• Official Black River Railroad Historic Trust Thread

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by michaelk

R36 Combine Coach wrote:When exactly did Bemis vacate the Flemington facility and why? (downsizing, low volume, relocation...)
http://www.nj.com/hunterdon-county-demo ... plant.html
The closure is part of the company’s overall plan to consolidate after missing its performance numbers by 30 percent
sad

Any one have news about the new precast plant in the new industrial center over by Pennsylvania ave? I think the Hunterdon Democrat had an article that they planned to ship by rail?
  by michaelk

wolfboy8171981 wrote:
R36 Combine Coach wrote:While in Flemington yesterday, noticed the Bemis facility on NJ Route 12 was now having a "Property Avaiable" sign. Another customer lost (which had covered hoppers on a regular basis).

Bemis installed the first rail siding at the plant in 1970 the same year that the Black River & Western bought the Lambertville - Flemington branch from the Penn Central.

Bemis was the anchor customer for more than 40 years.

Currently the only regular customer left on the BR&W is KB Service in Ringoes getting around 3-4 cars a week.
what does KB Service do? What do they get shipped in? (if you are at liberty to say) Google isn't clear.

Does the propane place in 3 bridges exist anymore? I haven't looked of late.
  by Ken W2KB

michaelk wrote:
wolfboy8171981 wrote:
R36 Combine Coach wrote:While in Flemington yesterday, noticed the Bemis facility on NJ Route 12 was now having a "Property Avaiable" sign. Another customer lost (which had covered hoppers on a regular basis).

Bemis installed the first rail siding at the plant in 1970 the same year that the Black River & Western bought the Lambertville - Flemington branch from the Penn Central.

Currently the only regular customer left on the BR&W is KB Service in Ringoes getting around 3-4 cars a week.
what does KB Service do? What do they get shipped in? (if you are at liberty to say) Google isn't clear.

KB Services is essentially a transload operation for construction supplies such as lumber, sheetrock, electrical conduit and so forth. Easily viewed from our passenger platform in Ringoes.

The propane business is still there but I don't believe it generates many carloads in a regular delivery sense.
  by R36 Combine Coach

Regarding propesctive customers, has Johanna Farms (parent company of La Yogurt and producer of refrigerated soft beverages) been considered? They do not have a siding or spur, but are just off the line. Possible deliveries could include high fructose corn syrup tankers (used in their beverages).
Last edited by R36 Combine Coach on Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by wolfboy8171981

michaelk wrote:
wolfboy8171981 wrote:

Ferrellgas gets propane seasonaly in the winter. This winter was very mild and they were not as heavy as past winters.

Johanna Farms is not situated for easy rail access, not impossible, but not easy. I do not beleive they are looking for rail service at this time.
  by pierrerabbit

Whoa! Did my eyes and ears deceive me, or did I just see LV 112 heading north past Johanna Farms Road??

Awesome!
  by wolfboy8171981

pierrerabbit wrote:Whoa! Did my eyes and ears deceive me, or did I just see LV 112 heading north past Johanna Farms Road??

Awesome!
Very Awesome. LV 112 is now Blue carded. Scott will send some pictures for me to share via the LV 112 facebook page. She is not ready to haul trains just yet, but she is getting there.
  by wolfboy8171981

BRRHT will celebrate National Train Day on May 12th with a open house of Privately owned caboose, their owners and the John L Bishop car.
Details at http://www.flemingtontrain.org/nationalTrainDay.html

Also, Tickets are still avaiable for the Photo Freight and Three Bridges Excursions on Memorial Day weekend.
Details at http://www.flemingtontrain.org/photoFreight.html
  by Sirsonic

wolfboy8171981 wrote:Also, Tickets are still avaiable for the Photo Freight and Three Bridges Excursions on Memorial Day weekend.
Any truth to the rumor that there will be a very special guest conductor on the photo freight? If what I heard is correct then people better get their tickets now before they're gone.
  by Ken W2KB

Sirsonic wrote:
wolfboy8171981 wrote:Also, Tickets are still avaiable for the Photo Freight and Three Bridges Excursions on Memorial Day weekend.
Any truth to the rumor that there will be a very special guest conductor on the photo freight? If what I heard is correct then people better get their tickets now before they're gone.
Just checked and the rumor is indeed accurate. Lack of a full moon not withstanding. ;-)
  by pierrerabbit

Just read on NJ.com that their are two un-named companies interested in the Bemis property.

Hopefully whoever buys will want to get their material by rail.
  by NYSW2300

Ken W2KB wrote:
Sirsonic wrote:
Just checked and the rumor is indeed accurate. Lack of a full moon not withstanding. ;-)
Is it Genevieve Goings from Choo Choo Soul?