• Official Black River Railroad Historic Trust Thread

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by OCtrainguy

PVRX1 wrote:112 ran this past weekend.

October will see a mix of BRW 60, BDRV 8142, LVRX 112. Most trains will have 60 on the south end and a diesel on the north end. Freight will run Sunday mornings ahead of the 1115am passenger deadhead move to Flemington, with 1202.

Two units makes things a bit easier on FRA regs regarding shoving over public crossings (stop and flag) with crossing protection.
Today's consist was the LVRX 112 on the north end and BRW 60 on the south end. Was great to ride today with the steam engine and I got my first photos of the Lehigh Valley engine being run. The trains were pretty crowded today.
  by OCtrainguy

Here are a few videos from the photo freight on September 1st:

1. Photo runby over the Raritan River: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xN0gb4ONjrU
2. Photo runby in Three Bridges once the train is ready to depart for Ringoes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgZuJxTyQNc
3. BR&W 60 shifting cars around in Three Bridges: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMoYUchGRZ0

Enjoy!
  by wolfboy8171981

For some time now the BR&W has been keeping SW1200 #1202 at Three Bridges. They make a roundtrip on Wednesday and Sat or Sun. The NS interchanges on Mon, Wed and Fri.
  by PVRX1

1202 is being kept at Three Bridges like Vince said. Its in Ringoes this week for new batteries, so Saturday will be a one way trip Ring to TB.

We run TB to Ring and return Wednesdays and Saturdays (sometimes Sundays), on duty 0800.

NS usually arrives between 11 and 12, Mon Wed Fri. We usually depart around the same time.
  by CNJ Fan 4evr

Thanks for the info. You just might see me there on one of the next few Wednesdays (weather permitting). I want to update my video footage. What I have is from 1998 and it was the 780, 1849 back then. I also want to catch the NS job coming in and dropping off/picking up.
  by RailsEast

Wolf is right; as the American Express commercials once said, "membership has its privileges". People need to get directly involved if they 'don't understand' or 'have a problem' with current operations. Being 'hands-on, on the front line' is monumentally more satisfying to a passionate railfan than sitting at home waiting for a month-old report from trackside about what is being planned, or what has already been done. The Black River System is not one to rest on their laurels; they are a forward-thinking organization always looking to expand and improve.
And, unlike in the wild, here you can trust a Wolf.......
Chris
  by PVRX1

There is a plan that has been under development since before the 2014 board change. It will most likely happen in stages as time, funds, etc. become available. I would trust that the current BRRHT board will wisely spend the funds on maintaining, improving, and image of the core operation before dumping copious sums into Lambertville's rehabilitation. By that I mean walk don't run into it. We still have a lot to do on the original operation.

As far as the comment being made - "but if they haven't done much, then I have a problem" - I have two responses (1) your membership, assistance, and monetary donations are welcome; and (2) If you are not familiar with how and what it takes to make a railroad function - come on board and get some experience.
  by R36 Combine Coach

Regarding the Mixed Freight, it was scheduled for 4/26, but has been postponed to a future date TBA later in the year. Any updates?
  by Ken W2KB

R36 Combine Coach wrote:Regarding the Mixed Freight, it was scheduled for 4/26, but has been postponed to a future date TBA later in the year. Any updates?
I just checked the on-line crew roster for you, not listed there so date may not have been set as yet.
  by MShea

PVRX1 wrote:There is a plan that has been under development since before the 2014 board change. It will most likely happen in stages as time, funds, etc. become available. I would trust that the current BRRHT board will wisely spend the funds on maintaining, improving, and image of the core operation before dumping copious sums into Lambertville's rehabilitation. By that I mean walk don't run into it. We still have a lot to do on the original operation.

As far as the comment being made - "but if they haven't done much, then I have a problem" - I have two responses (1) your membership, assistance, and monetary donations are welcome; and (2) If you are not familiar with how and what it takes to make a railroad function - come on board and get some experience.
The BRRHT has been slowly but surely improving the passenger operation on BR&W and increasing passenger counts for each of the past several years. This success has come as a result of the hard work of all our volunteers and leaders, both past and present. As the passenger business has grown, we have always continued to look for ways to continue that growth and fulfill our mission of preserving railroad history and educating the public. The line to Lambertville, formally known on BR&W as the "Alexauken Division", offers many opportunities to BR&W and the surrounding communities. However, as PVRX1 points out, any operation there would require significant investments of effort and capital. Expect any potential plans for the Alexauken Division to be slow, gradual, and very carefully calculated. One of the best ways to make such an operation possible is to come out and volunteer on the existing BR&W operation. The more people we have on board, the easier it is to move forward with new endeavors!

One thing is for certain, the Alexauken Division is incredibly picturesque, and is a great glimpse of what small-town New Jersey railroading used to be!
lookingNorth.jpg
  by MShea

Great news, BR&W fans! Steam locomotive #60 passed her annual FRA hydro-test last Friday. She should be ready for her scheduled return to service this Memorial Day weekend!
  by RailsEast

Fantastic news, Mike; hopefully Mother Nature will cooperate. Kudos to the steam team in Ringoes!

Chris
  by R36 Combine Coach

Ken W2KB wrote:
R36 Combine Coach wrote:Regarding the Mixed Freight, it was scheduled for 4/26, but has been postponed to a future date TBA later in the year. Any updates?
I just checked the crew roster for you, not listed there so date may not have been set as yet.
Mixed Freight has often been on Saturdays, but in some years on Sunday. Is this year the case?
  by PVRX1

Keep in mind that the Black River & Western / Belvidere & Delaware RRs are the freight companies, both part of the Black River Railroad System.

The two excursion operators, the Black River Railroad Historical Trust and the Delaware River Excursions / New York Susquehanna & Western Technical & Historical Society are responsible for and the ones that are working toward opening their respective <operating leased> lines to Lambertville and to Reiglesville and Milford as time, funds, manpower, and such permit. It all takes time, and money, membership manpower, etc.