• NYOW 116 to Arkville and DURR

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by chen1234

Otto Vondrak wrote:
lvrr325 wrote:It does seem kind of a shame to landlock this engine at least for the foreseeable future...
Wouldn't it be a bigger shame to have it stuffed and mounted somewhere? Landlocked or not, at least it will be kept operating...

I agree with Otto, this will keep it out of the scrap yard, hopefully for good! Not to mention the fact that it's now 100% accessible for everyone's enjoyment.
  by lvrr325

chen1234 wrote:
Otto Vondrak wrote:
lvrr325 wrote:It does seem kind of a shame to landlock this engine at least for the foreseeable future...
Wouldn't it be a bigger shame to have it stuffed and mounted somewhere? Landlocked or not, at least it will be kept operating...

I agree with Otto, this will keep it out of the scrap yard, hopefully for good! Not to mention the fact that it's now 100% accessible for everyone's enjoyment.
Of course my original point when I wrote that comment months and months ago was that the unit could instead have stayed on live rail for use hauling excursions given the NYS&W used it for trips right up until they stopped running any excursions at all.
  by Otto Vondrak

lvrr325 wrote:Of course my original point when I wrote that comment months and months ago was that the unit could instead have stayed on live rail for use hauling excursions given the NYS&W used it for trips right up until they stopped running any excursions at all.
True, though the unit is/was privately owned, and excursions off NYSW were not in the cards. Besides, the 116 is "tired iron" and deserves a "cushy retirement" in the Catskills. Who knows, maybe DURR will fire her up on special occasions... I'm sure we haven't seen the last activity of NYO&W 116!

-otto-
  by scharnhorst

I did on one rare occation get a chace to take pics of 116 parked behind the Mall I want to say in the late 90's maybe early 2000. I don't know what became of them photos but some day I'm bound to find all the negatives which I plan to have put on CD.
  by umtrr-author

Great stuff! I see from the photos that there are a lot more excuses... er, perfectly good reasons, to visit the DURR...
  by Amtrak700

Heres a few shots of the 116 on the D&U on the 1st day it ran up there, it performed well
  by Otto Vondrak

Amtrak700 wrote:Heres a few shots of the 116 on the D&U on the 1st day it ran up there, it performed well
Great shots, thanks for sharing! We need them to run a "photo freight" with the 116 someday...