On second thought, I have too much else to do to be bothered with this stuff any longer.
Noel Weaver
  by Otto Vondrak

I know you both have a lot of experience in your respective fields, but I think we've wandered away from the discussion of Conway Scenic.
  by p42thedowneaster

I'm rather baffled by the layout of the train...Why do you suppose they moved Gertrude Emma to the east end? Nice to see that Budd car out and about!
  by eman577

The parlor car is turned and moved to the opposite end of the train when the train starts
,aking a stop at the Cider Mill. Th leaves the dining car the western most car, and other
passengers don't have to walk through while people are eating lunch, to get off the train.
There is only one set of doors used at the Cider Mill so people have to walk to the middle
of the train to get out. This configuration avoids high traffic through the dining car where
waitresses are serving lunch.
  by p42thedowneaster

That makes sense!

I really like the PRR Limited paint scheme on Gertrude and Chocorua...I don't think there are any other railroads operating equipment in that scheme. It would be great to have the whole train match (with a nice keystone-equipped steam engine pulling)!
  by eman577

#7470 did, indeed, make an appearance Sunday. Ran both Pumpkin Patch trains; one to Bartlett and one to the Cider Mill.
Things went well, and now she is ready for Polar Express and Steam in the Snow.